Buy some of the Lake District?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Just come across an article on the Country Living Website. Want to buy 32 acres of mature woodland for £110,000?
http://www.countryliving.co.uk/news...er&utm_content=CNL26022015Newsletter&utm_term=

Buy your own piece of the Lake District

Stickle-tarn-Getty-620x342.jpg
Photo: Getty

Preservation order

On the market for just £20,000 is the 24-acre Stickle Tarn (pictured above), which is surrounded by the wonderful Langdale Pikes with magnificent views across Langdale and beyond. Mark Hoggar, from the authority, said the tarn would not necessarily go to the highest bidder, but to a buyer who would “care for and preserve it”. He also said the buyer would not be able to restrict public access.
Photo: Getty

Also for £20,000, you could buy Lady Wood, two and a half acres of picturesque woodland overlooking Grasmere, with mature oak, birch and beech specimens, and lots of wildlife. If your pockets are a little deeper, take a look at Blea Brows at Coniston Water, which is a majestic ten-acre stretch of shoreline with wonderful birdlife and a variety of trees, plus, of course, the fantastic scenery – yours for £70,000.
Alternatively, Baneriggs Wood at Grasmere is a stunning woodland full of natural beauty and a haven for flora and fauna – the area of 16 acres is going for £110,000 – while Yewbarrow Wood at Longsleddale offers 36 acres for the same price.
Future plans

The Lake District National Park Authority owns or manages 22,240 acres, which actually comprises four per cent of the total area, so this puts in perspective the size of the area being sold – the closing date is 12 March. Fortunately, the money raised from the sale will be reinvested into projects to conserve and protect the countryside. Potential buyers also have to fill in a questionnaire of their intentions and “aspirations for the future” of woodland on the land. For more information, see Carter Jonas for Waterside Knott, Newby Bridge and Michael CL Hodgson estate agents for the other seven properties.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Presumably they will cut staff and senior staff wages as they area the directly administer gets smaller.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
It'll probably go for nearer £300K - the sale is by "tender" and the£110k is the starting price :( I've been looking at woodlands over the past year and you don't find any for much less than 10k per acre :(

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
And up there I'd imagine it will got for even more...

I'd love to have land in the lakes to run the Moot, that would be amazing...

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Not sure what you could do with it though, so tightly restricted. Also you'd be liable for the water quality going into the reservoir system. Feels like a vanity project to buy this. On the plus side, no one's going to be able to develop it or keep us off it, irrespective of who owns it.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
This is all very interesting, lots of wood parcels being sold off here in Scotland, rather more cheaply!
I saw one of those money-irresponsible architect's progs on TV (Kevin's home-made hut was a total DISASTER from a bushcraft/eco point of view IMO, and as for the materials/costs of George's hanging globe tent - !!!) about a guy who had bought a bit of the lakes - he was allowed to build a wooden hut for sleep-overs while managing his woodland.
Met a guy up here at a hutters conference who has bought a bit in Fife - the local planners love his woodland building which, tho very economical, is REALLY warm, comfortable, stylish and modern. He constructed it from 2 containers - doors open to reveal huge double-glazed windows & epic views. It's the security aspect from possible vandals that appealed to the planners apparently.
He rents out the shooting too so gets an income + game.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
This is all very interesting, lots of wood parcels being sold off here in Scotland, rather more cheaply!
I saw one of those money-irresponsible architect's progs on TV (Kevin's home-made hut was a total DISASTER from a bushcraft/eco point of view IMO, and as for the materials/costs of George's hanging globe tent - !!!) about a guy who had bought a bit of the lakes - he was allowed to build a wooden hut for sleep-overs while managing his woodland.
Met a guy up here at a hutters conference who has bought a bit in Fife - the local planners love his woodland building which, tho very economical, is REALLY warm, comfortable, stylish and modern. He constructed it from 2 containers - doors open to reveal huge double-glazed windows & epic views. It's the security aspect from possible vandals that appealed to the planners apparently.
He rents out the shooting too so gets an income + game.
East of England is about £10,00 per acre and LOADSSSS of restrictions. Even hard to put a mobile home or a hut on.
What are the prices and regs in Scotland like?

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
http://www.woodlands.co.uk/

The trouble with planners is they are not consistent - they have FAR too much individual discretion - this is not my opinion, this is FACT borne out by years of trying to work with them professionally.
Personally, I wanted to add a matching dormer window to a house in a hammerhead, where ALL the other houses, very similar in style, already had dormers. The local planning officer said "I don't like dormers and will object to your application". Why bother with that arrogance? I moved to a larger house instead.
I suppose if you had an area in mind, you could seek prior advice, trying to cultivate a sympathetic planner, or if you could identify one from research, then find a woodland in her/his area...
Though I've considered a semi-permanent place in the past, now I prefer to bush it in new areas, occasionally returning to favourites, and always very discreetly - bus passes and pushbikes don't attract attention like vehicles.
The trouble is the UK feudal state and attitudes - even with the right to roam here in Scotland, some landowners eg in Perthshire are assisted by police in making life difficult for wild campers - the opposite of the peace and quiet we seek.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE