Can anyone help me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
.....but I see little point in the childishness of this thread and the "my knife is better than yours"
as said - it is a knife. it cuts. however it is a knife which apparently commands a similar reaction to the Bernie Garland knives when picked on.

I wonder if every one read your op in an Alf Roberts (home and away fame) would it have raised so many hackles?

I've read this thread through loads now and can't find a single post where peoples hackles have been raised because of the Woodlore being derided in any way. All I can see is people having alot of confusion with why SC wants an indepth video with as many caveats as he has noted, and how any useful info he wants can be gleaned from such a video anyway. Plus most people here have no idea what a real hardwood is..... apparently, and have no access to such hardwoods, so any test would appear moot. So the original post comes across as pointless unless it was posted to provoke and raise further argument. I think that is the essence to the slightly warm replies it has so far received.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Yeah, that's why I put a secondary bevel on mine. Scandi grinds are prone to chipping on bone and wood knots without them. That's why you don't see RM in the jungle or outback with his Woodlore when there is a better tool for the job.

Absolutely. Which leads me to something which confuses me even more, if the OP has indeed found the perfect tool for carving the concrete trees found only in his part of the outback, good for him. It's all about choosing the right tool for the job. Why would you then go onto a forum which is predominantly about bushcraft in Northern European forests, point out at length that the wood there is different to the concrete trees in his back yard and then wade into people who live in Northern Europe for choosing a tool which they have found to be well suited to that environment?

It's all a bit puzzling really.

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi SC,

I had a WS woodlore absolutely standard. It was one of the first ones Woodlore released in December 2003 IIRC.

Anyhow after we moved here to NZ it was my main knife for about 6 years. I did everything with it from carving to gutting out pigs and the odd Deer, food prep etc. It performed well and was easy to sharpen both at home and in the field.

It worked well on the hardwoods we get here in NZ Ti Tree ( Manuka, Kanuka) etc I happily battoned with it and used it with a fire steel etc... I even the back of the blade to descale snapper. It's only down side was in wet / damp bush the blade being tool steel would rust up pretty quickly lilkewise in salty conditions.

In the end I convinced myself a SS blade would be a good idea and moved the Woodlore on.

It was a prefectly useable knife and performed well here in NZ.

HTH

John

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I've read this thread through loads now and can't find a single post where peoples hackles have been raised because of the Woodlore being derided in any way. All I can see is people having alot of confusion with why SC wants an indepth video with as many caveats as he has noted, and how any useful info he wants can be gleaned from such a video anyway. Plus most people here have no idea what a real hardwood is..... apparently, and have no access to such hardwoods, so any test would appear moot. So the original post comes across as pointless unless it was posted to provoke and raise further argument. I think that is the essence to the slightly warm replies it has so far received.

nevertheless - many of the responses have been extremely bitchy.

all of this boils down to opinion and as such it is a moot point.

Andy

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Martyn

..... If there is one thing this thread is NOT about, it's looking for genuine feedback on the woodlore.
Whilst this is obviously your opinion, since I'm the one who started the post I've got to say you are making an assumption that is in error.

Any off track discussion has certainly not been started by myself (although I will put my hand up & admit to responding to some of the off track and petty personal remarks that have been made).

It seems to me that the course this post has taken is a result of "oversensitive people" who seem to think than any questions relating to the Woodlore is a direct attack on bushcraft in the UK.

Make no mistake Martin, if I'm prepared to have a go at someone, I won't hide it behind ambiguity :D

Kind regards
Mick

Last edited:

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Thecarotidpulse

.....Australian hardwoods are not harder than UK ones or North American ones.
There is a difference in the growth pattern and size of trees, one of the factors creating the difference between European and American style axe heads.
The Janka hardness rating seems to disagree with you.

BTW, since our dominant tree species are from different genus's to Nth hemisphere trees, the difference is really more than just growth patterns goodjob

Kind regards
Mick

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
As I understand it the Janka test is a pressure test, yes ?
Not a cutting test. Cutting is a very different action and the cell structure and the cellular inclusions (of silica, etc.,) are the defining issues.

Pressure versus shear.

I suspect that just as there is no one bushcrafting environment, that there is no one 'always the best' bushcrafting knife.

That said, our mesolithic ancestors managed, and all they had were stone cutting tools, and they used those effectively in every tree growing region on Earth.

What edge wear analysis shows, however, is that their edges show clear evidence of being maintained.
No different to our knives and axes then :D

Skill, adaptability, and reasoning can overcome some apparantly overwhelmingly unsuitable materials.

cheers,
Toddy

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Jonathan

I've kinda lost the point of this thread now. it seems to have degenerated into a 'my hard wood is harder than your hardwood' type parries :lmao:
I must admit it is regretable that you haven't been able to follow the evolution of this thread and have instead relied on a simplified summary.:(

The link that povided an independent comment about differences in wood was provided in response to the trite comments like "a mora could do all that has been showed", and "back in my boy scout days".

Since these ignorant comments were in reference to my opinions (that I explicitly stated were based on my own first hand experience), I apparently have made the mistake of pointing out that my comments are evidence based, rather than ignorant parochialism.

I'm sorry if reality happens to offend :p

Kind regards
Mick

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Southern cross you are stirring.

I have already said quite clearly that this is not a confrontational forum, and while discussion is valued, deliberate antagonism is frowned upon.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE