Campfire pizza

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bed of coals from a very carefully built cooking fire. Some sort of a rack to see maybe 400F. My sauce on my crusts. Pear & prociutto is one. Another might be apple, pecans, blue cheese & fresh Rosemary. Then again, I'm fond of Mexican salami, green peppers and mushrooms. Heaps of fresh ground cheeses.

bearbait

Upside down pizza.

Bake yourself a small thin bannock or flatbread in a frying pan tipped towards the fire, or a reflector oven. Size the bannock for a saucepan. Put the pizza "topping" in the saucepan and heat through with the bannock on top, trying not to burn the "topping".

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
If you WANT to sleep:
1. breathe in fully taking 3 seconds
2. breathe out fully taking 6 seconds
3. repeat until you wake up = like magic!

I've made pizza on the home grill many times, and it turns out quite good using indirect heat and a hot pizza stone. Over a campfire you might want to make a reflector out of aluminum foil and perhaps use a hot cast iron skillet - probably let the fire burn to coals first. Hard to miss - even when pizza isn't that great it's still pretty good.

Mar 9, 2016
Neath South Wales
OR you could go down the calzone route ? It don't look like a pizza but does taste like one , done it my self a couple of times whilst camping .
Make your dough , hot skillet flatten the base out in it , layer your toppings on half as per Normal , fold over ala Cornish pastie , 4-5min each side , job done !

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Easy! I'd drag my my big @ss 15 inch Aussie bush oven ( Google Southern Metal Spinners ) out there and do two 12 inchers at a time ( three teenaged sons as bearers tends to make me go a bit 19th century ). There's a trivet in the bottom made from a inverted perforated pizza tray and a improvised shelf made from 3 bolts and another perforated tray. For pizza I dare say you could get a third one in with suitable changes of bolt length and another tray.

To avoid the need for yeast and the ensuing hassle I'd use a baking powder pizza base receipt that the middle son brought home from school.

If forced to slum it and cook on stones or a frying pan I'd make a basic bannock mix, just flours no big flakey stuff like oats ( just started using barley flakes from a windmill over in Notts and they are grand in bannock) roll it into two thin circles ( gnawing wood into a improvised pole lathe to turn the rolling pin using my Braces as a bungee cord ) and have the pizza filling as a layer inbetween them ( pinched at the edges) so you can flip the thing to get both sides cooked. Years ago I used to do pizza cobs in the oven one day and have them hot for supper and the family would have them cold in their packing up the next day. How I've slipped!

ATB

Tom

PS
snowing here in East Lancs, not forecast and since I don't have to go out, charming.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2016
Neath South Wales
This is the one I use ; 1 cup bread flour (I use American cup measurements , don't carry a scales in the bush !) 3 big spoons full of olive oil , teaspoon of baking powder , 2 teaspoons of sugar and a good pinch of salt . Not as good as yeast'ed and proved dough but it's not a bad'un .

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
OR you could go down the calzone route ? It don't look like a pizza but does taste like one , done it my self a couple of times whilst camping .
Make your dough , hot skillet flatten the base out in it , layer your toppings on half as per Normal , fold over ala Cornish pastie , 4-5min each side , job done !

This works well. Pizza pastie.

Dunc (FGYT) has cooked pizza just in a pan and it looked mighty good. My most accomplished dish to date was a fully layered lasagne cooked in an oven made from lumps of chalk. Don't worry, there wasn't enough heat to lime the chalk. We'd been there nearly a week and hadn't eaten properly. This involved a long journey on a crappy moped for supplies. I can taste it as I type :)

bearbait

Similar to flexo's suggestion (post #12), something I saw on a Dave Canterbury video (not a pizza, but a concept) gave me an idea.

If you have a billy who's lid doubles as a frying pan (or even has reasonable depth) you could place your bannock dough in the billy, pizza topping on top, then place the billy over the fire covered with the inverted billy lid containing coals from the fire. A sort of "poor man's dutch oven". A bit of care and experimentation may give you a decent result. (I shall try this soon.)

Depending on the depth of your billy you may want to adjust the height above the coals/amount of coals on the lid to even up the heat on the pizza from both directions.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE