Camping+ Sleeping in below zero temperatures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
hi, I have not yet camped out with just a tarp, bivi-bag and sleeping bag in these harsh conditions, i thought it would be fun or an experience to try it out. What is your advice for sleeping in cold temperatures in England?

I have a tarp and US issue Bivi +sleeping bag system that is supposed to be able to go down to -30 if used correctly so im guessing this should do the job just fine. One thing i wanted to ask about though is my Bivi bag... It has a flap at the top that can go over your head (do all bivi bags have this?), this may sound like a stupid question but is that sensible to have a totally enclosed bivi-bag? Wont air get short in there? and wouldn't your breath condense on the inside making your sleeping bag etc all wet? In the summer i have stuffed this flap down infront of my head so that it was not over my face, is it advisable to enclose the bivibag right up in cold weather? The bivi bag is goretex so does this mean that it is breathable but waterproof?

Many thanks for answering my questions!
Jon:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It sounds like your setup will do just fine to me Jon. If the hood is similar to the uk issue bivi bag then you can cinch it down around yourself but leave your face exposed. You can wear a balaclava if it get too cold though.
You definitely don't wan't to be breathing into your bag all night because you'll get condensation on the underside which will wet your bag eventually. Not too big a deal if it's just for one night but overtime it would give you problems trying to dry it out.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
good idea about the balaclava

this is what my bivibag looks like... in some ways, when its all closed up it looks more like a camo body bag than a bivi bag:lmao:

US-CAMO-BIVVY.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
is wearing a balaclava necissary? i have a normal 'Thinsulate' hat would this do a good job? Do most people wear a balaclava when sleeping out like this?

You should be fine with a hat Jon, I've only worn a balaclava once and that was mainly due to the fact I'd brought the wrong sleeping bag and was trying to make up for it.

An open tarp is a little different to a tent as you tend to feel the cool air move around you, not so noticeable in mild weather but you definitely notice it more in cold.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Jon, please don't go on your own the first couple of trips, or at least make sure you are spitting distance from your car or home.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Don't forget some old-skool methods of keeping warm at night:
Star-jumps before bedtime (personal favourite).
Sigg bottle (or equiv.) used as hot water bottle.

I'll allow others to continue.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Keep a fire in, build a self feeding fire. With a reflector and sufficient distance away not to frazzle your nylon tarp it may still warm up the area by one degree but the psychological effect is immeasurable.

A couple of rocks heated in the fire wrapped in socks. Choose the rocks carefully so they don't explode.

Also have a wide mouthed and CLEARLY labelled bottle to wee in, so when you are warm you don't have to get out partially clothed to pee, cool down and then have to warm up again. As long as you haven't dribbled! the bottle can also be used as a hot water bottle.

Not so important at a camp with friends with a big fire but very important when by yourself, DON'T go to bed bladdered. Alcohol thins the blood and you WILL be colder.

Enjoy yourself.

Last edited:

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
I generally get my outer wear down to the thermals and sleep in them, with a baraclava as it dosent fall off when i roll around, a buff to keep the neck warm and a pair of gloves for the fingers, and a must is dry socks surprise how sweaty feet get cold quick, im a wrestles sleeper and often wake up with my head on my arm half out my bag :)

fill up your water bottle with warm water and put your sock over it save risking exploding rocks :)

good insulation underneath i.e. thermarest or some such.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
My first real night out in snow was the Herts meet last week and I was in a tent as I had the kids with me.

The only time I was chilly was when i woke up at about 05:00. My hat had fallen off. As soon as I put it back on I was toasty again.

So that is the only advice I could give... keep your hat on :)

Cheers,
Steve

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
That sleep system is the US Army Modular Sleep System and iiirc it provides enough warmth for a soldier for 4 hours sleep at -40c. You should be ok but just take heed of the sound advice in the previous posts mate. Oh, and enjoy yourself, lol

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
That sleep system is the US Army Modular Sleep System and iiirc it provides enough warmth for a soldier for 4 hours sleep at -40c. You should be ok but just take heed of the sound advice in the previous posts mate. Oh, and enjoy yourself, lol

That's what I've got, if you want to keep toastie put the green bag inside the black bag and don't snap those together. Then you can snap the black bag to the bivi if you want. If you do it the way it says to do it you get cold coming through all the snaps. Putting the bigger thinner bag in the smaller bag keeps it real cozy. I fold the bivi under my chin to breathe out of the bag to avoid condensation and sleep with a dutch hat on when it's freezing. The USMCSS are great in my opinion, been out in the snow a few times last year and just last weekend, didn't want to get out of my bag in the morning! Have fun fella!

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've also got the same system. All in it's not light and is the size of a small US state but for £80 brand new I wasn't complaining. The lightweight bag actually compresses quite small for summer use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE