Can anyone recommend a good froe?

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
As per the title I am looking for a reasonably priced froe to handle anything from 6" to 12" diameter logs though probably not longer than a meter at the very most.

I have had varied success with wedges as they tend to be a bit inconsistent (I am splitting out bowl and spoon blanks) and want to try to get the cleanest split I can without resorting to a rip saw or similar.

Any advice or recommendations would be welcome and if anyone on the off chance has one going spare and would consider a trade PM me (Mods please move if this is not the right place to post this).

Any general advise on this would also be appreciated, essentially I am looking to cleave out very thick shakes/shingles to be used for blanks and think a froe would be the best way to achieve this without sawing?

Cheer, Hamster

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi mesquite, I have drooled over the gb ones but they are slightly out of my prices range (and I do love gb stuff) Mr budd would also be a great option though I suspect a bit out of my price range, I guess it won't hurt to ask the question though.

Red, I have looked at the Ray iles ones which are a contender and can't work out the difference between the standard and premium apart from a couple of quid price difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the ray isles one and the mini, they are very well made and a hell of a lot cheaper than gransfors ones

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Thanks ozzy how do you find it for giving a good clean break on green wood? I know it will never be perfect but I'm fed up of using wedges and getting hugely irregular splits that take an ages to hew and square up with an axe.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There is a real art to steering the split with a froe. By pushing and pulling on the handle you steer the split in different directions. Twisting can help but I never got the hang of it.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi red, I have seen quite a few videos of people splitting of fairly flat and square sections (shakes) by setting the froe in as deep as the width of the blade then using the handle as a lever and pulling it through 45-90 degrees (like an old one arm bandit) to break off the piece. I assume this is the correct way but not sure how you would incorporate a twist in there? It all seems quite counter intuitive as I was always taught never to use an axe haft as a lever when it was imbedded in a piece of wood - still it is another technique to learn which is always good!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can indeed pull like a slot machine, but also push the handle away from you which sends the split a different way. Then it is possible (but tricky) to pull the handle straight towards you - a guy showed me this but I have never got the hang of that.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have nothad any problems splitting green or seasoned wood unless the tree grew twisted but then nothing would split that stuff well. I seem to recall that the more expensive one from ray has some gri ding to the blade to thin it a bit

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Ok so following popular opinion I have just ordered a Ray iles large froe. Will try to have a play with it when it arrives next week and put together a mini review.

Cheers for all the input, Hamster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE