Calling all bowyers!!!???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
I need help. Looking at doing some z-splices and need a hand saw for the job. I have been looking at a Japanese Hassunme crosscut saw. Has anyone done any splice work on bow billets? Any help appreciated :confused:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Good choice of saw. If you get one with the replaceable blades I would see about getting the rip saw blade too. You do have to be more careful cutting splices with a hand saw than with a bandsaw, but the Japanese pull-saws are the next best thing.

Other than cutting your splice to take the kerf into account, not sure what other advice to offer.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
C_Claycomb said:
Good choice of saw. If you get one with the replaceable blades I would see about getting the rip saw blade too. You do have to be more careful cutting splices with a hand saw than with a bandsaw, but the Japanese pull-saws are the next best thing.

Other than cutting your splice to take the kerf into account, not sure what other advice to offer.

Just what I needed to know. Have plenty of stuff to practice on. Just did not want to waste my money! What glue do you use on a splice? Oh and nearly forgot do you use normal wood glue to stick on a raw hide backing? Sorry for all the questions, i have read conflicting opinions on the subject and figured someone on here would know :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE