Camper vs hiker vs farmer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Hi folks. I'm looking at getting a victorinox, the brief is saw, knife, and cheap! So I've been looking at the 3 models above. The camper and hiker are £25, the farmer is about £30. Not that I won't pay an extra fiver, but are there any advantages with any of these models, or perhaps any tools on there that will end up being surplus to requirements.

Cheers for the help!

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I dont own a victorinox but i can say the most used tools on my super cheapo "swiss army" knife are:
Knife, bottle opener/flathead screwdriver, tin opener, posi driver, awl (i think its an awl, comes in handy for undoing stubborn knots like a marlin spike i suppose and poking holes in stuff)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I use my SAKs every day and, over a long period of time, I have decided my ideal knife has:

1) blade (I only need one so a larger one)
2) wood saw (I often want to cut a stick or similar)
3) scissors (when working in the wood I am always breaking nails)
4) tweezers (I'm always getting thorns and splinters in my hands)

Those tools will be used most days; anything else would rarely get used if at all.

I believe (but I may be wrong) that the cheapest knife that comes with all those four tools is the Huntsman at around the £30 mark.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Keep an eye on the Amazon warehouse deals. They tend to get knives sent back with damaged packaging (IE the seal has been broken) and the discount can be really good. I got my officer's knife for under £20 and a hiker for about £11. There's a farmer on there now for £22 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox...words=alox+farmer&qid=1605274842&s=diy&sr=1-1

I've been favouring my officer's knife over the farmer for a while just because the scissors, phillips screwdriver and tweezers are so useful but I've noticed I've bent the blade tip somehow and my biggest bugbear with the standard SAKs is the soft steel and weak springs. I'll probably go back to the farmer for a bit.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Victorinox is my favourite brand of all time, very likely because it was the first knife I bought with my own money back when I was ten years old after saving for weeks. Bought it in Harlech Highstreet on a family Holiday. I remember walking down the steps from the shop feeling like I was JJ Rambo or summat lol. Hence I guess my loyalty to the brand. I’ll never not at least own one. I’ve the Spartan, Huntsman and Farmer and I like them all. Excuse the rambling waffle above lol

I have to say brand loyalty aside I’ve been very impressed by Bokers Tech Tools. Defiantly give the Bokers a look see I say.

Last edited:

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Victorinox is my favourite brand of all time, very likely because it was the first knife I bought with my own money back when I was ten years old after saving for weeks. Bought it in Harlech Highstreet on a family Holiday. I remember walking down the steps from the shop feeling JJ Rambo lol Hence I guess my loyalty to the brand. I’ll never not at least own one. Excuse the rambling waffle above lol

I have to say brand loyalty aside I’ve been very impressed by Bokers Tech Tools. Defiantly give the Bokers a look see I say.
Very similar experience here myself i had a few cheap pocket knives as a kid probably a year or two younger than that, i usually ended up getting one whenever we went on camping holidays. Then one day whittling sticks in the garden, probably making a "bow" (really a stick with the bark shaved off and a string on it) my brother wouldnt leave me alone so i said "go away or ill stab you"
I had no intention of doing such a thing i really didnt mean it.
My mum overheard n flipped out big time, confiscated everything off me.
I didn't see them again probably until the end of secondary school.
I remember i made some new friends in primary school and telling them i had a knife collection and when they came round to my house to play they thought i was lying because they couldnt see any knives lol
Its funny the odd random one just turns up here n there as i rearrange stuff n have the odd clear out n what not. Non of any quality or value, but the memories are there.
My brother has always been better at saving his money than me so he always managed to buy the slightly better ones n i think the few surviving ones i still own are his

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think the Victorinox Compact is the best option for trekking and traveling and a saw should be bought separately and longer, if you aren't a hunter or use a cotton sheet tent and need to make each evening exactly fitting poles.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think the Victorinox Compact is the best option for trekking and traveling and a saw should be bought separately and longer, if you aren't a hunter or use a cotton sheet tent and need to make each evening exactly fitting poles.

Why on earth would I want a corkscrew and a bag carrier thingy instead of an awl and a wood saw in any outdoor activity?

As I said, I have analysed what I use and there is no way the Compact satisfies that; sorry - nice little knife for in the office maybe.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks

That's just it though I don't intend to use it while camping :)

It's going to be for work, quick walk in the woods, situations where I'm not carrying a bag and so on. It's going to be an everyday carry kind of thing where I can't carry my proper kit for whatever reason.

I've just purchased the huntsman for £22.80 inc. Postage from amazon. I was tempted by the walker to be honest, as I was thinking it would be slim and simple for the pocket but that was working out at £17 posted anyway.

Thanks for all the help folks

Reactions: Erbswurst and Broch

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Broch

Nowadays most lightweight tent stakes have attached a cord loop and with the hook at the Victorinox Compact you can pull them out. That's pretty handy.

Deep in the woods you only need the nail scissors and perhaps the toothpick and blister needle.

But if you touch civilisation, all what's attached to the Compact becomes useful.
It has attached all what's needed for hiking tours and nothing else, and that makes it light and compact and comfortable in the pocket.

What this little saws can cut I can easily break with the boot or cut off with a fix blade knife or even with the blade of the Compact, as long as it isn't bone.

The awl / drill would be nice to have if I would make ski sticks or something similar. But I discovered that I didn't use it after I played with it when I was a child, even as long as I used exclusively old school leather - linen equipment, what I did for many many years.

The Compact is no office knife. It is a trekking knife, meant to replace the older Climber, because the conditions such knifes are used in did change.

How often do we currently need the better working can and bottle opener at the Climber?
Bottles nowadays have screw closures and if you want to open a tin you just pull the ring.
The Compact combines screw driver, bottle and can opener in one tool, just in case you find a beer bottle with crown closure or a tin without pull ring, what happens less and less often.

After the old cotton and linen tent sheets with metal eyelets died out and the modern cordage became so outstanding light and strong that everybody can easily carry several metres around, the reason to carry such a small saw through the summer doesn't exist anymore in my opinion.
The poles were made easily with that saw but I seem to be the last one in this forum who owns such stuff. And yes, I also replaced it with lightweight plastic fibre tarp and poncho and strong lightweight cordage in my currently used every day equipment.

I mean, deep in the woods one needs the nail scissors of the Compact and could use the knife blade, but of course the full tang fix blade belt knife is the far handier option.

But if one touches during a trekking tour the civilisation, the Compact offers all tools which could be needed on a touristic camping ground, in a youth hostel, on the bench in front of the supermarket or in similar situations.

May be that you don't need a cork screw in Mid Wales. But in France for example you aren't completely equipped without.

You could simply press the cork into the bottle of course, especially if you do that hidden deep in the woods.
But don't cry afterwards if the frogs have seen you doing it and call the Welsh a barbaric tribe.

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: slasha9

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Personally I'd go for the Farmer as the awl on it is far superior to the other two models and also is in a sensible place to be able to use it properly.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Broch

I also owned of course before Victorinox knives with saw and awl and used them for many years. I even sold them off or gifted them away.

It's pretty interesting that we came to such different opinions about them, as we assume here to discuss with a very experienced partner.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
I would agree, especially the new Alox Farmer X with the scissors on; the awl is excellent - but it doesn't have the tweezers which is a must for me :)
I have the Farmer X and am constantly reminded that it's a more robust blade with a really aggressive awl and scissors. But I still have a tiny keychain Victorinox (Manager) on my house keys to provide tweezers.

• Haha
Reactions: Toots and Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE