Camping & Woodcraft...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I was thinking of buying the book: Camping & Woodcraft by Horace Kephart. I think i'll buy it from Amazon or so.

I can understand that it covers old, native skills for use mostly in Rocky mountains, woods of Canada. Just my type of terrain. Pretty thick, but small right? :wink:

Is this book good??? :shock: :) (does it cover how to build a log house/cabin?) :roll: :wink: Would love to try that! :lol:

Or should i buy Scouting for boys instead??? :-D

Cheers :uu:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The early book by Mears is excellet too ... The Survival Handbook. Great read but hard to find nowadays.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Kepharts book is good if not very PC.

I agree with Adi that is his best book as it is actually a manual - and as pointed out else where another two good manuals are Richard Graves and Mors Kochanski.

another little gem (if not a little odd until your used to it) is Wildwood Wisdom - this too is a vaste well of information, lore and even a little humour.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Adi007 said:
The early book by Mears is excellet too ... The Survival Handbook. Great read but hard to find nowadays.

I was lucky enough to get a copy of this about 5 or 6 years ago, or so. I agree with Adi - it's his best book and there's loads of stuff on cordage, flint knapping, etc.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

But is there a difference on the info in the survival book he's selling now and the old one?? (RM's) :roll: :?:

And what is the difference between his survival book(s) and the bushcraft books (essential & coffee table) :shock: :?: :wink:

Haven't seen the old one, but on Amazon.com there's a book called 'The Outdoor Survival Handbook', by Raymond Mears.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-0341366-6601617?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
TheViking said:
Hi...

But is there a difference on the info in the survival book he's selling now and the old one?? (RM's) :roll: :?:

And what is the difference between his survival book(s) and the bushcraft books (essential & coffee table) :shock: :?: :wink:

Haven't seen the old one, but on Amazon.com there's a book called 'The Outdoor Survival Handbook', by Raymond Mears.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-0341366-6601617?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Out of the three books (The Survival Handbook, The Outdoor survival Hndbook, and Bushcraft) personally I think that the best is The Survival Handbook. It may not have the nicest photos or illustrations of the three but I think that it was written for people who wanted to learn about buchcraft (woodlore, backwoodsmanship whichever term you want to use) rather than being aimed at a more commercial market.

Bushcraft is certainly a nice coffee table book. For me it doesn't really differ that much from the other two books in terms of content (Usual chapters inluding equipment, fire, water, shelter, food) more in the style and quality in which it is presented. I havn't a copy of Essential Bushcraft but I think it is thesame text but in a smaller format.

The Outdoor Survival Handbook is third on my list, but not because it isn't any good however. A nice feature is the way that the information is split into the different seasons and so helps you know what to practice and what to look out for during the year.

If you can I would reccommend you to try and get a copy of The Survival Handbook. My copy is now getting very worn and I'm trying hard to get a new copy myself. You never know if Mr. Mears gets enough requests for copies of the book he may even consider a reprint or an updated version.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Wolfie said:
You never know if Mr. Mears gets enough requests for copies of the book he may even consider a reprint or an updated version.
Unfortunately, I've asked and been told it'll never happen :?: :cry:

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Adi007 said:
Unfortunately, I've asked and been told it'll never happen :?: :cry:

Pity! Its probably my favourite book on the subject. I'll just have to try and get a second hand copy through Amazon.

leon-1

Gary said:
another little gem (if not a little odd until your used to it) is Wildwood Wisdom - this too is a vaste well of information, lore and even a little humour.

I really like this book, as Gary says it may take a little getting used to, but is an excellent read. Some of the illustrations hold a certain comic value as well as being well thought out and informative.

There is a lot in this book, making your own kit (it is more the period type outdoorsman clothing), lashings and field skills. :-D

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
leon-1 said:
I really like this book, as Gary says it may take a little getting used to, but is an excellent read. Some of the illustrations hold a certain comic value as well as being well thought out and informative.

I agree, a very interesting and informative book.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE