Campcraft questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
prussick loops are easy to make.

Just use a double fishermans knot or a zepplin bend. Both are shown on the animated knots website. Use something thinner than your paracord ideally

you are missing a headlight or torch too

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
A 2lt plastic soft drinks bottle makes a good collapsable water bottle, clean one out, with the lid off, fold it up quite tight, hold it folded/rolled up and replace the lid, now you have a collapsed bottle that takes very little room to stow.

To fill and reanimate into bottle shape, take the lid off and get a little water into it, give it a shake and add more water, repeat until the weight of water opens the bottle back to the original shape.

N

Nomad

Map case, or a decently thick resealable poly bag of suitable size.
A cup.
Container(s) for brew kit.
Millbank (or Billbank) bag for filtering crud out of water before purifying.

For a brew kit container, Morrisons do plastic beakers, about 400ml, with screw-on lids for about a quid. Very good quality. One of them could hold a ready-mix good for several brews. If you put the mix into a poly bag inside the beaker, you can use the beaker as your cup as well.

rg598

Native
headlamp
2L of water carrying capacity. 2 Gatorade bottles work well.
Water filter. Having to stop and boil water every time you need it is a real pain, and a huge waste of fuel if you have fire restrictions.

You may be going a little heavy on the shelter components. I used to use a DD 3x3 tarp for many years and never needed a bivi. If you are using a bivi, you probably don't need the ground sheet.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
looks a good list their pal.ditch the ground sheet.not really kit but I like too put an audio book on my iphone great for falling sleep too

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Any recommendations on a cheap but durable head torch, and a very small inflatable pillow?

I'd steer clear of inflatable pillows and use a stuff sack with some clothes in, or a cotton pillow case with clothes stuffed in. The inflatable ones don't breath so make you sweat and are uncomfortable in my experience - even the padded ones (I bought one and never use it for those reasons).

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I'd steer clear of inflatable pillows and use a stuff sack with some clothes in, or a cotton pillow case with clothes stuffed in. The inflatable ones don't breath so make you sweat and are uncomfortable in my experience - even the padded ones (I bought one and never use it for those reasons).
Alright, that's a good idea. It'll save space if I can it all up in a small bundle.

I tried the 1200 Lite Sleeping bag in the garden, by the way. It was pretty warm. I like it. I'm not entirely sure what the black pouches are for though.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Any recommendations on a cheap but durable head torch, and a very small inflatable pillow?

Alpkit gamma. £15 and excellent. Pillows are a very personal thing. Ive used a stuff sack with spare layers in but dont like it. I have a trekmates delux pillow which is very comfy and also an exped blow up one. I tend to use the exped as its much lighter and packs to nothing but the trekmates is the more comfy one.

linky pillow

http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Trekma...52102601.asp?gclid=CIfRxNulv70CFfMQtAodgAMADQ

Linky alpkit

https://www.alpkit.com/products/gamma

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Alright, that's a good idea. It'll save space if I can it all up in a small bundle.

I tried the 1200 Lite Sleeping bag in the garden, by the way. It was pretty warm. I like it. I'm not entirely sure what the black pouches are for though.

Excellent! I think the pouches are to stash a torch, watch etc. in.... I never use mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE