Buying from the states and tax!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Hi, I have recently bought several things from America, via the internet. In the past, I found around half the things you ordered this way got through without incurring tax, import tax, VAT etc. It seems to me, things rarely get through this way anymore. Am i imagining it? Is there a postal method that is LESS likely to incur tax? For instance, I have found things sent Global Priority always seem to get nabbed. Interesting to hear your thoughts, thanks, Mark

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Not wishing to hijack the thread - on the same line I would be interested if anyone can please advise on the taxes you should expect on importing goods from America.

I have been looking at a Surefire L4 torch which in this country is around £150. In America the same torch is $165 which with the favourable exchange rate is just over £80 - Is it worth considering or will taxes/duty wipe out any saving?

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I seem to remember that tax only applies on items over a certain value and it also depends what the item is. When I was doing civil war reenacting there were a few real horror stories. Customs would charge tax (VAT at 17.5%???) whilst translating the price at $1=£1 and then the postal service would pop a handling charge on top!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Not entirely sure but off the top of my head I think the cut off point is £18 normally or £36 if it's a gift. Over those thresholds the PO will charge you VAT, duty (depending on the item) and a "handling charge" of about a fiver. I think (it was a while ago).

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Aliwren said:
Not wishing to hijack the thread - on the same line I would be interested if anyone can please advise on the taxes you should expect on importing goods from America.

I have been looking at a Surefire L4 torch which in this country is around £150. In America the same torch is $165 which with the favourable exchange rate is just over £80 - Is it worth considering or will taxes/duty wipe out any saving?

I remembered this thread:
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32042&highlight=surefire

Any use? :)

Reactions: Aliwren

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE