Campcraft questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twyforge

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Winchester
Hi, idk if anyone knows this trick but on the topic of cooking, I'm sure all of you who cook over a wood fire know that the black soot that get deposited on the pan is really hard to get off, so at scout camps we always coat the base of the pan in washing up liquid to make the pan a lot easier to clean. Not particularly bushy I know but it sure does the trick

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Hi, idk if anyone knows this trick but on the topic of cooking, I'm sure all of you who cook over a wood fire know that the black soot that get deposited on the pan is really hard to get off, so at scout camps we always coat the base of the pan in washing up liquid to make the pan a lot easier to clean. Not particularly bushy I know but it sure does the trick

Also, ethanol removes it dead easy (the black is tar, ethanol is a solvent).

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Leave the black on it helps with the heat :), also what the point of washing it off if your going to put it back on the fire anyway.... :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Sometimes it's really sticky, especially from a woodgas stove.

I dont use a wood gas stove, and not really found it a problem, if I put the billy in a rucksack it goes in a stuff sack first so not much of a problem.

saying that the only time I've had to keep a billy/kettle clean is for camping comp's in the scouts many moons ago..

twyforge

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Winchester
Leave the black on it helps with the heat :), also what the point of washing it off if your going to put it back on the fire anyway.... :)

Scout inspections two or three times a day is the reason as you said, and we don't really have access to solvents with the scouts so we make do with what we have to make it easier later

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I did that once... the soot turned the plastics inside the dishwasher grey. The wife was not impressed at all.

I now scrub my pots clean in the sink :rolleyes:

Some say that the only dishwasher in our house IS my wife ...
Personally I think it is kitchn fairies .. I unpack my cookwear first and by the time I have finished unpacking and tidying away all the other stuff my pots are clean!
Mind you I find this most efficacious if I unpack the cooking gear onto the work surface where my wife will soon be preparing dinner....

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello. Here is my rough kit list now with the additions that have arrived.

Full kit list

EQUIPMENT
Mora companion clipper knife
Gransfors hatchet
Laplander folding saw
RM Woodlore Fire steel
RM Woodlore tinder box
Binoculars
Glasses
Camera
Compass
Maps
550 Paracord

SHELTER/SLEEPING
DD 3x3 tarp
Gelert X-Treme Lite 1200 sleeping bag
BA Goretex Bivy bag
Yellowstone Eva camping mat
Ground sheet

COOKING
Stove set up
Yellowstone Non-Stick 2 Piece Mess Set
Trail Stainless Steel Camping Cutlery Set

Aside from the rucksack is there anything that I absolutely need? I want to try and stay as simple as possible. KISS.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE