Camping in Hammock and tarp ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

steelyglint

Just bought my first of these got a decent hammock and equally as good tarp big enough to accomodate my 6' 2" 17st bulk !

going in the next couple of weeks with a mate and my dog Henry the mad Springer, I'd just like a few tips from those in the know about fundamental set up of this type of camp Rob and I are both Scouts/leaders I'm 38 so I'm no stranger to the outdoors, but I've never tried hammock and tarp between the trees so, what simple newbie cockups do I need to avoid ?

Equally what little tips have you got to make it a comfy experience ?

Regards

Martin

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You can get a cool little DVD guide to hammock set up from Woodlore called the Eco Sleep System. Everything you need from set up to knots etc. There are a fair few vids put up here yesterday by trekkingnut with some good tips too.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
As Jonathan says the Woodlore dvd is excellent. There are many vids on you tube. Beware there are plenty of arguments about what makes the best knot, and even if a "prussic" knot should really be called something else.
Just remember the best knot is the one that keeps you up in the air.
Have a great time.
G

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The biggest mistake I made was using a single length of watever to tie my hammock up, que wet head, feet and a bottom, now i've tied a small loop at either end and use a krab to separate it from the tape around the tree, Hope this makes sense, laphroig's playing havok with my chair keybord interface.

Last edited:
S

steelyglint

@ big Geordie I would hope as we are both Scout leaders knots aren't a problem although..... I was intending to use a simple timber hitch to form a loop around the tree an drop a krab trough this under tarp level with a bowline in the hammock rope through the krab to form a storm ring ?

@ southey as above plus Jamiesons has a grip of me tonight too, I should be in bed !

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shewie excellent link thanks very much !

No problem mate, it's the simplest and most versatile method I've found so far. I'm playing around with some clever american ideas at the moment but for a simple and reliable setup you can't really beat it. I practised the knots round chair legs at home until they were second nature :)

Not sure what you've got in the way of cordage yet but I have the 18mm tubular webbing for the hammock and 4mm accessory cord for the tarp ridgeline from here

As a guide ...

5m of webbing for each end of the hammock
2 x climbing rated carabiners
7-8m of 4mm for the tarp ridgeline
4 x 4m guy lines for the tarp
8m length of paracord for a second ridgeline under the tarp. Handy for hanging stuff on.

Have fun and you won't regret the move to a hammock

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Don't forget that you still need insulation UNDER you! An underquilt, sleepmat or similar or you will get very cold even in summer.... I know I did.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
One thing I'd recommend is to set it up at least once before you go - just to try the knots once and get an idea of how high/low/tight/loose you might be aiming for.
www.imrisk.com has plenty of useful information, specifically some knots - http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/speerknot.htm
It might take a night or two to learn a new way of sleeping but I find it very restful and often more comfy than my bed at home.

Have fun

Ogri the trog

Outdoor_Guy

Jul 17, 2010
UK
www.paracordbracelet.co.uk
I would be interested to know the entire weight of a Tarp Tent/Hammock packed. Does anyone have a rough idea? Obviously it depends on materials used etc but is (can it be) a lot lighter than a lightweight backpacking tent?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I would be interested to know the entire weight of a Tarp Tent/Hammock packed. Does anyone have a rough idea? Obviously it depends on materials used etc but is (can it be) a lot lighter than a lightweight backpacking tent?

Not got my hammock n tarp here right now so I'll have to guess but of the two main tarps I have a) DDHammock XL(4.5x3) @980g+ around 150g for cordage. b) my own(3x3) @ 600ish inc. My own hammock(2.8x1.5) is around 1Kg inc straps etc. So with a pinch of salt 1.5 - 2 Kg for a tarp n hammock set up. I'd rather carry this set up than a tent of similar weight for most situations.

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
I had my own first night in my hammock recently.Not really planned as I'd just set it up and then had a bicker with Wifey :nono:
I used luggage ratchet straps for the hanging (too heavy to take out but useful after a few pints) army bag and a sunlounger cushion for the keeping warm bit.Dropped the tarp down low either side to keep out the breeze.
The garden backs onto fields ect and I must admit there were some interesting noises out there that I would usually ignore if I was tenting.Hammock makes everything a bit more immediate and close :)
Apart from my wondercat and I having a close encounter at about 2am, (not sure who jumped the most :eek:) it was one of the best nights sleep I've ever had.
Going to start using it on the motorbike for rallying next season when I have the setup perfected.:cool:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Exped scout combi with some mods.

DSC07466.jpg

Blade21

Jun 13, 2010
Limburg NL
I'm using a Hennessy hammock. It's a three season version. But to be honest, it is very cold even in summer. You'll need at least a very thick blanket or mattress for insullation.

The problem with these hammocks is the fact that you'll have to get in from the bottom. It's a real pain in the a** to just get into your sleeping bag, let alone on top of your mattress and in the bag.

The set-up Jonathan uses seems a better set-up. Maybe not as mosquito proof but easier to get into.

Twan

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm using a Hennessy hammock. It's a three season version. But to be honest, it is very cold even in summer. You'll need at least a very thick blanket or mattress for insullation.

The problem with these hammocks is the fact that you'll have to get in from the bottom. It's a real pain in the a** to just get into your sleeping bag, let alone on top of your mattress and in the bag.

The set-up Jonathan uses seems a better set-up. Maybe not as mosquito proof but easier to get into.

Twan

Never had a problem with mozzies gerring into my hammock, it zips 100% shut.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE