Can anyone recommend a sharpening kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Have been looking at Lansky sharpening systems, but have heard rumours theyre a bit tricky to use. Also been told about the Edge pro Apex system but cant seem to find a uk supplier - any ideas? Could anyone recommend a sharpening system that is easy to use and wont break the bank please.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
If it's just a stone you need then the Fallkniven DC4 or DC3, personally (and I have had both at once) I would go for the DC4 due to it's slightly larger size. Couple this with a leather belt and that's all you need.

If it's definetly a system you need then I can't help there, I've no experience.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I never got on with the DC4 found it too small. I picked up a oil stone from the carboot for 50p. However i have use a friends spyderco triangle sharpmaker and it is very simple to use, but a bit pricey.

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
Shep makes some very nice waterstone and leather strop field sharpening kits. Not sure if he has any left but he makes them in batches every now and again. There's a thread on them in the maker's section I think, or I'm sure you could drop him a line. I think they go for about £30, but don't quote me!

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Ive already got a DC4 in my pack and got a strop/waterstone kit on order with shep for use when out and about. I was after a system more for multi purpose sharpening at home for my various sharp things and kitchen knives and for getting edges back on blunt knives etc.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Have been looking at Lansky sharpening systems, but have heard rumours theyre a bit tricky to use. Also been told about the Edge pro Apex system but cant seem to find a uk supplier - any ideas? Could anyone recommend a sharpening system that is easy to use and wont break the bank please.

What kind of sharpening do you want to do? For maintenance of secondary bevels and to add small secondary bevels to a knife, it's hard to beat crocksticks and anyone can learn to use them is just a few minutes. If you want to sharpen a large flat bevel like a scandi grind, any flat stone or wet/dry sandpaper mounted on a block of wood will do. I favor sandpaper because it's relatively cheap and not messy compared to water and oil stones and you have tremendous options in terms of grit choice without having to buy a variety of expensive stones. Wet/dry paper is also light and easy to transport. I like to glue a piece of hard rubber on a block of wood to help the sandpaper dig in. You can see what I use in the pic below. The blocks can be held in the hand or clamped in a vise while sharpening.

For a strop, just glue some leather on a block.

I use a DC4 or a DMT diafold in the field red / Blue and a Green mini Hone (well i carry one in case but rarly need to sharpen that much when out) etc or Wet n dry wrapped round a shaped batton for Spoon blades

im spoilt for home sharpening as i use my Knife making Grinder and a set of DMT Dia Sharp 6" bench stones ( diamonds i guess)

if you want a system like the lansky then DMT do one called the Aligner i like that can be used on a bench stone as well as a guide

Did i mention i like DMT stuff ;)

May 18, 2011
Scotland
If your blade is semi sharp but not razor sharp i have been testing and found that basically anything that is flat and pretty smooth will work as a strop.

If you strop everytime you use your blade it will stay razor sharp. Unless you baton or chop with it this will work.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I have been using a Spyderco Sharpmaker for some time and getting good results.

I then purchased, after advise on BCUK some strop and compound (available from Longstrider of this parish)

The combination is a winner IMO and it is a doddle, even for an average sharpener like myself, to keep all my blades tip-top.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a combination or selection from the following - an Aldi 4 sided diamond block followed by wet and dry paper mounted on dense foam for "agressive stropping" followed by a leather on wood strop for the final edge... all cheap and cheerful - and devestatingly effective! As my left arm was almost always bald I have taked to slicing free hanging newspaper as a test of my edges...it feels realy good slicing up copies of my wifes favourite "Daily Wail (AKA "Hate Mail")!
Once I have my edge sharpened then I rarely need to use more than regular stropping - it takes a realy dinged blade for me to need the "coarse" side of the diamond block!

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi fgyt what shape is the batton for the spoon knives cos i am completely lost on sharpening mine so any help would be appreciated regards dave ps pm me if needed

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I have a lansky-system for some of my sharps here, and don`t find it tricky to use. I rather like it, and would recommend one. I have never tried any other jig/system though, so I can`t say I think it is the best option out there.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I can vote for the spyderco sharpmaker, it works fast and is pretty foolproof. I'm still deciding on buying the diamond sharpeners.

I like my sharpmaker but it's rubbish for reprofiling blades. The medium stones WILL at a push but takes forever. I've been reliably informed that some coarse wet & dry bulldog clipped to the (upright & fitted in place) stones will do the job of the super expensive diamond rods. I'm off to get some paper tomorrow.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I keep a small Dianova Lapstone which has 30 microns dimaond surface on one side and a 60 microns on the other. I find it very nice for just touching up a dulled blade, knife or axe to bring it back to sharp. Its small about 12cm long and light and fits neatly into my pack kit.
cheers
Gareth

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In the field I carry a small diamond hone from Casstrom and use my belt as a strop...just thought I should add my field kit list to the "home" kit....not that I find I need to do much sharpening on most trips...

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I don't get on with the Spyderco Sharpmaker for Scandi grinds and I don't think it works at all for convexes (?). I find it is very good at grinds with secondary bevels. It all depends on what you are trying to sharpen.

As has been said before, some wet and dry boards and a board-mounted leather strop - with an appropriately fine paste and the right technique - are probably the best bet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE