Camp Chairs: what do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Tree-stumps with a sit-mat on top : OK for 24 hrs. Any longer and I need back support, especially if I have been working hard.

For canoe trips I take a fold up legless chair which supports your back when you sit in it. A bit like the Thermarest chair converter but without having to use a Thermarest.

For fixed camps I have a folding camp chair with back and arms. Having trashed many cheap ones, I bought an expensive from from (gasp) John Lewis and it is superb - even has insulated beer holders in the arms. On my Woodsmoke Woodlander course I was the only "student" who brought his own chair. I got a fair bit of teasing for the first couple days, but then a lot on envious looks thereafter and I even had to turf the instructors out of it. Any fool can be uncomfortable!

Inside a tentipi or similar, I find a "carp" chair with its low legs just the ticket, but these of course are pretty heavy.

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I cant imagine carrying a chair any distance, unless it's one of those ones that use a kipmat folded up, everything else just seems way too heavy to even consider it (one of the reasons I dont backpack any more).

For car camping though, I've found the Chub Lo-Lite Xtra to be a superb chair....

chub-lo-lite-chair.jpg

2781.jpg

It's one of the lighter carp fishing chairs, but I like it cos it's low down, good for round a fire or inside a tipi or bell tent, has extendable/adjustable legs for stability on slopes and uneven ground, mud feet so it doesnt sink in, subdued colour and wooden arms (there is a no-armrest version) which stay warm to touch when it's cold. Super comfy too - the adjustable legs mean you can vary the angle of the chair from bolt upright to a deep slouch, the back is high enough to rest your head, the seat is deep to support your legs but there is no cross bar under your hamstrings to dig in. Good kit.

Attachments

• chub-lo-lite-chair.jpg
    chub-lo-lite-chair.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

hobonick

Oct 30, 2012
london
just an idea ive been working on, weighs only 50grams and is ideally suited to woodlands as it needs a stick and soft earth to stick it into
can be made out off plastic, card or metal tubing and just requires some holes cut and 2 screws
chair-idea.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE