calling all north westers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
gaz_miggy said:
ok you may or may not know that iv been thinking or trying to get a regular meet to gether for awile, and now thanks to rangerman i think we can pull it together, the venue is beacon county park to start with and evry last weekend in the month starting hopefully the weekend of the 26th of august,

Excellent! It'll give me a chance to go and have a blat on my bike too, I love riding up there.

What time are you likely to be starting?

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
ok well update, i didnt get a chance to get up the the park to scout out a good site, as goose has sed dont think its very good for hammoks so might be a good chance to practice setting up tarps with out trees, and anyone is welcome, ow yes its £3 a night

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Firstly thanks to Gaz for sorting all this out. I had a great time and learnt some new things along the way.

Secondly thanks to Jonothan for the lift, without which I would have been unable to attend.

There was just Gaz, Jonothan and myself at this meet so it was quite cosy and I feel we got to know each rather well considering we had never met before. We all seemed to get along great and the chat (both bushcraft and non bushcraft) was very interesting but most of all was in no way awkward, like it can sometimes be when you meet strangers for the first time.

Gaz had picked an ideal little piece of woodland for our camp so after setting up tents/tarps/hammock we got a good fire going using the firesteel and birchbark followed by twigs then progressing to thicker wood.

More chat follwed by food and drinks and the weekend just better and better the longer we got into it. A bit of knot learning and gear comparison and so on.

Laughter was plenty and what was impressive was although a few people did wander throught "our patch" that Gaz had cordend off no-one seemed to mind we were there (of course we had permission and Gaz went throught the correct proceedure for events like this).

After packing away on Sunday, following the take only photos leave only footprints rule, we decided a quick visit to a near pub for a farewell pint of the good stuff was in order and we went our seperate ways.

In my opinion it was a really good, fun and sucsessful meet, my first in fact and it certainly will not be my last.

Gaz, let me know if you require the DVD's and we can sort something out.

Jonoathan let me know how you get on with your knife and PM me if you need any tips or want to post it to me so I can have another look at it.

All in all a great weekend, once again thanks you two, I feel I have made a couple of good, new pals.

All the best....Stu

PS the knot site I mentioned a few times is : http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/index.html

:D

andy_scouser

Nov 29, 2005
Ormskirk
Damn, i've just checked out the dates for my shooting comps, it looks like I won't be able to make a meet until the end of November as all the comps seem to be 'end of month' dates. If there is any interim meets, please let me know and ill be there.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Forgot I took this. Gaz Miggy limbing a dead, standing tree with a Laplander saw to feed the fire throughout the whole weekend.

dscn1061qs8.jpg

ATB Best....Stu

S

Soozy

Hi,
Whereabouts can you camp at Beacon Park, I didn't realise you could????
Are the meets still on or is it invited people only?!?!?!?

RodStrod

Jul 10, 2006
Bolton
I just realised that I never left a comment about this....oops

Suffice to say, pretty good weekend out and about in the woods, just what we like. Good company, good laughs and good ideas - learnt some new stuff, met some good folk - is there anything better? :)

Soozy - Gaz talked to the ranger and managed to arrange it, I don't think you can just walk in and pitch up. We roped off an area of trees - didn't really work, i think people's curiousity got the better of them - ooooooo, I'm not supposed to go down there, i wonder what is there....come on, lets have a look...sheesh! some people.

Stu - still working on my knife....its one of those "when i get time" jobs, i have filed it down and it works a little better....lets call it "work in progress", bring your file next time and we can do some work on it ;)

are we having another one?, i'll happily talk to the rangers if Gaz has gone to Cornwall as he intended. Or is....hmm, was it Rangerman on these boards? if he's still kicking around then maybe we could ask him if its still ok......thoughts, people?

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE