Camping in Arctic Sweden 2017 pic heavey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
[As they say in the army, no plan goes according after an attack. Its just normal, and I think we will all have great memories in the future]

Last edited:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Anyway, if you feel aggrieved by certain Swedish companies why not treat them to an honest review on their Facebook and Tripadvisor pages.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am truly sorry to hear that your trip to my home country did not go as planned.
I think you were quite lucky the temperature was as warm as it seems to have been, or it could have been extremely dangerous.
As I am sure you know, -40 C ( not counting the windchill you Brits love) and lower is a quite common temperature in those lovely parts of Sweden in January.

For the next trip into the Arctic, may I suggest that you pick a leader with Arctic experience and follow ( more exactly - OBEY) his instructions?
Successful expeditions are led as a military operations.

If you should want any advice o equipment, techniques and such, I am very happy to help.

I know many forumers do not like me as I am a "cocky know-it-all", but please do not forget that I have 3 years of military experience with a quite unusual unit, spending up to a month at a stretch in those forests.
Again, I am very happy to assist in anything.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
cheers for the trip report i really enjoyed following along, not sure i feel the same about the drama i got sucked into at the dn of it though, although i couldn't stop until i read it all for some reason, looked like a great trip but fork in hell to that much white stuff for fun, i realised recently i am a Goldilocks adventurer, not too hot and not too cold but just right is how i like my adventure climate

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
cheers for the trip report i really enjoyed following along, not sure i feel the same about the drama i got sucked into at the dn of it though, although i couldn't stop until i read it all for some reason, looked like a great trip but fork in hell to that much white stuff for fun, i realised recently i am a Goldilocks adventurer, not too hot and not too cold but just right is how i like my adventure climate
You and me pal !

😁

Sounds like an eventful trip but what beautiful scenery...👍
Hope we see some more...

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
If you Google expedition gear hire it brings some up

Expeditionkithire.co.uk was the one used by one member of the group

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
So......................after packing up camp the walk back to the camp site.

Photo opportunities were grabbed

Me

20170202_125801.jpg

Chris

20170202_125849.jpg

Tents were pitched, again by the lake, it was beautiful there and close for the ice fishing we had planned :)

20170203_094829.jpg

20170203_134147.jpg

Chris on the ice auger

20170203_142733.jpg

And my hole soon followed

IMG-20170209-WA0051.jpg

Soon we were 'fishing' ?

20170203_140915.jpg

Chris was ready to film 'the big one' sadly neither of us caught anything on the rods so after an hour or so we decided to bait up and bury the sticks,

20170204_091637.jpg

Success, Chris caught the little know species called ageous rockerous or ageing rocker in English :D Ash had come out to see what all the fuss was about but didn't bring any luck with him, the holes drew a blank as well, oh well, something else tried, even if half heartedly.

20170204_091653.jpg

Saturday came and Greger was on his way to meet us at camp before heading into town for the market.

20170204_121720.jpg

Only a couple of pictures in town, it was packed and although we tried to find a table for 5 it wasn't to be, Chris and myself left the other 3 still looking for tables, we were hungry and needed to eat NOW :D

Only went and got the best table in town lol

20170204_151745.jpg

Not sure about the table but it could have been the source of the food poisoning that was about to hit Chris that night :( ( no pictures were taken :) )

On the Sunday I headed off to say goodbye to Wayland Debs and Damien, I missed them and the cabin was empty, they'd gone :( Oh well, not to miss an opportunity and seeing as I was half way there I decided to walk further up and around the peninsular to where the river was still flowing, I'm glad I did, absolutely stunning.

20170205_123630.jpg

20170205_123635_001.jpg

20170205_123739.jpg

Well, that was that, a pack down that night to dry kit and pack bags loomed, it was going to be a long night, almost no trace, the final bits were cleared after the photo was taken leaving only the 2 padded down areas where the tents had been.

20170205_164628.jpg

And that was it, bus station in the morning

20170206_053453.jpg

Followed by a hard train ride ( for some ) Chris was also giving it big Z's but I couldn't get him in shot.

20170206_091358.jpg

And a nice greeting at the airport, tempt me not Satan, so I didn't lol

20170206_145842.jpg

All in all a good trip, a lot learned and hopefully remembered to carry forward to the next Sub Zero trip, thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20170202_125854.jpg
    20170202_125854.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I hope you dropped and rolled in the snow when you went through the ice.. I was told it absorbed any excess water but it just made me colder, i'm sure they were taking the mick out of us. Very nice pics however.

Tonyuk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Cracking pictures there ....

Thanks for posting

Twodogs

No problem at all :)

I hope you dropped and rolled in the snow when you went through the ice.. I was told it absorbed any excess water but it just made me colder, i'm sure they were taking the mick out of us. Very nice pics however.

Tonyuk

Nope, paused briefly to think about changing before legging it to warmth and to thaw out :)

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Wow what an incredible trip, I doth my hat to you all. Id love to do something like this but i know I would be the 'Scott of the Antarctic' and not make it home lol.
I have done winter training in Norway with the Chinooks but never anything like that. We stayed in cosy cabins, you what us RAF are like pmsl.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Lovley pics!

Al, Ash, Chris and Dave - I very much enjoyed meeting you all in Jokkmokk. I wish it had been possible to come out for some camping too. Next time perhaps?
let me know if any of you are heading to the Little ol' kingdom of Sweden, further down the line

Regarding the trip from Stora Sjofallet to Jokkmokk - I posted a complaint at their (moderated) facebook page where I aimed at their failure to inform you about the cost Before embarking on the trip (the cost itself was a bit much, but it is harder to argue a service failure regarding that). They maintain that they offer you a good-to-great service. Well...I suggest that you should rate their service at their facebook page - if possible, in a way that might give you a refund.

Greger

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ash has some pics too. Some funny ones of us on the dance floor mate. :rolleyes: It was great to meet you, and we had a good day. Was it smoked Reindeer stew [?], followed by a personal tour of the museum, and a few beers in a big dance hall tent. [Ash and I got a lift home from a couple of nice kids after we left]
[Taxis are ridiculously expensive in Sweden, like a tenner a mile...They are so much greener than us, I think its something like 80% of their countries power comes from hydro electric power?]

Last edited:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Err....no What happened in Jokkmokk, stays in Jokkmokk? My freakishly good dance moves doesn't really survive camera lenses and other distortions :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE