Can we cut branches off of trees?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

purpleshark

Jul 30, 2017
Oxfordshire, UK
We go walking in the woods a lot with our children, I've tried googling but haven't been able to find an answer. Is there any rules about whether you can cut branches off of trees? If there is, where is the best place to buy wood for making spoons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
We go walking in the woods a lot with our children, I've tried googling but haven't been able to find an answer. Is there any rules about whether you can cut branches off of trees? If there is, where is the best place to buy wood for making spoons?

Simple answer is if you don't own the tree or have the owners permission then no you can't cut branches off of trees :nono: You could be prosecuted for criminal damage if caught doing so and the owner was so minded to press charges.

As for sources of suitable wood listen for the sound of chainsaws and speak to the person operating it. Or go out after a storm and pick up any windfall branches :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Plus 1 to Mesuite. The real question is, Does the owner of the tree mind if you cut branches off.

That said, I think you may have been asking if cutting branches off will actually injure the tree? That answer is a little more complex. Sometimes it might and sometimes not. The fact that you need to ask means that you probably don't have the experience to make that decision so it'd be best not to if you're concerned about the health of the tree (even if it's your own tree)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well as the good Bishop Berkeley famously said, if a tree falls in a forest and nobody is there to hear it, did it make a sound?

Basically leave alone unless you have permission, you might well think if nobody catches you doing it, it is all fine an dandy, but try to project that so far as if everybody did it and how much woodland would be left if they did?

Lacijag1

Forager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what i do is probably not allowed by law but ok by nature.
if i find a freshly fallen tree, usually after storms i cut a branch off from it. but that is just me when i am lucky.

i often buy fire logs, from diy stores or order some from ebay when i find a good deal:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...0.X+birch+logs.TRS0&_nkw=+birch+logs&_sacat=0

Jul 27, 2017
London
what i do is probably not allowed by law but ok by nature.
if i find a freshly fallen tree, usually after storms i cut a branch off from it. but that is just me when i am lucky.

i often buy fire logs, from diy stores or order some from ebay when i find a good deal:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...0.X+birch+logs.TRS0&_nkw=+birch+logs&_sacat=0

I have been trying to work out what "decorative only" means. Are they treated somehow, or is that just bizarre marketing?
I'm vaguely cynical about having any luck with tree surgeons or sawmills in London, though I haven't tried either yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE