Can you name this wood please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well folks, you be the judge. A few snaps, hope they are OK, by now I really want to know if my wife is right. Of course, I've told her she is which is what us married guys do, but now I actually need to know!

0802290011.jpg

0802290014.jpg

0802290013.jpg

See what you think!

K

kedwould

not a prunus family as it has distinctive red heart running throughout

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
...im still learning which tree is which whilst there still stood and living...

You’re not alone :) I'm 'punching above my wieght' with this one (as usual).

The heartwood looks too dark for starters...

I agree. I put the pics up of the plum wood as it can be as useful to ‘rule something out’ as ‘rule something in’.

...I've found the holly that I definitley collected there and it is like iron!...

Again I agree, the pic of the bark in post #1 doesn’t look at all like holly, at least none that I’ve seen.

That’s pretty close, isnt it? It’s a pity that the book illustrates a tangential cut and the sample is a radial cut.

I’ll be interesting to hear what Robin has to report.

not a prunus family as it has distinctive red heart running throughout

Do you know if all Prunus have red heartwood, kedwould?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
OK I have been playing with a few bits of wood and taken a few pictures. I would say that this sort of visual identification can only ever be aproximate. There are a few species, Oak, Beech, Box, Elm, Ash where a visual ID can be pretty certain but for the majority a microscopic ID is the only way to get more than "it looks quite like this to me"

Anyway having said that lets have a look. I would suggest looking particularly at the rays as these are less variable, things like grain pattern change depending how the wood is cut, how fast it is grown etc, colour is hugely variable and depends an awful lot on size of the piece, how it was dried, oxidation,fungal activity etc. I have seen many prunus for example that were pale cream till they were over 6" diameter. Blackthorn, Prunus spinosa for instance. I have also seen bright red blackthorn what I am saying is colour is not a reliable way of identifying species.

Now some pictures, first a good radial surface of some alder showing the rays. I am sure this is not a match.

X-alder.jpg

0802290013.jpg

and here some rowan see how none of the rays are longer than 2 growth rings and how tiny they are. Compare that to the alder and the plum posted by Green Man where the meduleries are very long crossing many growth rings and being much more prominent.
IMG_2587.jpg

and here is end grain and tangential surfaces.
IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

My piece is quite slow grown, a small branch from an old tree in an exposed tree at altitude (outside my workshop) but I think comparing the rays I would be happy to say "the wood looks quite like rowan to me"
Now this goes to show how useful it can be to remember what wood you gather...I don't think I would have considered rowan if Spamel had not mentioned it, normally when small it is quite pale creamy wood and in texture very like apple.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
So we are agreed then, it is more than likely Rowan? Brilliant, because it makes a fantastic hearth board and I'll try to use it from now on! Cheers Robin.

I think this thread has seen a lot of differing opinions and also a lot of ideas. It was a good lesson in the difference between woods that can sometimes not be as clear cut as most of us would think. In fact, the mystery has made this quite an exciting thread. Every time I've logged on, I've looked forward to seeing an update on this. It wasn't a thread I went out intentionally to try and trip anybody up, I really wasn't sure what it was and where I'd got it from at the start. Considering the fun I've had (and hopefully others) in getting to the bottom of this mystery, I'd like to do another in future, but maybe I'll take from a known source and keep the answer under my hat!

Thanks to everyone who helped out, even if you didn't come to the same conclusion. I think it has been as close to a debate as can be possible on a forum and not a cross word was spoken. I enjoyed it!

:D

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Just one last thought, something you could do to confirm the ID. Rowan has very characteristic bark, we can't see the bark in the picture you posted only the lichen. How about giving it a quick wash and gently scrub? Rowan bark is actually quite similar to birch only more silvery gray.

Big Mark

Banned
Oct 9, 2007
London
The heartwood looks too dark for starters, plus I've no idea where I would have found it! I don't collect many different types of wood and only recently got the lime from when I did the bark retting with The Ratbag. I am convinced it isn't that, plus it is too damned hard. I collected Rowan at Middlewood, I'm pretty sure of it. I've found the holly that I definitley collected there and it is like iron! They are gonna get used for Priests. So my money is on it being Rowan. I'll try and get a picture of the wood and the picture in the book up together and you may agree.

There are all sorts...they often embed themsleves in wood. They are essentially like a fruit tree...but harder...they are flowering cherries and almonds, etc. The bark and wood looks like some I have cut down (I used to work as a tree surgeon). It would explain why nobody can easily identify it - there are so many varieties and I have found them in woods.

Hope this helps?

Timbo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE