Camping in Arctic Sweden 2017 pic heavey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Good to see that all survived the trip 😁 None left buried under the ice.
Nice photo and report!
Thanks for sharing!

Sent fra min HUAWEI TIT-L01 via Tapatalk

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
SGL, that is a mild winter you have?? For their next trip you need to ask the Gods for some proper winter!

It has been a weird winter temperature wise, is all I can say. From a bushcrafting perspective one can find solice in the fact that you can get hypothermia in all kinds of temperatures....so it's a workable Winter, sorta...

Greger

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
So what %age of your kit actually got used on the trip?

I can't speak for the others but most of mine got used with the exception of mothership coat, cotton over trousers and mukluks, although I did wear them once, well you have to, don't you ? I can't think of much more that didn't see use, I could have cut down on a few pairs of thermal bottoms and socks and a softie jacket but all got used at least once. Oh, 2 'spare' torches and a couple of knives could have been left behind I suppose ? If I think of anything else I'll update this post :)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I don't want to speak for the rest but I spent 12 nights in the tent /s all be it with a bit of using the camp facilities whilst doing so, when we were there.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I don't want to speak for the rest but I spent 12 nights in the tent /s all be it with a bit of using the camp facilities whilst doing so, when we were there.

Nothing wrong with using existing facilities!

Specially if you are not 100% used to the climate and such. If you get the wilderness bug you might one day want to do a real trek in the Scandinavian outback!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I only got my camera out on the last few days, but heres a few shots from it. Everyone else was using their phones.
[But I left my phone charger in the car on the way down. :(

Ash and I could not be bothered putting up the snowtrekker on the campsite, for the last 4 nights, so we bivvied out under this shelter.

Frozen pine logs.

[

Cool dude Chris 'doin the dance.'

Ash, posing, my camp buddy. Ash was really excited about seeing the Aurora Borealis, which happened on a couple of nights, and was a great show. I took about 100 photos of it, and none of them came out.

Greger and I, at the museum. Getting the guided tour. [Greger's a giant, at about 6'7"!!]

Some shots from the Sami museum.

There was some debate on the sami knives, some said the sheath was curved so as not to stab the reindeer, others that it would not dissapear if it fell in the snow, a sami knife maker told me that they were originally shaped to represent the valley which they came from.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I caved in, in the end and bought this Sami Salt Flask as a souvenir. Made by Ingvar Svonni, who passed away in 2006. [The Svonni Clan are considered great sami artisans and craftsmen.]

Ash and Wayland got some really tasty stuff, like Kuksa's, Birch bark containers, Leather bags, Knives, all from the Sami Duodji.

[Be nice to see some of your shots fellas?] Ash, get some posted buddy.

IMG_0171_zpsoudnzy3g.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0169_zpsn0azqsz2.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0168_zpsji9ipezs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0167_zpsnfs8ayao.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks, Martin and Hi again Damien. :cool:

There were loads more photos than this taken...hopefully Chris and Ash will post some up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE