Can anyone compare Mears vs DD tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
I currently own the Australian Hootchie as used by Lord Mears and sold on his website. in short, i've found it to be awesome!
However lately i've been wanting a change and am thinking of going for a square tarp, namey the DD 3x3 tarp which seems to be rather popular of late.

I wondered if anyone was in a position to give a comparison on the fabrics? particularly durability.

The reason i'm asking is that my favourite aspect of the Aussie hootchie is the fabric itself, and having own flimsier tarps in the past i wouldn't want to buy the DD tarp to find it to delicate.

either way i'd be looking to sell my Aussie tarp to buy the DD or (being the needle toting craft tinkerer that i am) may buy a cordura fabric and make my own.

Erro

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
DD Tarps aren't the most robust out there by any stretch. Saying that they're light and pack down small and they don't cost a lot. I've used mine for a few years now under all sorts of conditions and above countless fires and only have a few small ember burns in it. I haven't bothered repairing it because they're not big enough to concern me. The old DD tarps were twice as thick and weighed a ton but stood up to allsorts and didn't even let searchlights on helicopters through!

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
DD Tarps aren't the most robust out there by any stretch. Saying that they're light and pack down small and they don't cost a lot. I've used mine for a few years now under all sorts of conditions and above countless fires and only have a few small ember burns in it. I haven't bothered repairing it because they're not big enough to concern me. The old DD tarps were twice as thick and weighed a ton but stood up to allsorts and didn't even let searchlights on helicopters through!

I have a small hole in my DD tarp which I covered with a tiny piece of Duct tape, no leaks.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would personally stick with the aus tarp out of the two, the DD material is horrid flappy crisp packet stuff, its why I gave mine away and went back to my basha, I don't think the extra space is worth the drop in quality and quiet the auscam basha gives and you won't notice any weight difference. Just my two penneth

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I use a 3 x 3 DD tarp, it has a little melt in it when i brushed against it with a colman..... but find it does what it says on the packet, lol, one thin i have noticed on the size is I would like a bit more lenth the the ends of my hammock would be well and truly covered so if i was to by another one it would be the XL tarp... but that just my way of thinking, i am a big chap, so all the extra room is good, lol

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I use a 3 x 3 DD tarp, it has a little melt in it when i brushed against it with a colman..... but find it does what it says on the packet, lol, one thin i have noticed on the size is I would like a bit more lenth the the ends of my hammock would be well and truly covered so if i was to by another one it would be the XL tarp... but that just my way of thinking, i am a big chap, so all the extra room is good, lol

Tried the diamond pitch setup?

...... Failed dogger and alleged bigot!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Tried the diamond pitch setup?

I have, i tend to like to pull the windward side down to the floor, when its windy or beable to pull in the ends as well if need be if the wind turns, but thank you for the sugestion, it most welcome.

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
I've been looking at the Alpkit Rig7 tarp, it's a little smaller and I think it packs down smaller, that and so lash-it ropes and you've got a super light weight set up.

Sent from my pie-phone, via Tip-top......…hmm Tip-top!

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
thanks to all the replies there folks, i did wonder just how thin the material would be on the DD so thats that answered for me :) tho i do agree its and excellent price for what you get, a bargain actually.
I've just been in touch with the woodlore team about the aussie tarp i own and it apparently a 100 denier nylon, i found a good site for bivi fabrics and i may well make my own now. i'll post the results at some stage.

Southey, i do really like my aussie tarp for its robust-ness but i'd like the flexibility a square tarp would allow me when pitching different set ups.

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
apologies for the thread hijack - but if you decide to part with you hoochie can i have first dibs?

onto the topic in hand - re the DD tarp - I have been looking into buying one myself and general consensus is cheap, light and not the most robust on the planet - there seemed to be a dodgy batch of DPM's a while bag which were ripping in the slightest wind - can't remember where i read that but i'll have a look.

regards
max

I currently own the Australian Hootchie as used by Lord Mears and sold on his website. in short, i've found it to be awesome!
However lately i've been wanting a change and am thinking of going for a square tarp, namey the DD 3x3 tarp which seems to be rather popular of late.

I wondered if anyone was in a position to give a comparison on the fabrics? particularly durability.

The reason i'm asking is that my favourite aspect of the Aussie hootchie is the fabric itself, and having own flimsier tarps in the past i wouldn't want to buy the DD tarp to find it to delicate.

either way i'd be looking to sell my Aussie tarp to buy the DD or (being the needle toting craft tinkerer that i am) may buy a cordura fabric and make my own.

Erro

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Just to add some more options:

I've owned a USMCPro, 3 x 3m DPM tarp for years. Mainly used for "stealth" camps but well built.

Due to increased demand by the kids, I've just bought another tarp off them for my "stealth" camps...this time in multicam, again 3 x 3m. The new tarp is lighter than the old one, but just as well made. It only arrived this week, so has yet to be put to the test "in anger", but first impressions are good.

USMCPro are now known as UKMCPro...same company, different name.

Simon

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Just to add some more options:

I've owned a USMCPro, 3 x 3m DPM tarp for years. Mainly used for "stealth" camps but well built.

Due to increased demand by the kids, I've just bought another tarp off them for my "stealth" camps...this time in multicam, again 3 x 3m. The new tarp is lighter than the old one, but just as well made. It only arrived this week, so has yet to be put to the test "in anger", but first impressions are good.

USMCPro are now known as UKMCPro...same company, different name.

Simon

Simon- looks cracking- do you know what the weight is? This doesn't appear to be given (from what i've seen) on the website..

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
i have a usmcpro tarp and the webbing came unstitched on one loop on first use,and it developed a leak at the seam repaired both faults but kinda left a bad taste for future buying of these.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE