Camper van

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
......continued from http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=2875

Gary said:
RB if I had known you were a rich man I wouldnt have given you any freebies!! :eek:): :rolmao:
Gary ,a few years ago i was a rich man for a very short time and this is about all i have left ,but then thats what being young and foolish is all about :eek:): :eek:): :eek:):

Squirrelboy ,A company in Gatwick called AVA leisure carried out the conversion ,i supplied the base vehicle.
They have a few standard conversions but they will also build to your spec.
Price depends on spec. but this conversion cost me around 8K.
The heating alone is about a grand and the bed in this one was expensive as it slides backwards and forward or can be removed to adjust the storage/living areas or to use it as a van for those IKEA runs!
AVA will do partial conversions to your vehicle ,so they will add for example an elevating roof and then an interior or part interior as funds permit.
Before this i learned about campers by converting a T3 VW mini bus with my father and i would say thats the way to go if you want to save money and get exactly what suits you.

To be honest it's a bit plush for my style of camping and we usually end up cooking outside on the Trangia's and sitting round a fire :roll:

403_0339_122.jpg

I am thinking of carrying out a simple conversion of sorts to my 110.
Adding some insulation and ventilation and then maybe just making a few storage units that make into a sleeping platform for a thermarest and sleeping bag which can be removed when i need an empty vehicle for work.
I've slept in it a few times recently while out lamping rabbit's and the cold and condensation made it pretty grim but its a better vehicle for shooting and fishing than the VW.
A second battery would mean i can add some interior and exterior lights and a portable fridge for the beers ,i mean for the bait :wink:

I used to use an old Peugeot 405 estate car and with the back seats dropped ,a couple of thermarests ,sleeping bags and a Trangia stove ,my girlfriend and I had many great holidays touring around Ireland ,England and Wales.
Many vehicles can be simply adapted to sleep in comfortably and its handy to be able to sleep in your vehicle incase you have to spend the night in the centre of a town or waiting for a ferry etc. etc. where its not practical or safe to pitch a tent.

RB

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Thanks for that RB :)

As much as I like camping out, I always had a soft spot for my camper van.

It was great fun to just turn up at the camp site, open the side door and put a brew on. I know it sounds weird but there was something magical about that bus, once inside it was so peacefull and carming - no wonder the hippies loved them !

Mine was a converted 7 seater microbus. It was a walk-through, double bed with no pop-top. It did suffer from condensation as it had no roof vent or any heating :errrr: but you dont mind cos of the fun your having :eek:):

I also used mine for the Ikea runs :rolmao: and a few house clearences I was doing, not to mention taking stuff to the tip! Ahh happy days...

If I had the money id be straight down to Gatwick ! Just need to win the lottery :biggthump

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Bay window or split screen?
I used to be a bit of a VW fanatic.
Drove a '72 "Marathan" edition Beetle for a few years (still have it in a barn in case i win the lottery some day and can restore it) and i had a Corrado for a couple of years (now that is one car i really miss).
Always wanted a split screen camper or a bay but most are dogs unless you have big money to spend.
When i was looking for a landrover it was the same thing ,loads around and they seem pretty sound but when you get up close and start poking around you find some real sheds.

RB

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
It was a late `72 bay window, had a 1.6 ltr engine, disk brakes and a Devon conversion I think - which was great as all the furniture was below the window line.

I put a small solar panel on a side window to charge a second battery for the TV - also incase my main one failed ! The fridge was really just a cool box and the sink had a small pedal to pump the water up into it - very cute :eek:):

Mine did suffer from the swiss cheese look esp round the front window and front wheel arches but the rest was quite sound.

The ride is just like driving a bus, there is nothing in front of you but a whole lotta rear.Going over speed bumps was a joy, it was like sitting on a spring cos you bounce up and so much. Another fun feature was the washer bottle, you had to pressurise it with a bicycle pump to get a sort of screen jet (read drizzle)going.

I went to Sandown VW show once, talking years back and Im pretty sure a company were going to bring out a brand new version. If someone did today id have to get on on the never- never. Its a much missed friend :wave:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE