Can i drink this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
You can kill all the germs with tablets or by boiling, but you cant get the pollution out. So the answer is it depends on how clean the water is. Canal water in cities often has lots of oil and chemicals in it from all the boats and industry, boiling wont fix that. But sometimes it gets pretty clear in the country. Generally, the rule of thumb is the higher you go, the cleaner the water.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Same is true of rivers too really. Just dont collect water from industrial areas, or anywhere near factories, land drains that sort of thing. Up in the hills, it's much safer and you can usually be pretty sure that boiling or tablets will do the trick. If you get up into very high places, then sometimes the water is so clean you dont need to do anything with it, you just need to watch out for sheep.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I would not drink canal water anywhere.

Apart from the oil pollution mentioned, there is the inevitable 'accidental' emptying of toilets into the canal from boats. Canals are essentially stagnant.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Can filtering through charcoal remove the heavy metals, pesticides and chemicals if you have no choice but to drink this tainted water?

Steve.

if you must drink from such water use a filter/pump system, they are getting very good now and will filter to a very fine micron (size). your after the filter with a ceramic block in it and an iodine block, the ceramic filters the chemicals and the iodine kills any bugs, jobs a fish....;)

make sure you look into it propperly first though...

regards.

chris.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Can filtering through charcoal remove the heavy metals, pesticides and chemicals if you have no choice but to drink this tainted water?

Steve.

Up to a point, yes, but it's a very limited thing. The charcoal doesnt actually filter the chemicals as such. The chemical molecules are minute and easily pass through the fairly coarse pores oft he charcoal - but the charcoal acts as a sort of pollution magnet. The chemicals kind of stick to the charcoal through a process called adsorption (not absorption). Charcoal filters reduce in efficiency very quickly and are only usually good for a couple of hundred litres at best. The best way to think of it, is that charcoal starts out by hoovering up a lot, but not all of the pollution and quickly gets filled up till it's just collecting a bit of it. Best used as a backstop when there might be pollution as well as bugs in the water, but you should not rely on them to clean water you suspect is heavily polluted.

Last edited:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
If you are near canals, get hold of a British Waterways key. They cost about a fiver (10 years ago anyway!) and open all the toilets, washrooms and taps on the canal system.

Simon

Last edited:

Lewishaloboy

Aug 16, 2011
Knottingley
Alright thanks for the answers i don't think i would drink from any canal near knottingley anyway or any other industrial town for that matter.I wouldnt like to camp out near here anyway i would think they are bigger and better forests obviously seek permission also.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE