Can anyone help me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Waldganger

maybe you should also use italics :D

I am a little sad that I cannot just go out and harvest some decent wood for making a kuksa or spoon, our woods are too darn hard!!

If you have any suggestions what I could use Mick for some nicely figured but not to damn hard wood for carving that I could harvest locally that would be much appreciated

cheers
I'm probaly wrong here, but I was lead to believe that Italics was appropriate when you wanted to identify a quote (BTW, I am quite prepared to acknowledge that I'm wrong here :D )

If you want some easier to work wood, my suggestion would be to look for what is locally called a cyprus pine, or failing that, to look for a tree species that has been introduced from the Nth Hemisphere :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Kind regards
Mick :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A quick rule of thumb.
Posting on the forum USING CAPITAL LETTERS is considered to be SHOUTING.
Posting on the forum and using bold for emphasis is considered to be emphatic or loud voiced remarks.
Quoting, "posting on the forum", using quote marks is easily understood.
Italics are a simple, non confrontational way of emphasising a word or phrase.
Using asterisks *around* a word or phrase works in a similar fashion.

Yes/ no ?

cheers,
Toddy

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Toddy

A quick rule of thumb.
Posting on the forum and using bold for emphasis is considered to be emphatic or loud voiced remarks.

Yes/ no ?

cheers,
Toddy

Thank you for providing me with an easily understood and acceptable way of adding emphasis to my posts here without offending people. :You_Rock_

Even though this is different to my training as a scientist, it is something I will remember should I decide to continue to post here :D

Did the above show my understanding of your intended meaning?

Kind regards

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada

I am a little sad that I cannot just go out and harvest some decent wood for making a kuksa or spoon, our woods are too darn hard!!

If you have any suggestions what I could use Mick for some nicely figured but not to damn hard wood for carving that I could harvest locally that would be much appreciated

cheers

A quick rule of thumb.

Yes/ no ?

cheers,
Toddy

See I like replies like these. I don't think Mick here was trying to ruffle anyone, or asked the question in order to be ruffled himself.
The way I interpreted the post itself opened doors for discussion on issues like:

- Is there too much significance of Hype in modern bushcraft? Ex: you buy a RM woodlore and bring it to a meet and everyone goes "ouh ah" and perhaps doesn't pay as much attention to the knock off or a smaller custom maker
- does this potential hype lead people away from making informed informed *informed* Informed descisions on their personnal gear? Ex: I want a new shirt. Should I buy a Swanndri or a Swazy? I've seen RM wear a swannie.... sooo.....
It doesn't mean that RM doesnt wear Swazies too - or wear a suit for that matter. Just that there isn't the footage of it.
Also i see this much in Swedish made axes. Who really knows the difference between Gransfors, Hultasfors, Wetterlings, Hults Brucks and the other makers. And what axe do most people buy? Gransfors. Why?
- looking at the impacts of just how overpriced the tool is - the fact that O1 is so much more available than SGPS etc the price difference is indeed supply and demand.
What does this say about the proliferation of bushcraft internationally? Surely the demand cannot be all UK driven what with your knife laws. AKA is the price hike on Woodlores yet another positive symptom of how our hobby is growing?

I recognize that the woodlore is overpriced... do I want one? .... (squeaks) yes....
It's cool.

Oh and knife collecting vs knife using....
I've looked through a couple of custom maker knife magasines, like the ones that inlay rubies, silver etc.
THOSE knives are for collecting.... The woodlore is a user knife that I would bring out, make a couple feather sticks per month with, fondle, look at, and collect. Does that even make sense?
- in that way it would provide me with pleasure, as I'm sure it would those who own one.

Last edited:

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
Oh come on mick....

Let's all tone down and look start over. Perhaps as you mentionned it is hard to convey by writing the meaning meant by an individual - and we should take posts at a grain of salt.
It's a lesson I learned the hard way on the forums.

p.s I'm sure that Toddy writing in here wearing his Mod hat (one which you also wear) made that post in an effort to level the connotation playing field and create a common ground that transcends cultural or fad boundaries. I do not think that he was insulting your intelligence or your education.

Last edited:

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia

cheers

Not all our wood is hard. I don't know if you have anything in WA remotely rainforesty, but if so, head down there. Lovely soft carving shall be yours. I don't bother with woods from up the ridges.

Mick,
I only have the SWC version of the woodlore, but I understand the specs are pretty much the same. I find it to be great for extended carving. Now it has a micrbevel, it holds an edge well. The fat handle doesn't cause blisters or cramping either. I can't stand thin handles.

Here's a pic of mine. It's got a nice patina now, this was the first carving I did with it. I've used it for food prep at camp, but mainly woodwork, so this won't met all your criteria. But I love it.

ladle1.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
G'day Toddy

Thank you for providing me with an easily understood and acceptable way of adding emphasis to my posts here without offending people. :You_Rock_

Even though this is different to my training as a scientist, it is something I will remember should I decide to continue to post here :D

Did the above show my understanding of your intended meaning?

Kind regards

I'm a scientist too Mick :) and it took me an age to realise the differences in presentation between paper and net, and the cultural ones as well.
Thecarotidpulse made a good point about the underlining of words or phrases too, I forgot to add that method. Generally used to indicate a point of particular interest that might be sought out again, but used instead of Italics on occasion.

There was no intent to offend, just a simple clarification of the ways that emphasis punctutations are perceived on the forum, and an attempt to get the thread back on track.

cheers,
Toddy

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Now bear in mind, the linked post was also made despite the dominant thought being expressed on the internet that stainless isn't suitable for Bushcraft. :lmao:

The dominat thought is for a good reason. Steels with good edge retention like the high wear crucible steels such as 3V or even good old fashioned D2 do hold an edge for a long time, but they are notoriously difficult to sharpen. I suppose that it is obvious, if you have a steel that is very resistant to wear, it'll also be resistant to abrasive sharpeners. So this gives you two options, do you go with a knife that is easy to sharpen but needs regular maintenance, or do you go with a knife that keeps it's edge for a long time but takes forever to get it sharp again when it does go dull? I think the answer depends on your accessibility to a decent sharpening system. I notice all your videos are located on your farm, I didnt see anything filmed out in the bush. How is carving stuff on your farm, bushcraft? By definition, a bushcraft knife is a knife used out in the woods, away from home and most importantly, away from your workshop. This limits the kind of tools you can take and use ...which in turn governs to some extent, what type of steel is most useful in this situation. Most people, though not all, but certainly most, do prefer carbon steel for bushcraft for this reason.

I note the one glaring omission from your BR review, was a sharpening tutorial. ;)

I do love crucible steels and have several knives in that flavour, but they are mostly folders - I still prefer plain carbon steel for a woods knife and it's perfectly capable of carving any hardwood, even if it does require a little maintenance. Little and often is the sharpening mantra, this keeps the knive razor sharp at all times and you are never in a position where you have a dull knife, made from a highly abrasion resistant steel and you cant sharpen it because you've dropped your diamond hone in the swamp you just crawled through.

Last edited:

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
It's done... I'm jumping in on this discussion! (after all... this is a Forum - not just a Mick Martyn conversation!)
I've numbered the points in Martyn's post in order to make it realy easy to reply:

1- they are notoriously difficult to sharpen.
2- I notice all your videos are located on your farm, I didnt see anything filmed out in the bush. How is carving stuff on your farm, bushcraft? By definition, a bushcraft knife is

3- was a sharpening tutorial. ;)

4- you've dropped your diamond hone in the swamp you just crawled through.

1 - not difficult to sharpen at all if you have a Diamond Hone. I've just near completed an extended review of the Fallkniven SK1 which includes almost a reprofiling of the edge to my liking. I did grunt work with diamond, that was easy, but was able to follow up with sandpaper with much success.
If difficult, it was definitely not impossible. I've also done good work in the field with my field kit mousepad/ sandpaper cut down to size.

2- This is a bushcraft forum, you've just contested Mick's knowlege / experience in the bush.
Aside from possibly provoking him (i'd be provoked) if this rests your mind, i've followed his posts for a while, and if you look on different forums where he participates he has lots of posts of extended hunting trips, and expeditions at home and abroad where he is near self reliant in his camp. You have nothing to worry about his expertise outside the farm.

3 - lots of sharpening tutorials out there... this thread is not about carbon vs stainless. It's about seeking out positive points and feel good pictures of the woodlore.
And I'll throw this out there too: I haven't myself seen a comprehensive review that's focussed on the knife (RM focusses on the task) . But sometimes like with the woodlore the design and appeal of the blade compensates for that and you're just drawn...

4 - So what if you drop your knife steels/ sandpaper/ hone / whatever you use to sharpen carbon steel?
For sure if i was going to live the life of an Amazonian native I'd want a knife that i could sharpen on the sidwalk (or a rock)... but that's why I get a good backpack. So I don't drop my stone.

Just a couple of points.... don't take this as an offense bud.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Thecortidpulse

See I like replies like these. I don't think Mick here was trying to ruffle anyone, or asked the question in order to be ruffled himself.
The way I interpreted the post itself opened doors for discussion on issues like:

- Is there too much significance of Hype in modern bushcraft? Ex: you buy a RM woodlore and bring it to a meet and everyone goes "ouh ah" and perhaps doesn't pay as much attention to the knock off or a smaller custom maker
- does this potential hype lead people away from making informed informed *informed* Informed descisions on their personnal gear? Ex: I want a new shirt. Should I buy a Swanndri or a Swazy? I've seen RM wear a swannie.... sooo.....
It doesn't mean that RM doesnt wear Swazies too - or wear a suit for that matter. Just that there isn't the footage of it.
Also i see this much in Swedish made axes. Who really knows the difference between Gransfors, Hultasfors, Wetterlings, Hults Brucks and the other makers. And what axe do most people buy? Gransfors. Why?
- looking at the impacts of just how overpriced the tool is - the fact that O1 is so much more available than SGPS etc the price difference is indeed supply and demand.
What does this say about the proliferation of bushcraft internationally? Surely the demand cannot be all UK driven what with your knife laws. AKA is the price hike on Woodlores yet another positive symptom of how our hobby is growing?

:You_Rock_:You_Rock_
I readily acknowledge that not everyone has the same history with my internet posts that you do. goodjob

If this is something that isn't acceptable here, then by all means let me know & I won't bother anyone here again .

BTW Noddy, as you can see I have taken noticed of your previous advice :D

Kind regards
Mick

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mick, if that was a simple spelling mistake then your response will be taken as such, but to be honest the entire tone of it is confrontational.

We do discussions, we rarely do confrontational. Too tedious :(

Toddy

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Toddy

I'm a scientist too Mick :) and it took me an age to realise the differences in presentation between paper and net, and the cultural ones as well.
Comming from a fellow scientist, I would love to know what your speciality is (personally I hold a double degree, majoring in Physics & Chemistry with a minor in Biology goodjob ).

Kind regards
Mick

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Archaeology and Geography with a bias to ethnobotany, particularly those plants and technologies used in textile production :D
All done under the aegis of Faculty of Science, not Arts or Social Sciences.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hey Southerncross, I don't have the time at this moment, but i do have some lime and sweet chestnut drying and some projects for them in a month or so, I have a woody(25th anny if that still fits with your request) and a few other knives, one a close clone and a couple convex secondary bevelled edged knives, I will be happy to video the projects and use each knife to compare them, might need some advice when it comes to uploading the vids though dude,

Hope this helps matey!

Southey

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Thecorotidpulse

1 - not difficult to sharpen at all if you have a Diamond Hone. I've just near completed an extended review of the Fallkniven SK1 which includes almost a reprofiling of the edge to my liking. I did grunt work with diamond, that was easy, but was able to follow up with sandpaper with much success.
If difficult, it was definitely not impossible. I've also done good work in the field with my field kit mousepad/ sandpaper cut down to size.

2- This is a bushcraft forum, you've just contested Mick's knowlege / experience in the bush.
Aside from possibly provoking him (i'd be provoked) if this rests your mind, i've followed his posts for a while, and if you look on different forums where he participates he has lots of posts of extended hunting trips, and expeditions at home and abroad where he is near self reliant in his camp. You have nothing to worry about his expertise outside the farm.

(1) Please bear in mind that most people these day don't think it's possible to sharpen a convex using a hand held stone, (lets put aside for the moment the fact that for the last 6 years I have been stating this is possible on other internet forums, irrespective of the fact that there seems to be an accepted idea that you can only use a mouse mat & wet & dry abrasive :D ).

As a matter of fact, for those who are inexperienced enough to think it's only possible with a hone, I have contributed to a sharpening tutorial that focusses on only using a stropping techinque to sharpen a convex edge (bear in mind you'll have to look through this post to find my contribution :D ) http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/751826/tp/1/

After all, what's important is that those who actually use their knives enough to dull them in the field can find out how to restore the edge whilst in he field :You_Rock_

(2) To be honest, it's been a long time since I've worried whether or not others believe I know what I'm talking about. For those who bother to look at all the videos I have posted on the net, you will see that a very small portion of them have been filmed on the farm. After all, most people who post on the internet (irrespective of where they live) really don't need to know what's required to live long term in the wilderness. IMO, that's why there is such a focuss on survival only lasting for 3 days :lmao:

It also explains why I no longer bother to post on at least 2 different internet forums :D

Kind regards
Mick

Last edited:

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Toddy

Archaeology and Geography with a bias to ethnobotany, particularly those plants and technologies used in textile production :D
All done under the aegis of Faculty of Science, not Arts or Social Sciences.

cheers,
Toddy

:You_Rock_:You_Rock_:You_Rock_

I would love to have an extended chat with you one day (obviously when time permits :D )

Kind regards
Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE