Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Lol, maybe a few hog rashers in a pan :) from the few test burns so far, it does seem to get very hot very quickly - well compared to a regular Trangia burner

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
hey folkes - a brief update on what ive been doing;
Im now in Tonsberg for those that want to have a sneaky peak on a map, its about an hour away from Oslo on the Oslo Fjord and close to the coast, its also Norways first Town and was the seat of power for a very long time with lots of history focusing here. Its becoming a focus for lots of Viking reinactors and pilgrims and ive been getting a bit more involved with that croud - mainly making bits and bobs. Im still working with the New Oseberg ship but also started with some more leatherwork and blacksmithing. Its stil about 2-3 feet of snow everywhre out of the town i went for a brief saunter out earlier and despite being +1 in the sun because of the slight breeze was b$*tard cold! -13 this morning. So not much going on in the woods and with bushy/environmental work although have made some good contacts and might be doing a few workshops for tool use, sharpening etc maybe a bowmaking.
Still planning to have a place large enough to have workshops and encourage attendees from blighty so watch this space - no work for me yet but im fairly well occupied with the other things and the learning Norwegian! (which really isnt easy).

Hows the weather over there? my body is telling me i should be out in the woods seeing everything starting to come up and alive!

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Hope the weather is better than it was on Sunday, but if not i will stick to a couple of old sayings "if it's not raining, it's not training" and the other "there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" hope to see you all there come rain or shine

Dito Ricky, can't wait! Were down by the stream so I might take some bacon and see if I can catch some crayfish! If there are any! :0)

Got some fresh yeast too left over from my weekend bread making so a nice raised loaf on this weekends menu!! And maybe a fresh pizza base on the go!

I'm gona bring a few different cooking apparatus! My usual fire alter, a cheap large Tesco bar-b-q which should make a nice fire just for poking sticks in and stacking logs on. Might set up my old fire crane over the Tesco joby. And I've got a new Ti woodburner I bought for backpacking that i want to test out!

I think my theme is fire starting, fires, cooking & baking for this meet!

What you cooking?

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Crayfish? Hmm, I got a net to try out... And Also got a titanium Woodburner too! Mucho new kit to tryout if I do make it at weekend.

I think its ok if your not trying to catch crayfish.. were going for say.. sticklebacks.. but if you happen to pull up a non indigenous one well!! ;) As some have said on the thread its bacon on a line not a trap. To me the thread sways back and forth on the issue. If your getting rid of the invasive surely that's a good thing!! What do you think? :confused:

Stickles. Pic 1
Pacifastacus leniusculus are the red-clawed signal crayfish that are invasive. Pic 2
Austropotamobius Pallipes are the native white-clawed species. Pic 3
Gasterosteus_aculeatus.jpgPacifastacus_leniusculus.jpgAustropotamobius_pallipes.jpg

Bringing some fresh food to cook up, no more ready made meals or bacon! lol This time, Salmon steaks in soft taco shells + salad material and other bits and bobs....just not sure how much kit to bring with me... Do i bring the luxuries?..... Hmmmmm....

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Wolfcrafter is there any chance you could bring some extra staves so I can make up a tripod again to hang my kit bag off, don't know if you have any spare?

I will also be bringing along my big kettle for boiling water for plenty of cups of tea. A small tin for making char cloth, and a cast iron skillet My good lady picket up from a car boot sale.

Don't know if it was your good self that was after a bit of flint, so I will also bring along a flint stone about 2" diameter so will try and split it up to share for flint and steel kits to go with the char cloth. May have a go at another spoon if I get hold of a good bit of wood and give my crook knife another outing.

Apart from that just going to chill. Not long now.

Cheers

Rick

PS thinking I'm getting the swing of this bushcrafting game. I also want to try getting my tarp setup off to a tea and packing and setting it up like the good old Ray Mears and as also shown in the hammock and tarp setup document shown on the forum that I can't remember where at the moment.

One last thing I will bring along my roach pole and set up a portable antenna for my hand held VHF/UHF radio if no one has any objections?

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Still thinking about food, but first on my list is some bacon for breakfast :)

Have decided to bring my Polish Army tipi want to try it out with some clothes props instead of the central pole. IF some suitable wood is available, I would like to try a spoon too. Other than that, will just take it as it comes :)

I've got some nice kiln dried wood i'll try to bring along, was going to use most of it to cook with, but perhaps it could be used for spoons? I think there's some Walnut... maybe?...

I considered bringing the ingredients for a shepherds pie this evening lol, wouldn't be too difficult, except mashing the 'taters (Mr. Frodo)
I think i'll go for breakfast Wolfcrafter style, pancakes! American style ;-)

Really looking forwards to this one! A great chance to get away from work and the city, Finsbury Park (London) can start to get to you lol.

Wolfcrafter is there any chance you could bring some extra staves so I can make up a tripod
Ye no worries, im not using them this time, im in a Large TePee!

a cast iron skillet My good lady picket up from a car boot sale.
Ive found all you need to cook is a pot to boil and a skillet fry, great find Rickys Lady! :cool:

setting it up like the good old Ray Mears.. I can't remember where at the moment.
YouTube: Ray Mears / Tarp Hammock Routine
YouTube: Ray Mears Tarp Knots
Does this help Ricky?

One last thing I will bring along my roach pole and set up a portable antenna for my hand held VHF/UHF radio if no one has any objections?
Not at all Ham Man!

Still thinking about food, but first on my list is some bacon for breakfast :)
Ye defiantly on my list Lee, I might push the boat out and get some of that Jamie Oliver Bacon I had last time! Yum!!

Really looking forwards to this one!
Looking forward to it too Jason, even with the forecast drizzle! Ill get there early and sort out some firewood from the pile to make sure we have dry stuff!

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Not gonna be able to make it this time, guys! Too much to do before I have to go to Works Head office. Bogus. Will def do april meet as I'm booked of time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE