Butser Ancient Farm Recce

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Yesterday, on my 20th, I went to Butser Ancient Farm with my brother and a friend. My friend flew down from Scotland to spend three days here in Hampshire.

We spent roughly 2 hours there, what I'd consider a recce trip, because we had many other things to do, but we were very impressed. My brother and friend aren't as enthused by the subject as I am, but they thought it was a very worthwhile trip and were in awe of the replica Iron Age weaponry hanging from some of the walls in select roundhouses.

Regarding volunteering, I spoke to someone at the Janus Visitor Centre and gave her my email. Should be in contact soon.

fOPsEQW.jpg

There were a lot of informative signs with detailed illustrations.

DezC2wf.jpg

The visitor centre, though small, was filled with depictions of Celts and even had replica Roman armour and weaponry.

QIrmNVv.jpg

Outside at the beginning with my brother. I'm the one on the right.

LyV5ErR.jpg

Inside a Roman villa.

iMMtl2s.jpg

Outside one of the roundhouses. The roofs of all the Iron Age roundhouses were adorned with animal skulls. There was also a large pole with a yew or a ram's skull on it right in the centre of the village.

4SPTn2A.jpg

Inside a roundhouse. Incredible attention to detail. It's one thing to see artifacts in a museum behind a glass case, but to step into a reconstruction...

slBgfSH.jpg

We thought Ryan had the look...

A5o0m4t.jpg

Me holding a spear.

Overall it was a great trip, if a bit short. I'm going to return for a more in-depth look at the village on Monday, probably. If I were to make one complaint, I'd say the school kids broke the immersion factor both in and outside of the roundhouses. School bags littered across the floors really don't make for authentic looking photos. Oh well, it's good that they're allowed to get out there at all.

I hope you enjoyed my report.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wow, I've never seen the roofs done that way before. The crannog has a ring beam on posts and then that supports an upper ring frame that the roof poles rest on. It has inner walls too that create divisions within the space. Very interesting. Thank you for the report and the photos :D

Happy Birthday too :D :hapbirth:

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Happy Belated Birthday
THOaken

Sorry I missed you Birthday, looks like you had a great time though. Good report there and very nice pictures. Would love to see that place.

All the best, Colin.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Another belated happy birthday. It looks as though you found a splendid place to celebrate.

Thanks for the extremely interesting recce write up.

Cheers

Huon

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Now I really want to go there. I've always had a vague urge to go but with the place they are filming the Tudor Farm not a million miles away I definitely think a camping trip in the spring is in order. Castell Henllys in Wales is worth another visit, especially now the lads are old enough to appreciate it more.

thanks for sharing that!

tom

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
The place is certainly geared up for school visits - I know very well, having accompanied both my kids' year groups there - but they'll always be in the week and of course you could always check in advance. I think it's great that the kids are exposed to that part of our history. I loved watching them making up wattle and daub panels, and they all seemed to enjoy eating their packed lunches in a roundhouse with a fire - I certainly did!

The events they run there are often focused on children & families as well, but certainly not always, and it's worth checking.

I've enjoyed and got something out of both my visits there, and would say it's worth a visit if you're in the area.

Nice pics by the way THO; glad you had a good time and hope you enjoy your return.

(I think it's all chalk around there SW, so you're right.)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thanks, everyone. Just thought I'd share some more images with you.

4rdidxL.jpg

There were numerous buildings under construction. The place really does feel alive, and that's just after a 2 hour rough recce around the site.

3ur1Yy4.jpg

Flintknapper's dream behind the Roman Villa.

dQZfuYt.jpg

I do have a question about this image. I don't know that runes were in use during the Iron Age... Didn't they originate during the Viking Age and the great migrations? Those are Anglo-Saxon futhorc runes, and that doesn't really have anything to do with this period. The native Britons didn't have writing and it was only when the Romans came that place names were recorded and other such things. Any idea?

n5ASr2a.jpg

Again, it's a real working farm.

Last edited:

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
We always say we must have a look when we see the road signs, in a rush to get the ferry home to the IOW, Now I realise we must do it

Paul

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
DSCF1815.jpgDSCF1816.jpgDSCF1819.jpgDSCF1820.jpgIf you ever get to West Wales you must visit Castell Henlys, an reconstruction of an Iron Age fort that has the huts built on the post holes of the original huts.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
As with the maze, I think that the runes are just someone's good idea to enhance the range of historicity of the place without relevance to the iron Age. However, it is not impossible that, pre-Roman, the Britons did have some form of writing or record keeping, tally stick to a kind of Ogham, for example, is no great leap.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Went back to Butser and spoke to Ryan. I'm going to volunteer tomorrow for the first time. I didn't think I'd ever be volunteering at an ancient Iron Age farm that's ten minutes drive away from my house. Yet more voluntary experience under my belt, but it's all worth it.

Last edited:

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Went back to Butser and spoke to Ryan. I'm going to volunteer tomorrow for the first time. I didn't think I'd ever be volunteering at an ancient Iron Age farm that's ten minutes drive away from my house. Yet more voluntary experience under my belt, but it's all worth it.

Nice one mate. Volunteering is a pain especially when all you want to do is work. But it's a great way to gt experience.

Orric

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Not a bad result for a couple of hours out for a jolly :) I'm sure you'll have fun and learn loads there. I've not been there for years myself (despite demonstrating 5 mins down the row at other shows). I've got friends that work there, so say Hi for me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE