Buying a top quilt - max rating or not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
I'm ready to move out of sleeping bags now I'm a happy hammocker. Bought the long winter under quilt from UK Hammocks second hand on here (it's rated at -15C) so that's the UQ sorted

But would folks advise buying the warmest rating and then just adjust how it is used in warmer weather? Best of these I can find is UK Hammocks at -15C (£165+PP)

Or a lower rated one (DD at 2C) and then add something? (£45+PP)

Also the UKH UQ is in its original bag which is quite bulky. How small should I expect this to pack down so I can buy a properly sized stuff bag?

Thanks folks

John

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If weight isnt a concern you may as well go for the warmest one. Plus if the DD TQ is anything like the DD UQ then it will be twice as bulky as a down quilt
I just bought a uk hammocks UQ off here which i think is the winter one and it will compress down to about 5ltrs in a drybag

I tell you what though, for a cheap summer option have a look here

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133054

used as just a TQ one of those bags will do me for when its warm and two together i reckon will be fine for a good bit of autumn

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have the Hammock Gear Burrow 0 with 40z overstuff for my topquilt:

Burrow%200%201_zpsa0kffexz.jpg

Colour coded for ease of use.

Colour%20codes_zps6i1azwwt.jpg

Black/Orange- Hammock Gear Burrow 0
Black/Black - Hammock Gear Burrow 40
Brown/Argon - Hammock Gear Incubator 20
Olive/Olive - UK Hammocks winter UQ

That should cover all the bases I need.

Last edited:

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
This is what I'm currently using UKhammocks summer TQ with 50g overfill, and summer UQ with 100g overfill

001_zpsomo2yprc.jpg

UQ in blue, TQ in an old Snugpak compression bag ( could have been compressed a little more) .
004_zpszpa6nbix.jpg

Also have an Enlightened Equipment Prodigy 30 degree synthetic.

001_zpsz51bdmer.jpg

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Decision made :D

Going for the UK Hammocks winter TQ maybe with some extra fill. Thinking rationale being I can use nothing or lighter sleeping bags when it's warm then switch to the TQ when it's not!

Managed to find a small stuff bag which really got the UQ down to a size which will fit in my pack

Maybe in the future when funds allow I can get a TQ for summer use

Thanks everyone

John

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Better to have the winter job and save up/manage till you can get something for summer than the other way round imo

Besides, by the time they've made it for you it will probably have cooled off anyways

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE