Can I be the first person this year to mention ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
sloes!

I thought it was a bit too early but the trees in my local woods were brimming with 'em!

I'm trying a new recipe this year, called 'Hedgerow Gin':

500 g
500 ml gin
500 g sugar

Bung the whole lot in a large jar and seal and store in a cool, dark place for 1 year. Then decant off the spirit, discard (or eat) the fruit and enjoy!

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I have been making sloe gin for years and yes indeeed there is a good crop again this year but don't pick them yet as they are not ready or juicy enough. They used to say wait till the first frost so the skins are soft but pick them around October and wash and freeze over night. They are then ready for bottling. Hc Hic!!!!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I picked some today. I too have been making sloe gin for years, taught by my Grandma. They're plenty big enough and juicy enough at the moment where I am, where you are may be different. I think they'll all be gone/past it by October, they have been the last two years.

You're right about the first frosts though. These will go in my freezer for a few weeks until I get around to using them.

Mat - What's the first ingredient - there doesn't seem to be a quantity? That seems an awful lot of sugar - I normally only use a few tablespoons. Best to put in less now and add more later if you think it not sweet enough. You can't take sugar out.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Waiting for the frost is recommended as the harsh tannins in the sloe berries are reduced somewhat and a little more natural sweetness is released. The same effect is probably achieved leaving them in the freezer for a few weeks.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Yep, in much the same way as parsnips taste sweeter after a frost. I used to ***** them but as richaedon says the skins will split if you freeze them and that's the method I now use.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One of the recipies for Rowanberry jelly suggests bunging them in the freezer before use to sweeten them.

I have a bag of them in the freezer as of yesterday :)
Oh and I picked a few crab apples just in case it didn't want to set.

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
Scanker,

Sorry - my typo! Should have said 500g sloes. Yes, it does seem like a lot of sugar but that's what the recipe says so I'll see what happens. My usual recipe only uses a couple of table spoons so it's quite a big difference. That said, a mate got me 2 ltrs of Gordons for £15 :D so I'm not worried if it turns out yucky!

Mat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE