Camping ban plot thickens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
But infrastructures cost bawbees and Scots would bulk at paying to visit.
Maybe teaching bairns not to drop litter would be a start? I would've got skelped across the back of my head if I'd ever dropped litter as a child. In fact my father had to constantly tell me to empty my pockets as they were bulging with stuff.
The old public information films did an okay job of stopping folks littering bit they've gone by the by these days.
Loch Lomond seems a bit of a lost cause, friends who were rangers there were driven mad by folk dropping rubbish and pooling everywhere. There is a school of thought to let them honeypot the area and hopefully coral them in so they don't spread to other areas. Unpopular but workable.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hand on heart, I have never dropped litter in my life. My Mother would have given me hell, and my own sons pockets needed emptied just like the rest of you :)

I really don't understand it myself. For the life of me I cannot understand how filthying up their own bit of the world is somehow acceptable.

Maybe it does need those old public information films again….point out that for every penny spent clearing up their filth is a penny not spent on nurseries, schools, old folks and the like. That they turned a beauty spot into a cesspit.

Selfish cretins. "You bought it, you bin it", "You brought it in, you carry it out".

Still not an acceptable reason to blanket ban an entire country's roadsides though.

M

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
When we drive through Scotland large areas seem deficient in public loos. In one area it seemed that community halls were subsidised to offer them but we didn't find one that was open. Not easy driving with your legs crossed.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a pest, especially outside of the tourist season. Many hotels etc., simply close down for the Winter in some of the more rural areas.

Imagine that dearth of loos though, and then apply it to an area with over 50,000 visitors every weekend, and even in Winter there's a heck of a lot of folks head out there.
No litter pick up, no loos, no infrastructure in situ to cope with the sheer pressure of numbers of people wanting to get out into the fresh air….and that's the problem with the Trossachs area, that is literally on Glasgow's doorstep.

M

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
When we drive through Scotland large areas seem deficient in public loos. In one area it seemed that community halls were subsidised to offer them but we didn't find one that was open. Not easy driving with your legs crossed.

What sort of bushcrafter are you? Use a bush, a dip in the ground, or at worst, a bottle! Blimey... no loo, no travel?

Anyway, back to subject... let them pass the law outlawing roadside camping, then gather 50 Scots, a journalist and a photographer... camp out, wait for the local authorities to turn up and record the whole fiasco of measuring from the car to the campsite. Publish said measurements and the resulting actions taken by local authorities and contrast against any other present pressing issue in the next days rag. Job done.

These idiots who sit on these boards need to realise jolly quickly... their time as power-mongers has gone... they have no power as they have no body to enforce it... and those who do try to enforce it will be ridiculed in the press daily.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I've had a day of being told what to do... and unfortunately I'm of the opinion that the world is full of problems, but the ones I'm presented with isn't one of them... this problem about camping for the Scots being one of them.

And may I just say.............. FRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
For sure some areas around Loch Lomond are a big mess these days, burnt out barbecue's, beer cans and bottles, bog role and abandoned cheep gig tents along the banks mostly, but It's all to easy to point the finger at kids or neds , another story from earlier this year "Camping ban proposed to extend to Loch Lomond Islands" sorry but that mess sound like boaters to me.
I see lots of dog poo bags on the beach and along forest paths, me personally, I think I preferred the old days when I stepped on the occasional dog egg now and again to seeing the poop bags hanging up in trees for months, So what next ban dogs because of some irresponsible owners?. Go up some mountains and you will find plenty cigarette butts round the cairns, don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no angel, I busted my fare share of bottles with a slingshot as a kid, I've also had dogs and canoes, however these days when I get home from a walk all I have to do is empty my pockets of stinky fag butts.

I %100 agree with Dewi on this point,

FRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Your right enough Bro, to many red tape power hungry pen pushers all right, but sorry Dewi, it's not just a problem for Scottish freedom, half of the paddlers and walkers I meet up here are from south of the boarder, and why? because Scotland's magic. SAOR ALBA.

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I used to camp at a place called Dunsyre. i dont know who but someone (heard it was the gamekeeper of the estate) would leave piles of logs on the ground and kindling bundles in the trees for people to use. place was always spotless. a bin was nailed to a tree as well. i believe people respected the gesture and in return made sure the place was not a tip for the next person to use.

There was a few tree swings in place for the kids as well.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
A lot of these problems could be sorted if the local council supplied a large skip type bin. I camp on the silver sands of Morar from time to time and the first thing i do when i get there is tidy up if needed.

The most time i've spent tidying up someone else's crap is 20 minutes. Usually an abandoned tent or barbecue that goes in the large bins provided in the car park at the toilet block.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
D'you know the excuse I was given when I asked about that ?
It's an area of scenic beauty, skips aren't beautiful :rolleyes:
Damned useful though, and folks do use them if they're provided and emptied regularly.

M

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
D'you know the excuse I was given when I asked about that ?
It's an area of scenic beauty, skips aren't beautiful :rolleyes:
Damned useful though, and folks do use them if they're provided and emptied regularly.

M
Fancy getting into the Beautiful skip design business with me Mary...how hard can it be. ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funny you should mention that :) I reckon that the judicious use of some cans of spray paint and we could make some artwork that would look 'right'.

Some of the stuff that used to be done by the peace protesters and the anti bomb /nuclear subs was beautiful. Knotwork, our own native designs, natural prints, etc., Doesn't need to cost a fortune either. Add in a touch of Escher and some templates and it'd be pretty quick too I think.

Now, how do we get it going ?

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Fancy getting into the Beautiful skip design business with me Mary...how hard can it be. ;)

Not a daft idea you know. Simple paint job to make it blend in or compliment the surroundings, or shelter made from local materials. Jobs a good un.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Hand on heart, I have never dropped litter in my life. My Mother would have given me hell, and my own sons pockets needed emptied just like the rest of you :)

I really don't understand it myself. For the life of me I cannot understand how filthying up their own bit of the world is somehow acceptable.

Maybe it does need those old public information films again….point out that for every penny spent clearing up their filth is a penny not spent on nurseries, schools, old folks and the like. That they turned a beauty spot into a cesspit.

Selfish cretins. "You bought it, you bin it", "You brought it in, you carry it out".

Still not an acceptable reason to blanket ban an entire country's roadsides though.

M

I can't say that i was that conscientious as a child, but nowadays, i am the same. Be it a receipt, cigarette butt, or the "you only have 10 rizzla left" paper, it stays in my hand or pocket until i find a bin. It is so easy not to litter that i don't see why you'd bother littering. Where i live, there are street cleaners and bin men twice every day, as such literally everything gets dumped on the ground, come market days it is just terrible. My biggest peeve is chicken bones. I can't walk 20 feet down the road without finding chicken bones just chucked on the ground (probably more fried chicken shops than customers on my high street)

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
We could just bury the skips if it's the ugliness of the skips the council are worried about. Have a lid opening for the rubbish then a big suction machine comes along and takes the stuff away. it aint rocket science.

Or....we could really get creative with the skip design. I'm thinking Military tank design. Just think for a minute. hundreds of tank shaped skips in the woods. Doesn't need to be a exact replica of a Sherman or a T34 or anything, just the rough shape. Along comes a tractor and it's towed away to the landfill then returned...awesome.

Scotland has always been a forward thinking nation...what happened.?

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
PS, If anyone wants to hang private property signs in Scotland, please make them out of wood, I hate the smell of burning plastic.

The problem with such a belligerent stance is it fails to acknowledge, or so it seems, that with such rights comes a certain liability for the actions of others and that cannot simply be 'parked' or indeed mitigated by one's own impeccable respect for flora and fauna.  

We share what many acknowledge as an over-populated Isle and the last thing the little remaining backwoods needs, in terms of its fragile beauty, is our TV and the Internet encouraging the masses to get their heads together in the Great Outdoors and expect there not to be consequences‎.   This however is exactly what has already happened and the cost of such is evident to anyone who cares to look at our woods, hills and meadows through Zeiss-clear spectacles as distinct from that pleasing Autumn tint so beloved by the Internet Bushcraft ‎Warrior that filters the half-built and abandoned standing wood shelters;  ‎burnt ground fairy rings; excrement-weighted kitchen towel drifting through woods and across fell; beer and  bean can wind chimes and paths either ploughed to the consistency of Christmas pudding  by 4x4 tyres or simply burnished within an inch of its life by shear volume of foot traffic.  
‎
What then is the answer to rescuing our landscape from the unwanted attentions by those who crave emediate and unconditional fulfilment in their latest must-have fix? Governments, of all persuasion‎, have a two part answer albeit with no guarantee in which will be enacted first: 1. Regulate.   2. Ban.

Speaking from personal experience ‎having been subject to the realities of item 2 no less than twice in my 50 something years ‎ you might expect me to have little time for either concept and in consequence be no less  forthright as the OP in my disdain for Authority but who would not agree to enforced Regulation over an outright ban if that is all we have to work with?

‎
‎
‎

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a third way; but it costs money.
It's the constant promotion of that with rights come responsibilities, and by that I do mean personal as well as public responsibilities, and some of those are that the areas nearest conurbations cannot afford by themselves and their own council taxes to provide for the leisure of those from the conurbation who descend in their masses to enjoy the 'outdoors'.

Help with the clean up, help with the footpath network, put a few quid into the kitty of the volunteers for decent kit and materials and educational material that ought to go into every school in the land. Children grow up to be responsible adults, it's their world and I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting it in good order for them :)

M

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I don't see this happening any time soon. Even if more regulation was brought in as has been said they would have a hell of a time trying to enforce it.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE