Can you name this wood please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've been using this bit of wood with a hazel spindle for my bow drill set to great effect. It took me no time at all, 3 years after learning this method and not practising it at all, to get an ember which sustained itself for five minutes outside! The thing is, I have no idea where I got the wood or what it is. I have a suspicion it is beech, but beech doesn't appear in any of the lists for good hearth board wood. So what is it?

0802260011.jpg

many thanks for looking. :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Erm....no, not at the minute! To be honest, there isn't much to see as it is rough on either end from whenever I cut it with a saw and there are big black holes all over it from the bow drill! I want to know what wood it is because I want to get some more, it really is that good.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
To be honest, the long grain would be more use for me than the end. Even just a section an inch long would do.

Bernie's suggest of Lime is a good possibility as the inner bark looks quite distinct like Lime but the bark is covered with so much 'green' it's hard to tell.

Is it very light in weight for it's size? Lime is not a very dense wood at all and I've found it to be excellent for a bow drill - the easiest wood going!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It's not as pale as lime, I have some lime in my man crap room with me and it is a more a reddish color. I cannot for the life of me remember where or when I got it which could have helped. I've got some more pics going up on Photobucket so bear with me a minute, but i think lime smells of cow poo when used as a hearth board and this doesn't.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I think it might be Alder, did you collect it near water?

Spoilsport! :p

I agree though.

Alder doesn't have a particularly 'strong' grain pattern from what I remember.

The inner bark is a good give away. It's quite thick on older wood and is used by the Sami for filling their engraved patterns on reindeer antler to give the distinctive red colour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE