Butser Ancient Farm Recce

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
not in the British Iron Age they didn't ;)
What was the Native technology when they invaded? I thought the Iron age continued through the Dark ages with pretty much little new invention or technology. The 'pull cut' saw wasn't invented until the medievial period. The Vikings may have added a bit of carbon to their iron but basic life wasn't much different to when the iron age Romans were here. Was it?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
aH1TA8D.png

Volunteered for the first time today. Moving and sorting timber, constructing fences and splitting some wood in the cold and rain, but I'm used to it. It was great meeting everyone, especially people like David Freeman. It's a bit surreal having lunch with people you've seen on TV, though I must admit I don't subscribe to the whole celebrity culture nonsense. Still, he's a very knowledgeable man. That's a picture of me wattling a fence.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good to see you enjoying it chap - get yourself over to Weald & Downland and up to Old Winchester Hill as well - so much to see and do round there :)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Volunteer Wednesday again. Getting more comfortable with the environment and the people. Done quite a variety of things today, but the primary task was helping construct the rafters of a storage hut beside the pig enclosure. That was fairly hands on, using the power drills and standing on wobbly fencing whilst trying not to get eaten by the two very large pigs. Aside from that I helped erect a mesh fence around a deposit of chalk and flint and done some log splitting.

9bPQGda.jpg

That's a picture of the hut so far.

Not sure if I should create a diary thread for these if anyone is interested. What do you think?

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I missed too until now. I!m sure you are learning such a lot. It reminds me, I haven't been to Butser in years, must go soon.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good to see the work on-going THOaken, a working diary sounds good for keeping us up to date on the skills and fun. Looks a cracking place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE