Buying a new knife...

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I've had my Clipper for nearly two years and it's pretty much done everything I wanted...It was my first knife, it's still a great knife but I want to give it to my friend...

I've been eyeing some knifes on Heinnie Haynes, would like stainless...

Can anyone give me recommendations? I would like a general knife, but with a thicker and wider blade than a mora.£30~

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
If you can source one second hand (to fit your budget)... Look into the Helle range.

The stainless laminate steel is superb.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
If your friend makes you a gift of a silver coin in return for the gift of a knife it doesn't sever the friendship.

the first time i heard this was from a member on here, shortly after i'd gifted him a knife, not seen him since......i'm guessing that silver's quite pricey at the moment :)

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
I would second the recommendation for Helle knives.

I bought a Helle Jegermester a few years back, and while it's a big knife, it has managed everything I could ask of it. I use it every single time I go out without fail. I could not be happier with this knife and while it may be a bit big for some, the Helle range have some smaller knives which, I would assume, would be of the same standard as the one I have.

Cheers

Dr O

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
+1 for Helle knives, My 'Eggen' model does the business. I couldn't imagine forking out for a Woodlore knife (ker-ching !)and giving it the stick this knife gets.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
+1 for Helle knives, My 'Eggen' model does the business. I couldn't imagine forking out for a Woodlore knife (ker-ching !)and giving it the stick this knife gets.

Yes I was eyeing the Eggen, looks a great knife, it's around £60 last time I checked.

I might get that Gerber Camp knife or Gerber Freeman knife, but are Gerber any good?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Have a look around fr styles and makes that take your eye, then maybe ask if anyone has any persnal experience good or bad about the ones you like, it quite hard to just pluck a knife out the air and suggest it, other than any mora classic of course, I love those knives!

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I suggest you need to keep the clipper as you will find no matter what else you buy you will still pick it up to use.

Mar 7, 2012
Yorkshire
I'm selling a Helle Fire if you're interested? £50 including delivery.
Only used it maybe 2-3 times for light stuff. It's wasted on me.

BigMack

Mar 3, 2012
Scotland
i just got one of these for a mate and was quite impressed as to how it felt for the money...

i never did get to use it, but im sure the steel will be ok, the grip is very good though...:)

hope this helps.

chris.

http://www.southwestsurvivalequipme...e-saws/knives/gerber-big-rock-camp-knife.html

I have one of these, the one with the full edge. You can also get a version with about 2inch of serated blade. Great knife and has been used for almost everthing from fishing to light carving. Well worth £33.50, I'm sure a paid a little more for it though.

P

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I have one of these, the one with the full edge. You can also get a version with about 2inch of serated blade. Great knife and has been used for almost everthing from fishing to light carving. Well worth £33.50, I'm sure a paid a little more for it though.

P

I might get it, but I also might just get a opinel, as an everyday carry...The bevel of an Opinel is funny though...anyway, how good are Opinels?

I'll just get an Opinel now, as they are cheap, and I can carry it on me...

I want an Opinel as I don't want to keep on carrying my main knife around, much easier if I have a small legal knife...

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2012
Yorkshire
I've never had an Opinel but I can recommend the EKA Compact for a UK legal everyday knife if that's what you're after.
Comes with a 10 year guarantee too and if you get a bright colour they're harder to lose.

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
I'll keep my Mora, and I'll get an Opinel No. 7...

Anyone had any use out of them, are they good?

Thanks! :)

Opinels are great knives and cheap as chips but they lock so not and EDC knife for the UK, they are not supposed to be legal over here either with the lock but with gozillions of them in French peoples pockets I've never heard of it being a problem:cool:

They always used to be carbon steel and hold an astonishing edge but are now available in stainless too, they are convex ground so are a doddle to keep stropped shaving sharp but will take a bit of practice to develop a slight rolling action to re-grind or sharpen on flat stones.

I sometimes wonder why I make knives after I've taken the trusty Opinel out for a spin;)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Hope you haven't had any bad luck Stu - still friends I hope!!

:lmao:

yes mate, still friends as far as i'm aware. it's been a while since we bumped in to one another though, hopefully catch up soon (and i can have a fondle of your new paul kirtley knife :))

as it happens my luck's been pretty good recently, so no worries there

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE