Buzzard cries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just wondering if anyone knows enough about buzzards to be able to tell me...
the other day (really, really sunny) i was outside, and for about two hours what i'm certain was a buzzard was circling over the valley, crying out repeatedly. Why would it do this? Was is a young one that had lost its parents and was calling for them? Was it a parent who had lost its offspring and was calling for them? Was it vocally remarking it's territory like songbirds do? Was it trying to attrack a mate (and why would it be doing this at this time of the year? Surely it's the wrong time of year to be still looking, and i thought they mated for life?) Or was it just because it was a sunny day and it decided t tell us "hahaha, i'm a buzzard, top of the foodchain, i can fly and you can't!"?
Any info would be appreciated, thanx!

Ajali
XOX

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Dunno....but we can discount trying to get a mate: Wrong time of year.. courtship is usually January, February or a bit later. It's also too early for the young to be up and flying.. and their " Feed me" call is quite distinctive and pathetic.

Could be that something or someone was disturbing the nest.. a few years ago I was setting up camp near Ystradfellte in the Brecons Beacons and was pleased to see a Red Kite flying overhead, which then called.. and called... and I realised that I was tieing my hootchie onto the tree it's nest was in... hasty re-pack and move on....

The calling could be territorial but I like your:
"hahaha, i'm a buzzard, top of the foodchain, i can fly and you can't!"?

I've often wondered whether the calls might scare prey into giving their position away by moving.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
All the buzzards I have seen mew a lot when they're circling around in the sky - it might be to scare away competition, because songbirds seem to flee when they hear it.
I think it was just because it was a sunny day and it decided t tell us "hahaha, i'm a buzzard, top of the foodchain, i can fly and you can't!"? :D

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Its possible its a territorial thing brought on by having young about.

when I take Torin (harris hawk) out at this time of year the buzzards go ballistic, they dont seem to want to attack the intruder even though a buzzard is bigger than torin, they just fly around keeping there distance and screaming at him. which torin prompty ignores.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE