Campfire food

• Thread starter Deleted member 4605
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 4605

I'm running a couple of campfire sessions for my Scouts over the next few weeks, and whilst I know all the usual campfire delicacies(baked potatoes, bananas and chocolate, apples and sugar etc.) I was wondering if anyone had something more unusal to share.

I know you can cook pretty much anything on a fire, but it's the quick/easy ones I'm interested in.

D

Deleted member 4605

Done bannock already with them (albeit on trangias, not a fire). :) Bannock is only one step removed from dampers and twists, which are a staple of Scouting campfire cooking.

I really want to find something they've either not done before, or not done for a while.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lemon chicken and basmati rice? Thats pretty easy

Red

Something chinese thats easy to whomp up and is BBs signature dish at meets - Chinese Lemon Chicken

(Serves 4 - adjust to numbers)

Take 4 chicken breasts. Split each into 2 natural fillets and place in ziplock bag.

Using a log as a rolling pin and a stump, roll each fillet out to 1/4" thick.

Take fillets from the bag and (on a plate) slice each into 1" strips across the grain of the meat (short not long strips)

Put chicken back in ziplock and add a tablespoon of soy sauce. Shake to coat chicken.

Add 4 tablespoons of cornflour to bag and shake well to coat all chicken strips (you may need to use
washed hands to help).

Trim the roots and tips off a bunch of (about 8) spring onions. Cut diagonally to 1/2" pieces. Add a crushed finely chopped garlic clove.

Using a RAZOR sharp bush knife, thinly rind a lemon (use a grater if new to this) and juice the lemon into your cup (cut in half, stick your fork into the cut and gouge around to break the lemon up. Squeeze through fingers to catch pips into cup).

Add a 1/4 pint of chicken stock to cup (I use half a stock cube and 1/4 pint of water in the field). If you like a sweet taste add a tablespoon of sugar and / or a tablespoon of dry sherry. Add a tablespoon of cornflour and blend to a smooth paste.

Put about 4 tablespoons of olive oil in your wok / pan (it needs to be 1/4" deep). Get it hot. Fry off all your chicken strips a few at a time until golden brown. Place the fried strips on kitchen paper as they are done to remove oil.

Wipe your pan out. Add a spoon of clean oil and fry off your spring onions and garlic for 2 minutes till soft.

Add the stock / cornflour mix and return chicken to pan. Stir until thickened adding more cornflour if needed.

Serve on a bed of boiled rice.

Red

This is the sort of stuff we eat - don't know if its what you had in mind? Basically anything runny is easy :D . I save small bottles to transport things like oil ( you can always substitute butter), sauces etc. Small Body Shop shampoo bottles are fantastic. Small screw top plastic pots for spices or 2" square ziplocks (£2 the hundred on e-bay) etc. I have a complete spice and condiment set that weighs 5oz. Try eating a wild leaf slad (beech, hawthorn etc.). Then add oil and balsamic vinegar. I know which I like - gives me a laugh whipping the honey, oil and mustard salad fressing out of my possibles pouch too :lmao:

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
I reckon good old pork sausages with a bread roll and ketchup would surely go down well. Not very original and you'd need a grill, but the the traditional foods are always the best.

You could make a spit and roast a couple of chickens.

Maybe some pork kebabs made with bay tree twigs for skewers. You could get the lads to do all the work :D

Whatever happens, you've got to have bacon rolls for the morning.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
One thing I remember doing as a scout over an open fire was fish. Something oily like trout or mackerel opened out on a forked stick and grilled over hot coals.

David Moulds

May 3, 2005
Belfast N.Ireland
How about trying to make a pizza oven from clay and making your own pizzas,They made one on the last seris of river cottage i am sure if you check the river cottage website there will be details of how to make the pizza oven.
Davy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
How about a variation on a theme,
Hollow out the spuds and cook an egg inside the baked potato and I recon raisins are much better cooked insdie a cored apple than plain old brown sugar.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
The spuds and egg are quite nice just keep a resonable thickness of spud otherwise they can be a bit fragile.
'Cowboy dinner' is another nice one we used to do.

Chopped up spuds
Chopped onion
Chopped carrot
1 oxo per person

Put everything into a double layer of foil and crumble the oxo up, sprinkling it over. Add a small amount of water, fold up the parcel and place on the embers.
Sorry cant be too precise ages since I done it.

troyka

Forager
schwuk said:
Done bannock already with them (albeit on trangias, not a fire). :) Bannock is only one step removed from dampers and twists, which are a staple of Scouting campfire cooking.

I really want to find something they've either not done before, or not done for a while.

what are dampers and twists?

D

Deleted member 4605

troyka said:
what are dampers and twists?

Flour and water mixed to make a simple dough. Dampers are cooked on stones next to the fire, twists are wrapped around a green stick (bark removed) and cooked over the fire.

P

Philr

Hi I am a leader also, so far ive got mine to taste the birch sap I harvested, and when I take a small group on what I call a camp ruffit I m going to try escargo with garlic, of which i will harvest the snails and clean them first by feeding them on carrotts for a couple of days then when at the ruffit a quik dunk in boiling water fish them out of the shells then fry in chrushed garlic and a bit of butter, it'll give them somthing to talk about. :grouphug:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Noodles with wild greens added, Cleavers, chickweed, sorrel etc. Maybe some gorse flowers added as well for that thai aroma. They are easy to ID for children and introduces them to concept of wild food. Lidls' have some kabonossi sauages in they don't go off in the way fresh meat does they make fine kebabs.

troyka

Forager
Eggs in a bag.

Crack an egg into a zip lock bag, add herbs cheese or other stuff squidge it all together so its well mixed zip it up, and pop it into some boiling water, once its cooked u can make tea with the water and no washing up eggy pans…

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You could also get some pita bread, warm them up on a hot flat stone, stuff with cheese and some nice salami that has been sliced and cooked on a skewer over the fire. Hmmmmmm!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE