Can anyone help me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...you would have almost certainly have paid more than twice what I did. :D..."
G'day. Point taken, I guess what I was trying to say (in an admittedly ad lib manner) was that the WL didn't always have a £500 price tag or ten year waiting list. Additionally folks were buying them long before Ray became the celebrity he is today.

No one should be encouraged to think that the ownership of any tool or item of equipment will imbue them with more credibility or ability, but then I don't think anyone on this forum can be blamed for encouraging that type of thinking. Threads concerning 'just one knife scenarios' 'which grind' or 'advice on a knife purchase' are always popping up, the advice is often simply to buy a Mora.

Knife choice is only a tiny component of this hobby we have, folks should find one they are happy with and then get out and enjoy themselves.

:)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never had a Woodlore, but I have plenty of knifes in full flat, scandy and convex grinds. They all work within their design parameters - theres plenty of photos of me using them all around (although I have no intention of buying a video camera to prove anything to anyone). Of the very few knives I have personally disliked, Bark River knives are amongst them. Why? Poor construction (scales separated on one), disliked the grind and the sheaths are woeful. I did give Mike Stewart the feedback when he made the aurora that if he wanted to make a scandy, why not make a scandy? He didn't respond well to the feedback ;). Then again I really dislike Falkniven grinds too - they feel crude and clumsy to me. Having said all of that, I have seen people do great and precise work with BRs and Falkies and the like - people whose skills I respect hugely. What does that show? Not a thing I suspect other than most knives will perform well in suitably experienced hands unless abused. Mors Kochanski feels no need of a fancy knife of any grind - he gets by with a Mora and on his worst day I suspect he is many times more capable than any of us. I have a couple of knives I enjoy using and have come to trust over the years and those I carry. I hope others also have tools they are comfortable with - I don't expect their selections to be the same, as we probably do different things, I also don't feel the need to belittle their selections, I'm sure they can teach me things I don't know.

At the end of the day its a bit of sharp metal. I'm sure those through history who relied on knives for their lives would have been delighted with any of the modern knives available and didn't get too strung out on proving their edge geometry was the best - they would have probably laughed at such foolishness.

Red

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Southey

Hey Southerncross, I don't have the time at this moment, but i do have some lime and sweet chestnut drying and some projects for them in a month or so, I have a woody(25th anny if that still fits with your request) and a few other knives, one a close clone and a couple convex secondary bevelled edged knives, I will be happy to video the projects and use each knife to compare them, might need some advice when it comes to uploading the vids though dude,

Hope this helps matey!

Southey
I sincerly thank you :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_

I would be more than happy to offer any advise or help that is needed to upload your videos. All you have to do is ask goodjob

Please feel free to let me know via this thread or via a PT. goodjob

After all all, I'm after information and I am more than willing to help, so that this becomes readily available goodjob

Kind regards
Mick

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
You don't need to be a bushcrafter to survive an incident in the woods.... You need to be ressourcefull and creative.
However being a bushcrafter coupled with a calm mind will get you to survive.

The Woodlore IMO is not a "survival" knife. I would definitely want a larger blade for that, for the kind of woodlands that I frequent.

I'm looking forward to ordering an Enzo Trapper from Workwear Canada at some point - That and I already have the EKA w11 and that's as far as it goes for Woodlore shaped blades in my posession.
I have to say that I really like the design, the almost spear point so good for tip work.
I think that bushcrafting it primarily synonymous with woodcraft.
The edge of the woodlore being flush with the handle makes it not great for most food prep.. and it doesn't exactly have the most belly for animal prep.

I'm curious now,.... has anyone here used their "woody" (tee hee) for anything other than woodcraft?

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Wentworth

Not all our wood is hard. I don't know if you have anything in WA remotely rainforesty, but if so, head down there. Lovely soft carving shall be yours. I don't bother with woods from up the ridges......
Sorry mate, but all the wood I have available for Bushcraft is from either from the Central Tablelands of NSW or the Western slopes of the Snowy mountains :You_Rock_

Kind regards
Mick

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I'm curious now,.... has anyone here used their "woody" (tee hee) for anything other than woodcraft?

Oh yes(much to the bemusment of my wife, who bought it for me as a gift) all my knifes live in the kitchen draw when not in my bag for a wander, I absolutly belive that everything should be used else what the point of owning it, so all my knives get used for food prep, making sarnies, opening boxes, removing that annoying thread, they get mucky, wet, blunt and sometimes despite my best efforts they get washed with the rest of the cutlery and flatware, but it just means i get to care for them, keep them sharp and rub them with oil at least every month, my woody feels great in my hand :naughty: but it is a bit to wide at 4mm for chopping veg without tilting it to the side so as to present a verticle one side but i will still ping carrots all over the kitchen if not carefull, I find it great for boneing a joint, choking the blade to use the tip to cut meat from the bone is very comfy, I have a peasant that is much better at veg prep,

Last edited:

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Red

..... Mors Kochanski feels no need of a fancy knife of any grind - he gets by with a Mora and on his worst day I suspect he is many times more capable than any of us.
And what type of wood do you think Mors has access to in the Boreal forests of Nth America?

Do you reckon he is using what would be universally classed as hardwoods or softwoods?

Kind regards
Mick :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I really don't know what he works on over there, I watched him do some nice work on a variety of woods over here though.

Are you telling me I can't work on hardwoods with anything but a convex grind? If so, well, I'll just carry on doing it.

Red

Last edited:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
its a knife. it probably works on you're uber-hardwoods that you keep banging on about, although maybe with a bit more effort involved and it'll need sharpening a bit more often (an integral part of knife work anyway, if you don't like sharpening then you'd better crack on and scientist up a laser knife).
at the end of the day its a sharp bit of metal

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Wattsy

I really think you have missed the point.

I haven't been "banging on about" Uber hardwood, but I apparently have been wasting my time in trying to point out that my opions have been informed by experience with different types of woods than most on this forum have access to.

I appologise if somehow you, or others feel offended if what you consider as being hardwood isn't the same as what I happen to consider to be hardwood. :(

Kind regards
Mick

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
G'day Wentworth

Sorry mate, but all the wood I have available for Bushcraft is from either from the Central Tablelands of NSW or the Western slopes of the Snowy mountains :You_Rock_

Kind regards
Mick

The next time I go there I'll be sure to take a 3V knife then. I assume the place must have been uninhabited until the invention of 3V eh?

I didn't know you were a scientist. That changes everything. Do you only publish on ewetube and forums or are there other journals you publish your knife studies?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've kinda lost the point of this thread now. it seems to have degenerated into a 'my hard wood is harder than your hardwood' type parries :lmao:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Agreed Jon

Last I looked, "hardwood" was a term with an accepted meaning

wood from non-monocot angiosperm trees

It is totally distinct from "hard wood".

Hey if we are only worried about hardwood we could go and whittle some balsa :lmao::lmao:

The thing I can't figure out is that SC appears to be saying that he has different knife needs due to geographical and botanical variation - but is surprised that we have different knife choices. Choosing a knife suitable for your intended use in your environment seems pretty sensible to me?

Red

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Agreed Jon

Last I looked, "hardwood" was a term with an accepted meaning

It is totally distinct from "hard wood".

Hey if we are only worried about hardwood we could go and whittle some balsa :lmao::lmao:

The thing I can't figure out is that SC appears to be saying that he has different knife needs due to geographical and botanical variation - but is surprised that we have different knife choices. Choosing a knife suitable for your intended use in your environment seems pretty sensible to me?

Red

Makes sense to me. ;)

Last edited:

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
If my knife can't cut a piece of wood ,I get a softer piece.Easier than going home and getting a better knife.

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
OK.... So agreed. The point of this thread is gone and the horse has passed away, cause of death was repeated flogging...

Australian hardwoods are not harder than UK ones or North American ones.
There is a difference in the growth pattern and size of trees, one of the factors creating the difference between European and American style axe heads.

There's nothing wrong with Moras IMO, it's a matter of the right tool for the job.

SC, Mick. Your opinion is formed by the woods you're exposed to. This is true. But that's not to say that your colleagues here are myopic, or unable to realise that when you have a particularly knarly knotty stumpy tree to carve there's a chance you might chip your scandi grind.
I think everyone here knows that....

Right ive just finished a night shift, so I'm off to bed. Also finished this topic I think. (shrugs)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
But that's not to say that your colleagues here are myopic, or unable to realise that when you have a particularly knarly knotty stumpy tree to carve there's a chance you might chip your scandi grind.
I think everyone here knows that....

Yeah, that's why I put a secondary bevel on mine. Scandi grinds are prone to chipping on bone and wood knots without them. That's why you don't see RM in the jungle or outback with his Woodlore when there is a better tool for the job.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
3 - lots of sharpening tutorials out there... this thread is not about carbon vs stainless. It's about seeking out positive points and feel good pictures of the woodlore.

Is it? You could have fooled me.

It looks far more like someone trying to legitimise their own purchasing decisions by deriding those of others. But motive aside, the internet is absolutely chock full of images and reviews of woodlore and woodlore-type knives. They are carbon steel knives with a scandi-grind. There is absolutely nothing magical about the woodlore itself, any well made copy or clone will be just as functional. There is a whole nation of scandi users (the clue is in the name) who have been using carbon steel knives with this grind for centuries to survive in the woods and they dont depend on youtube or the internet for reputation. If there is one thing that there is no shortage of, it's reviews and opinions of carbon steel, scandi ground knives. If there is one thing this thread is NOT about, it's looking for genuine feedback on the woodlore.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
SouthernCross -

I don't own a woodlore - nor do I ever intend on owning one as you have correctly pointed out they are very expensive and to my mind I can not justify spending that kind of money on a knife when I can make something perfectly usable myself. - frankly even the £30 moras are beyond what I would be happy paying.

that said - I would be happy to give you an in depth review if I did have one. but I see little point in the childishness of this thread and the "my knife is better than yours"
as said - it is a knife. it cuts. however it is a knife which apparently commands a similar reaction to the Bernie Garland knives when picked on.

At end of the day mate - you would be best buying one yourself and trying it out - if as you say, it is a fashion item - then surely you will at the very least get your money back when you sell it.

atb
Andy

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
G'day Red

And what type of wood do you think Mors has access to in the Boreal forests of Nth America?

Do you reckon he is using what would be universally classed as hardwoods or softwoods?

Kind regards
Mick :D

If Mors is in northern Alberta,the hardest wood is birch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE