Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Well apparently this didnt get posted before i thought i had put it on last week... anyhow;

Little abbingdon camp site - booked for the weekend of the 13/14 November.
Booked and confirmed, so whos coming then?

I wil have a few projects on the go, including - hopefully a huge bowl...

:)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Yes its on - i waited until booked and confirmed this time before posting just to make sure!

Looks like there will be a few of us already which is great, and i am hopeful for a few more,
Its the usual drill please bring (in no particular order);
some cash (change, £3/day or part of)
some form of ID,
firewood if you have any (the site supply was very low last time we went although may have been replenished),
any green or greenish wood for a few projects which people may wish to try,
A few projects (id really like to do a bit of skills pooling if people are interested).

Hopefully Wolfcrafter is here somewhere and will attend with the big tarp - since realistically it is likely to be damper than previous visits!?!

If the wether is ok and the large pine logs are still there im hoping to split one with wedges and try to make a massive bowl - its hard work on the arm though so may be looking for volunteers to assist with some adzing/roughing....assuming we get a decent split not full of knots etc.

Im likely to be making more char cloth, and doing small wooden whittling jobbies butter paddles/needles, maybe a spoon or two.

:)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I only booked the one night -with it being dark early i didnt think anyone would want to get there in the dark and set camp!

We can have fires, last time wolfcrafter brought a kind small collapsable alter fire, which is much more efficient than the floor ones especialyl in cold and damp etc. Although i have to admit the firewood was sorry pickings.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Good news (or bad news if your desperate for me to make you something) I've been booked for the next two weeks solid as a behaviour consultant in a local school so dosh may start coming in again (not the £68 a week "promised" by the dole but still not arriving)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
So saturday only then, no probs. I may be able to bring some wood, greenish though. Both us and in-laws been major pruning! So may have fruit tree, Beech and some other odd bits if I get time to prep it... May also bring Lavvu if weather looks bad as a communal tent.

Hi guys, hows trick been, sorry been a bit blank of recent! lots been a doing! Fire alter modifications, wild travels in the west country, and just got back from a new site in the Midlands called North Wood. Lovely guys, and a great site they have! Mature woodland attached with not much disturbance so was great for Fungi ID. Never seen so many in one place, photographed over 20 types!!

Im on for the meet, be great to see you all for a fresh winter one! :0)

Ill bring the big tarp and my fire alter too Tim! It has an adjustible heat rack on it now! With beefed up sides and more stable legs that lock into place!

My pales Dale and Jason might be coming too but they will know closer the time!!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Righty ho folkes!

Nice to see this meet definately has legs, Wolf the improved fire alter sounds bonza to me, much more efficient that the ground fires and easier to cook on. Mates sound grand - although if they are not on here please do ask them to bring ID - you know how careful the scouts have to be now.

Mr Lewis - fruit tree wood!! bring all you can please perhaps we can have a play at decorative carving, if there is any you think we may be able to get a kuksa out of i would be exceptionall interested! I find beech great as well - with some of my favorite peices of handle being made from spalted beech (which goes rock hard!)
And as for the lavu...im sure we'd all like to see that - is it a big job?

Personally i will be about from saturday morning untill probably just after dark on the sunday - suppose we will have to get kit down etc in the light.

Kev - glad to hear you have something lined up (sorry to say i didnt realise you were looking!?)

Grand! :)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Planning on sorting out wood thursday next week, got some time of work. Don't think there is anything that big though. The beech is from a hedge so pretty small

The Lavvu is a decent size, not one of the real big ones though, did try selling it here but now got mods planned for it over winter including a stove.... Maybe the missus will like it then (she not to keen on it, hence why was selling it!).

I'll arrive Saturday morning for sure. Need some time out if you know what I mean!

Roy.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I'm really sorry to say, that I wont now be able to make this meet :( as much as I was looking forward to it (not camped out in November before), there are too many variables beyond my control preventing me from attending this time.

hopefully the next one wont be too far off, and I am so looking forward to that one :)

hope you all have a great time

SRC

Mar 14, 2008
Herts
Hi
I live in North Herts and have just found this thread. Sounds like a fabulous opportunity to camp out in November and hang out in the woods. I can't make next weekend as I have promised to take my son to the Science Museum for the day and he will be distraught if I cancel.

I will certainly be up for the next one if one is arranged. I don't know anyone who likes camping out so any opportunity is great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE