Caching supplies.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ashes1627

Nomad
Nov 13, 2010
North Walsham, Norfolk
Hello chaps. I did a quick search on here, but couldn't see a thread about people caching supplies at their regular camping spot or excrete hitting the spinning metal blade bug out spot.Has anyone ever cached any supplies, what did you cache and what did you use to store the bits in?

I was wondering about getting an old ammo tin with a rubber seal and burying it at my bug out location. Do you think that would be ok, what sort of things should I store and is there a better alternative?

Thank you in anticipation of your responses.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When I used to do a lot of wild camping in the Lakes we used to frequent three or four places regularly, we'd stash tins of food, maybe a bottle of something alcoholic and some kind of shelter like a poncho or basha. It started off because a couple of the lads would bury stuff in walls because they couldn't be bothered carrying it back out, me and a pal would often go back at a later date to clean up or just sit and eat the food :) After a while we realised it was quite nice to have these caches dotted about, eventually we would do a big loop over three or four days and end up carrying half the weight we used to. The caches would get replenished too now and again if we had any left overs in the packs.

I stashed a lovely heavy german poncho in a wall somewhere near the summit of Helvellyn in a snow storm, been back a couple of times since and can I find it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Long term, unrefrigerated food preservation is a fascinating subject. I recently ate some butter that I had processed 30 months earlier and hadn't refrigerated since. Very nice it was too!

Not really bushcrafty in the whole "bug out" context, but probably fairly true to the original pioneers who had to travela long distance and then get a crop in before their supplies ran out!

Red

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
unfortunately the only thing I cache is alcohol, I tend to have a good few cans up at my usual spot waiting for me, I really dont need the added weight the cans provide.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Due to the nature of my fav local camp spot, i sometimes go there the week before and drop off food and water,it halves the weight of my pack for when im doing the camp for real,as ive got 500ft of cliff to decend.

Glydr

Feb 17, 2010
Wirral
I've got a cache which I keep maintained. Not gonna say where tho. I keep it in two plastic lidded buckets which I got from a "grow" shop for a fiver a piece.
Mostly I keep tinned food, rice and stuff there, but also bits of paracord, some tea lights and some bog roll.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
a metal ammo box might be problematic, I'm thinking the lid could rust shut.

Tried this with Globetrotter years ago he buried tins of baked beans and "rice pud" in bin bags, in woods about 10 miles from our town.
we came back some months later (the tins were in date), the beans were fine, the rice pudding was...fizzy!

I Knew someone at an outdoor activity centre that stored spares in huge 3-4ft tall hidden barrels, just meters from where people did the activities.
The barrels contained spare clothing, sleeping bags, food, fuel, water.

the containers were like this:
pid70.jpg

http://www.dvfuels.co.uk/product.asp?pid=70
the barrels were covered with a sheet of metal and covered in leaf litter.
They were designed to be permanent "cupboards" to store kit, get the barrel out of the ground would have involved a fair bit of digging!

Surprisingly easy to hide ;)

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I bought some £5 each from an agricultural show.
Mine still stank of pickle! it must have taken a good 3 or 4 washes to make them usable! ;)

when a teenager used to have pains wessex containers (smallish plastic tubs with screw lids but square sides ) caches all overthe new forest packked with various usfull stuff for the end of the world :D
also used ot cache one at a mates parents land we used for campouts so the Gypos didnt nick it (the shed would regularly get turned over )

th.ashx

ATB
Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE