Can I have some recommendations on Boots please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I need to replace the cheapo work boots I've been using

Requirements
All Leather
UK use
All year round
Walking/Bushcraft style activities

Was considering membrane like goretex or other for waterproofing but interested to hear thoughts on whether waterproofing in boots is up to scratch or even a good idea.

I've seen hi-tec Eudora's which look ok, Dark Horse Dave had some nice Lowa's (don't know which ones or how they been working out) and my inner 16 year old is still after some Danners (though I think he had a much better exchange rate).

Any and all advice welcome particularly on blisters.

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
I am really enjoying my Rouges RB5's, I've not had any problems with the lack of a waterproof Goretex layer, as I don't hang about in streams and I waterproofed them with creams and nikwax.
The only down sides are the laces, and footbed, they are bobbins, I replaced them and the boots have been great, also it's odd to feel the ground your walking on, and they are quiet.

clive.s

Aug 8, 2010
Hampshire
I've just been waxing lyrical about my Asolo 535s, they've done me well for snow/crampon work, bush work, river work for 3.5 years...

I'm not keen on waterproofing - because when, not if, WHEN your boots soak through (in a ford, river, puddle) then they're just heavy buckets.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
British army combat assault boot, take very little breaking in, as comfy as comfy slipppers, proof them with kiwi black, my current pair have lasted me for seven years with LOTS of hard work both walking and running with and without weight, very good IMHO.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
these ones were in Northern Ireland some time back but keep your eyes open, they or very similar turn up quite often ( check the size though as they are american sizes )

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
these ones were in Northern Ireland some time back but keep your eyes open, they or very similar turn up quite often ( check the size though as they are american sizes )

I have enough trouble keeping the other half out of there. She's obviously looking in the wrong sections. The contents can vary widely from store to store. I was sent to Belfast TK Maxx for Ferrari stuff, but then Irv was driving for them at the time so maybe all the Ferrari stuff was diverted to the Belfast store.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Unlined for me- the goretex membrane tends to reduce dramatically how quickly they dry out once they recieve a soaking (water over the top/rain dripping down legs), and the membrane will break down after a while.

To the above suggestions, i would add Lowa patrol boots (love my pair), and altbergs (many swear by them, but i couldn't get them to fit me properly, so went with the lowas). I think altbergs can be made to measure though. Whatever you do, try them on in the shop first, even if you must later order from the net to get the best price! Always worth asking if the shop will price match the net too.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
I need to replace the cheapo work boots I've been using

Requirements
All Leather
UK use
All year round
Walking/Bushcraft style activities

For just a weekend about camp, German Paras - bomb proof.
For walking and your budget doesnt stretch to Meindls/Lowas, I'm damn happy with my Brashers.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Well if your budget will stretch to it then pay a visit to the Altberg website - something for every desire and beautifully made in Yorkshire.

I can't speak highly enough of them.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE