Camo-tarp, which one to choose?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DutchWalker

Apr 25, 2011
Netherlands
This summer I bought a DD hammock for myself and having been using it since. I'm using it with a flecktarn tarp, which is very heavy (around 1.4-1.5 kg). This is rather unpleasant so I'm looking for a new tarp.

I've got a couple of requirements:

- camouflage-pattern
- lightweight (900 grams max)
- minimum size 2x3 although 3x3 is preferred.

I already did some research and found these:

- DD multicam: was very tempted, but is a no-go mainly because of the repeating pattern
- UKMCPRO Elite evolution: cannot find reviews on it, so I'm very hesistant about ordering one.
- Webtex-basha: found a review on youtube, looks ok (although a little small)

In short, could you give me more options to consider?

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I could be wrong mate bit I don't think the webtex basha would be big enough. I have the army surplus version it's based on and when I looked at getting hammock ti go under it I was informed by a couple of very experienced tree swingers that it would be no where near big enough.
So I would say 3x3 minimum tbh!!
Cheers
Steve

DutchWalker

Apr 25, 2011
Netherlands
Hmm, I thought the webtex might be too small, so that's not going to be the one then.

And I also rather not use a tarp + camonet. I'd have to put two things up (even if just throwing it over the tarp) and it looks (imo :) ) very aggressive.

The Ray Mears / Aussie basha might be an option, although it's relatively expensive.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Im now using the issue basha/stretcher in DPM and dessert and there big enough to cover my travel hammock.
I was using the DD3x3 but decided to swap as its a little too big when ground dwelling.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like the UL 10x10, both in woodland and in multicam. Multicam is almost twice as much though. And I need to pay shipping (~35-40) and VAT (€12,5 + 19% of tarp price). So unless they have a European dealer it's a bit too much.

Yeah even here, I'm unimpressed with the price on the multicam.

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
I can recommend the UKMCpro Elite Basha, I have used it almost every month for the last few years very strong , although it weighs in at around 1-1.1kg , the fox is also a quality bit of kit. I tried looking for a lighter tarp than the Elite evolution for a trip to Sweden this year and could not decide on an alternative so I took the one I have. I knew I could rely on it.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I could be wrong mate bit I don't think the webtex basha would be big enough. I have the army surplus version it's based on and when I looked at getting hammock ti go under it I was informed by a couple of very experienced tree swingers that it would be no where near big enough.
So I would say 3x3 minimum tbh!!
Cheers
Steve

Hanging a basha or poncho on the diagonal will give you your required ridgeline coverage. It does not however give you much cover on the sides. In the summer (even later in the year) I use a golite poncho set up on the diagonal to cover my hammock, it's taken two thunderstorms too and both times performed really well.

It weighs 210 grams and dimensions its 8’8″ x 4’10″ (copypasta from google) which is 2.6m by 1.4m or 2.95m on the diagonal.

How much are you willing to spend? Is camo a deal breaker? I can think of a couple of popular OD hammock tarps.

DutchWalker

Apr 25, 2011
Netherlands
Hanging a basha or poncho on the diagonal will give you your required ridgeline coverage. It does not however give you much cover on the sides. In the summer (even later in the year) I use a golite poncho set up on the diagonal to cover my hammock, it's taken two thunderstorms too and both times performed really well.

It weighs 210 grams and dimensions its 8’8″ x 4’10″ (copypasta from google) which is 2.6m by 1.4m or 2.95m on the diagonal.

How much are you willing to spend? Is camo a deal breaker? I can think of a couple of popular OD hammock tarps.

I would prefer camo but if needed I would pick OD too. My budget isn't fixed but (obviously, I'm still Dutch :D ) cheaper is better. Set the maximum at € 75. Have to go to work but I'll make a list of all the things suggested alongs with pro's and con's.

DutchWalker

Apr 25, 2011
Netherlands
As promised, a lil' comparison:

DD 3x3 (~€ 35):
-Multicam:
pro’s: has camo, cheap, light (720g), large
con’s: repeating pattern, reduced number of attachment points
-Olive:
pro’s: cheap, light (720g), large
con’s: no camo

UKMCPRO (~35):
- Elite Evolution Basha:
pro’s: available in dpm/CE/multicam camo, cheap
con’s: 3x3 is heavy (1.1 kg), 2x3 acceptable weight (850g)

BCUSA tarps:
- UL Multicam 10x10 (feet, so 3x3m)
Pro’s: genuine multicam, light (540g)
Con’s: very expensive ($ 136, plus shipping, VAT & import cost from USA)
- Woodland (3x3m)
Pro’s: woodland camo, acceptable weight (850g)
Con’s: price ($ 73 plus shipping, VAT & import cost from USA)

Auscam hoochie:
pro’s: fairly cheap (50 AUSD)
con’s: small (2,85x1,85m), auscam, shipping, VAT & import cost costs a bundle

BCB
- Fox basha (~€65)
pro’s: camo woodland, light (700g)
con’s: only in 3x2m

Brand typeSize (m)Weight (g)Price (ex shipping, import & VAT when imported)Colours
DD 3x33x3720€ 35Multicam/Coyote/OD
UKMCPRO EEB 3x33x31100€ 40Multicam/DPM/CE
UKMCPRO EEB 3x23x2850€ 33Multicam/DPM/CE
BCUSA UL MTC3x3540$ 136Multicam (genuine)
BCUSA Woodland3x3850$ 73Woodland
Auscam hoochie2,85x1,85n/a50 AUSDAuscam
BCB Fox Basha3x2700€ 65DPM

It got a bit mingled but is still readable, I think ;) .
After looking at this, it seems a stupid idea to choose anything other than the DD tarp. Because it's cheap, light and large. Probably gonna do that, but more suggestions are always appreciated.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
A Brit issue basha rigged on the diagonal will cover my dd hammock and give a good simple living space, I dont like the dd tarps as the maerial is horrid and sounds like crisp packets in anything above a breeze,

Ebay linky, no link to seller

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE