Can Someone Review My Gear List Please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Without going through the full thread, maybe someone has mentioned it. but have you considered toilet roll/baby wipes....beats leafs or a stick any day of the week. :)

Now the leaves I get but... stick?

Wait, don't tell me. :lmao: I'm not sure I want to know! lol

Aye loo roll is on the 'list' (in my head, certain things like basic toiletries etc I didn't write down cos they're cheap and easy and little to no research is required). Loo roll is like God out there haha, I'd hate to be caught without it!

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've had to go through my wallet before now and use old receipts! - not nice.

a bar of soap and towel? [I used a spare T-shirt for a towel cause I like stuff that's multifunctional :)]

Tooth paste - my local dentist does little trial tubes of toothpaste you can help yourself to [within reason :)] better than taking an entire tube

and a brush - it is optional if you want to cut the handle off.

A full set of cutlery - my first walk I took just a spoon, as I was being a bit silly about carrying weight, it's much nicer to be able to eat properly.

edit///

well that took rather a long time for me to think about and even longer to type, so long in fact I now see my advice is actually not needed :)

honisoitquimalypense

Sep 14, 2015
oxford
Sorry... what? I didn't say I was experienced at all. I think you're getting horribly confused about everything here.

Let me be clear: PCT will not be my first hike, because - as you know quite clearly at this point - I don't intend to go until around 2018.

My first hike will be Scotland, in March 2016, where I will spend 3-4 days hiking a small(ish) trail called the Affric-Kintail Way.

Of course I'm checking all that stuff, but this particular thread and its purpose is quite clear. I'm simply asking if I've forgotten anything obvious, or added anything unnecessary onto a generic hiking/camping list.

First you send me a private message telling me to speak to you instead of the people here, as this forum is 'full of bollox', then you start insulting me for no reason? I didn't ask you to come in here and start lecturing me about the PCT, something which I am not even doing for three years. My only question in this thread was about general gear. I made that quite clear - had you actually stopped and read the posts properly, you would know that.

Everyone else here has offered advice, all you've done is indeed scaremonger. What on earth does my gear list have to do with people who get hit by cars on the PCT? (And by the way, that was the driver's fault because he fell asleep... could've literally happened to anyone, hiker or no).

Good day, unless you have anything gear related to speak about in this thread, I'm simply going back to the topic at hand.

please re read my original post.
please dont misquote my PM.
you could always post my private PM that i sent you to show the message and your presentation of it is out of context. should you decide to do so i will ask invigilators to look carefully at confidentiality breeches. when i can suss out i will post said message but thats my choice not yours.

reading your blog which is open to all i now understand.

i offered help thats all.

good day

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
i usually carry a handline when (overnight) walking in case there is an opportunity to catch a fish for diner...

Is that like a smaller version of a fishing pole (or is it more like the landing net type thing?). Sorry, don't know zip about fishing jargon haha :D that's a good idea though. Bet you can't beat your own caught-n-cooked meal after a long day's walk!

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Is that like a smaller version of a fishing pole (or is it more like the landing net type thing?). Sorry, don't know zip about fishing jargon haha :D that's a good idea though. Bet you can't beat your own caught-n-cooked meal after a long day's walk!

Just google 'Hobo Fishing Kit', there are various designs and types.

Or just make your own, very easy it is too.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Let me see - J cloths.
An ex-army friend put me on to using these to camp. They serve as T towels, for washing up, even a washcloth for yourself. Best of all, they are cheap and available from just about any shop. Bars of simple soap can work for washing hair as well as body - and wrapped up in a freezerbag they won't leak and take up minimal weight. It's easy to get a bit too relaxed about washing hands when hiking/camping but it is really important to do if you want to avoid stomach upsets (another thing from ex-army friend).

I'm a firm believer in using stuff you can get from everyday shops.

Aside from that, the other thing I'd say is important is to wear your hiking boots a lot. Keep your feet used to them. Best way to avoid blisters.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Without going through the full thread, maybe someone has mentioned it. but have you considered toilet roll/baby wipes....beats leafs or a stick any day of the week.

Loo roll for the trail, Mors Kochanski has some good ideas for that...

[video=youtube;5WS9fCMh4uk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WS9fCMh4uk[/video]

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Let me see - J cloths.
An ex-army friend put me on to using these to camp. They serve as T towels, for washing up, even a washcloth for yourself. Best of all, they are cheap and available from just about any shop. Bars of simple soap can work for washing hair as well as body - and wrapped up in a freezerbag they won't leak and take up minimal weight. It's easy to get a bit too relaxed about washing hands when hiking/camping but it is really important to do if you want to avoid stomach upsets (another thing from ex-army friend).

I'm a firm believer in using stuff you can get from everyday shops.

Aside from that, the other thing I'd say is important is to wear your hiking boots a lot. Keep your feet used to them. Best way to avoid blisters.

Oh yeah, 'copious hand gel' is already on the list ;) there are plenty of places to get organic body wash/soap from (so the residue doesn't kill grass, etc). Never thought of J-Cloths, great idea!!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On the personal admin side of things and keeping it multifunctional I do like my shemagh. (We've had a few threads on 101 things to do with a shemagh). I like to think of it in terms of a towel in Douglas Adams Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy... Always know where your towel is.
Mine is mainly used as a scarf, headcovering but also as a towel to keep clean, pot lifter, after dip robe, basket when foraging all sorts of things. I like all my kit to do more than one job if possible as it lightens the load and builds in redundancy. It may get you shot at in some countries but on the whole I've survived intact so far.:D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I do like my shemagh....It may get you shot at in some countries but on the whole I've survived intact so far.:D..."

No one has shot at me yet and I've been around.

I usually buy two at a time and use a sewing machine to stitch them together along one side. This doubles the thickness, makes for more insulation as a scarf and provides a bigger towel when needed.

:)

bearbait

Another +1 for Buffalo gear. In my experience it's robust (excluding sparks from open fires!), warm, but some of it doesn't necessarily squish down small for your pack.

As has, I think, already been mentioned in this thread Merino is a good base layer. You can go days without it getting too stinky - according to personal preference! In my experience it also dries very quickly when washed. According to external temperature I use Merino Long Johns and a T in my sleeping bag (in a silk liner). But not the icky ones I've been hiking in all day!

It's always nice to have some dry clothing to get into when in camp when you've been out in poopy weather all day.

Maybe you have some buddies you can borrow the odd bit of gear from for a day hike or the occasional overnighter to try stuff? In both decent and less decent weather conditions. Nothing like actually doing it to sort out that which works for you from that which doesn't.

Once you've decided what bits of gear to get don't skimp. In my experience decent stuff generally costs more but will likely serve you better and last longer. Bigger bang for your buck, or £ as we say here.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...It's always nice to have some dry clothing to get into when in camp when you've been out in poopy weather all day..."

Essential if you are using Buffalo gear, once you stop moving it'll be less capable of keeping you warm.

You can pick up the odd bit of second hand Buffalo gear but they can still be pricey second hand. (Ebay Search Link).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Essential if you are using Buffalo gear, once you stop moving it'll be less capable of keeping you warm.

You can pick up the odd bit of second hand Buffalo gear but they can still be pricey second hand. (Ebay Search Link).

My first one (one of the first ones) is still going strong. I gave it to a female ranger friend and she's still using it. It's it's one drawback is that over time they seem to shrink around the middle :rolleyes:

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Haven't read all the responses, but from about forty years experience of the out doors, as a scout leader and mountain
rescue leader of 13 years, I would strongly advise you to modify your target. In Scotland we can have arctic conditions
at any time of the year. I have been in Aviemore in the Cairngorms in June on the main road north and had snow and blizzard conditions, it is not impossible to have a hundred mile a hour gale on Ben Vorlich, when a pal and myself had to
crawl on our hands and knees within a 1/4 of a mile of the top in summertime. In the Summertime it is common for the rescue teams to rescue people from down South who having travelled a great distance to come up here to climb here
go against local knowledge and attempt things that locals advise against. I have climbed Ben Nevis three times in
good conditions, but there are many times that I would not consider it. Why not modify your target a bit till you have
a bit more experience. There are many challenging walks you could do in preparation. Before picking a route like this..
many of the rescues that are required, are due to people from down south, at a considerable distance who having come
so far, refuse to re consider, and go for their original target against the advice of locals, resulting in local volunteers having
to risk their lives to bring them out from impossible conditions, In Scotland we can have Arctic conditions at any time of the year. Don't forget, we love to have you up here enjoying yourselves, but safely.

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Another +1 for Buffalo gear. In my experience it's robust (excluding sparks from open fires!), warm, but some of it doesn't necessarily squish down small for your pack.

As has, I think, already been mentioned in this thread Merino is a good base layer. You can go days without it getting too stinky - according to personal preference! In my experience it also dries very quickly when washed. According to external temperature I use Merino Long Johns and a T in my sleeping bag (in a silk liner). But not the icky ones I've been hiking in all day!

It's always nice to have some dry clothing to get into when in camp when you've been out in poopy weather all day.

Maybe you have some buddies you can borrow the odd bit of gear from for a day hike or the occasional overnighter to try stuff? In both decent and less decent weather conditions. Nothing like actually doing it to sort out that which works for you from that which doesn't.

Once you've decided what bits of gear to get don't skimp. In my experience decent stuff generally costs more but will likely serve you better and last longer. Bigger bang for your buck, or £ as we say here.

Ahhh, would if I could, mate! I have one friend who might do the odd day hike (I am gradually convincing him to hike the first 100 miles of the PCT, though in reality he may hike the first 50 or so). My friends mostly have kids or husbands/wives and cannot/don't want to hike.

So my gear has to be my own - but I am not above buying used, as long as it still works! :) my sister, bless her, offered to loan me her tent/sleeping bag. But between them they get close to 10lbs cos they're 'ten man tent' kind of affairs, lightweight doesn't really fit into her vocab cos she has two young kids hehehe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE