Buying woodland ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
If you've got around £15,000 you might want to check out www.woodlands.co.uk for the places they've got. Most are under 15 acres but that should be plenty for solo or small group bushcraft activities, after all it's enough to be away from prying eyes and not useing up all the resources in the first year.

A possibility for those with a bit less spare cash is to band together and have between ten and twenty people form a trust or co - operative where they each put in say £1,500 to raise the money. Over 2 years that's about £15 per week !!!!!!

Then they could buy a piece of woodland and have access to it without having to search out the owner, deal with worried members of the 'public' who are afraid of anyone whose life involves more than watching TV, Clear other people's mess and fit into their timetable etc.

I'd be interestted to hear what others think of this idea. :

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I proposed the idea to certain family members, "huh?" was my reply :roll: wishful thinking.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Wow, that is dirt cheap for 15 acres of wooded land. In the area where I live, 10 acre home sites go for between $250,000.00 and $1,000,000.00 depending on the view and if it's wooded or brush. Yep, they're insane.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
home sites and plots of woodland with no planning permission are 2 entirely different beasties

But yes if you are willing to brave the council and obtain planning permission then you can stand to make a tidy profit

Alternatively it can be seen as a smashing investment if ya need a lever to use on your family :wink:

Tant

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Think a generally good idea.

Problem always comes to the detail - finding a group with a common aim - ie some want a Bushcraft site, others conservation, others to get planning and or treat as investment.

Doing it amongst a family always runs the risk of falling out.

However, say you had a like mind group of individuals. Say with an interest in oh Bushcraft for instance. That could agree to acquire land for the practise of Bushcraft - in line with agreed etiquette/ code.

It could provide a location ( or locations ) for these hypothetical people to practise, meet etc and provide the chance to demonstrate best practise and preserve areas for their past time to proceed 'unmolested' and beholden to no one.

Hmm. Sounds good to me. Just a shame there is no common er FORUM, for such people to come together. :?:

Going to wait patiently now and see if that was too subtle :chill:

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
SWMBO brings this matter up quite frequently. But would be firmly commited to living on said plot, regardless of any....well, objections.

Her sister and her other half are into the more active side of environmental activism and have dwelt in all kinds of odd places against all kinds of odd opposition, up to and including violence from police forces not as restrained as British bobbies.

When I point out that you just can't do things like that she reminds me about sis and gives me a funny look... I believe she's serious too....

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ive been looking at buying a woodland in kent for a while now,39.500 is the price im lookin at for about 11 A, by the way the woodland for sale site has a great screensaver and wallpaper download, when i get it the partys at my place :naughty: :wink:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I reckon you could get a much better deal by looking at some of the less densely populated areas of France.

Lower land prices, more game, and with Ryan / Easyjet whoever doing incredibly priced flights, travel doesn't become a problem.

Get fifteen or twenty people in on it, and I'm sure you could get a sizable chunk of woodland with a river or pond on it.

Keith.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I'd be up for a share of some woodland... I'm not made of money but I could get a three or four thousand together.

I guess a few hundred for a solicitor to draw up a contract including opting out, selling, further divisions, maintenance agreements etc... it's all fairly simple.

Joe

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think that the thing people have to be aware of is that in this type of thing you end up putting your money in the pot and forgetting about it. There is no getting it back, selling your portion etc (other than to the joint owners maybe :?: )

It would be a forever decision for anyone involved. It's something that anyone considering it should take into consideration.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE