Camping ban plot thickens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I don't see this happening any time soon. Even if more regulation was brought in as has been said they would have a hell of a time trying to enforce it.

Tonyuk

They had no problem bringing a ban on using mobile phones when driving into law, despite knowing full well they could never enforce it. Our governments are not often in the habit of passing laws that they can actually enforce.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
On the subject of condemning rubbish and eyesores around Loch Lomond, doesn't this pyramid blend into the background just perfectly.

289EA80600000578-0-image-a-8_1431562862223.jpg

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it must be me, definitely something wrong with my view point , because the good people on the board of the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park committee are proud of this one.

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Looks like a rejected prop from the Planet Of The Apes.

Makes a positive statement as an entrance to a Public WC and Trash Bank though.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
On the subject of condemning rubbish and eyesores around Loch Lomond, doesn't this pyramid blend into the background just perfectly.

289EA80600000578-0-image-a-8_1431562862223.jpg

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it must be me, definitely something wrong with my view point , because the good people on the board of the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park committee are proud of this one.

Was imaging the suits that came up with and designed that thinking it was a good idea...

_82982253_free_pix_loch_lomond_structure_9.jpg

And there they are.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
My mum used to say that people who dropped litter were "bunny killers" Certainly stuck with us :)

Certainly long enough to realize it was just completely unacceptable to do.

I believe the cause is one third laziness, one third "its someone else`s job" and the last being a lack of respect and consideration for the land and others.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Not a daft idea you know. Simple paint job to make it blend in or compliment the surroundings, or shelter made from local materials. Jobs a good un.

I love the idea, I really do. But... there's always a but... I see a flaw. A massive, gaping maw of a flaw.

IF the skip blends so well into the surroundings as to be invisible from an aesthetics point of view, you'll need a 40 foot high sign, either in hi-viz or neon, to point out to the clueless nerks who usually drop litter that there's a skip available to put it in. This will inevitably lead to the objection that "this is an area of natural beauty and 40 foot signs blah blah blah".

Naturally, this makes the business plan absolutely perfect (sans 40 foot neon signs of course) for public purse adoption. You just need to make them required by legislation and very expensive. Launch them around February/March and watch the orders roll in as, immediately, local government will jump on them at the end of the budget season for two reasons. One, to be seen to be doing something about the "problem" and two, to use up any remaining surplus in this year's budget to ensure the little Empire builders at the Council don't have a budget reduction for next year.

Ach he's quite right Tiger, but still, this makes a nice change from talking aboot sedition all the time.

Hehehe... :thankyou: references, not just for job applications!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I love the idea, I really do. But... there's always a but... I see a flaw. A massive, gaping maw of a flaw.

IF the skip blends so well into the surroundings as to be invisible from an aesthetics point of view, you'll need a 40 foot high sign, either in hi-viz or neon, to point out to the clueless nerks who usually drop litter that there's a skip available to put it in. This will inevitably lead to the objection that "this is an area of natural beauty and 40 foot signs blah blah blah".

Naturally, this makes the business plan absolutely perfect (sans 40 foot neon signs of course) for public purse adoption. You just need to make them required by legislation and very expensive. Launch them around February/March and watch the orders roll in as, immediately, local government will jump on them at the end of the budget season for two reasons. One, to be seen to be doing something about the "problem" and two, to use up any remaining surplus in this year's budget to ensure the little Empire builders at the Council don't have a budget reduction for next year.

Hehehe... :thankyou: references, not just for job applications!

On the campsite I used to run I used beach stones to build drystone walls around things like the bins. Helped blend them in but were also pretty enough that folk were drawn to them. Only cost me my time and were a benefit to the environment.
As to rangers having good ideas the chaps around Loch Earn keep bags of wood for sale (very cheaply) in threads back of their vehicles as well as at their station. They still have to tackle numbskulls taking axes & chainsaws to live trees every week during fishing season. Sad that folk don't take responsibility for their actions but the fact that people are pandered too since birth and brought up in a throw away society doesn't help. There was a bit of flak on a thread about camp rules a year or two back. All folk were trying to get across was a sense of responsibility for others but some saw it as interfering with their freedoms when out and about. Sad really.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Was imaging the suits that came up with and designed that thinking it was a good idea...

_82982253_free_pix_loch_lomond_structure_9.jpg

And there they are.

Ooh what a nice place for a kip, rather nice of them. Its ok saying it doesnt fit in, but of the roads houses, gollf courses and businesses I shouldnt think its far out of place.

I too was bought up by parents, especially my mom who where psychopathicaly against litter. At first I was in terror of the concequences of throwing litter, the usual nightmares, ticks etc. But asd I have grown it seems more and more strange to me the idea of throwing litter. Why on earth someone thinks the ground is somewhere to put things from a shop is beyond me, the dropping of things from your hands onto the immediate floor I find very very strange in a sort of spoilt barstuard (viz)(avi) sort of way. Why you cant put in your pocket I do not know.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you pack it in, pack it out.

Come to think of it, that building(?) looks like a dumpster/skip tipped over to drop a load in the water.
Don't do that.

Every autumm for the past 15 years that I know of, there's a tribe of hunting families who set up an enormous camp at km 23 up the Holmes River.
Very successful hunters, the lot of them, deer, moose and elk.

The only thing that they ever have left behind is crushed/bent grass. Absolutely nothing else because I used to look.
Extraordinary people.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
There's a third way; but it costs money.
It's the constant promotion of that with rights come responsibilities, and by that I do mean personal as well as public responsibilities, and some of those are that the areas nearest conurbations cannot afford by themselves and their own council taxes to provide for the leisure of those from the conurbation who descend in their masses to enjoy the 'outdoors'.

Help with the clean up, help with the footpath network, put a few quid into the kitty of the volunteers for decent kit and materials and educational material that ought to go into every school in the land. Children grow up to be responsible adults, it's their world and I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting it in good order for them :)

M

And probably a 4th but a doubt money and want alone will provide deliverance from this malady of our time.

By chance I came across this which is commendable, pretty much says it all and would ideally be seen by anyone with a hankering for wild camping:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F4-kXNzEKAM

His knife safety tutorial is spot-on too and again should be a starting point for any would-be new wilderness adventurer be they young or old. Is Mike a BCUK member?

K

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you don't mind used, you might check out abeBooks.uk. Pence on the pound.
They'll have books for all of us who have 50,000 quid to spend, too.
I've used abeBooks.ca time and time again. They claim to have 6,000,000 titles in stock.
"If we don't have it, it hasn't been written."

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Or load the kindle software, for free onto your PC or whatever you use for BushcraftUK.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes, thats what I meant boatman. I thought it was obvious, obviously not.

It has to be the Scots who do something about Land, before it even gets considered down here.
Not meant as an insult, but I think Scotland is the most feudalistic nation on the planet? [And of course full of the greatest people :notworthy]

Its very funny when Andy Wightman, twitters something, like trying to push a Land Value Tax bill through Holyrod, and you see the twiiter responses from the Lords, such as Buccleuch, respond in block capitals, obviously outraged, on their twitter accounts;

MUGABEISM!

Even though all his land is nicked from normal Scots.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Land ownership is a awkward topic that can be misconstrued.

Not really, someone owns the land, it is their land, be it the Duke of Buccleuch or the wee woman who lives in the garret of my old property in Edinburgh.

The law does place limitations on what people can do with their property, people cannot paint their terraced house purple or add another story without the consent of those around them and those we pay to manage such affairs for us. Nor in Scotland can someone easily fence off a large chunk of land simply because they own it.

:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE