Bushmobile

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
My Mini has finally come back from the garage after a 11 month stay, and despite it still being fun to drive, I think it might be time to part ways with it. I've also got a Mazda I bought as a temporary runabout... so I think it might be time to sell the pair and get one really good vehicle. My other half has a Mitsubishi 4x4, but she is none too keen on me taking it away to the woods at a weekend. :(

As I discovered in Yorkshire and Derbyshire, a higher than average ground clearance is preferable... but at the same time one of the reasons I bought the Mini was its good MPG and I really enjoyed the trip to Scotland last time round... would love to do that again and again... so the question is if you had the option of a Bushmobile... an all rounder that is good for traveling distance, reasonably good ground clearance and enough room for your kit... what would you be looking at?

So far I've ruled out the Qashqai thingy... didn't feel right.... the Porsche Cayanne... because it felt like I was paying an extra 10k for a badge... and I had a quick go in a Range Rover... but had to exit quickly when I saw someone I knew :eek:

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Discovery 2 - get one of the later models, and pay a little extra for one that has a good condition chassis. They are awesome off road, much more comfortable than a defender, have shed loads of space for your kit, and will cruise quite happily at high motorway speeds (whilst still allowing you to have a conversation!). And loads loads cheaper than a similar condition and mileage defender.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Looked up the Yeti and the Volvo... I like both of those... the Yeti especially, looks like a good solid vehicle.

I'd love a Defender... especially the LWB version... but a bit nervous about the reliability issues. I was about to buy one a while back, missed it... then there was a thread on here about them breaking down and needing a tinker all the time.... don't want that on route to the middle of nowhere.

A couple of my mates have recommended the Disco... but these are the same mates who've modified them to green lane them to destruction. Speed isn't an issue to me... I drove to Scotland between 50-60 mph... same when I picked Mick up from Tyne&Wear.... we just trundled along and enjoyed the journey. What are they like to get repaired? Expensive?

Have to say, my little Mazda 5 has been to Dave Budds wood in Exeter, up north to Wooplaw in Scotland, across to Matt's place in Chesterfield and to Steve's North Wood near Birmingham... it's traveled to Tyne&Wear and onto Shiny Cliff in Derbyshire all in the same day, twice... and its traveled to Stead Hall without missing a beat. It's been used daily for 12 months and really has given me some great adventures... and its a 2 grand car. Nothing fancy, just a bog standard 1.5l MPV. Be sorry to see it go, but as my wife said today... 4 cars on the drive, we can only drive 2 at any one time... it's a waste and an expense we don't need.

Keep looking at that Yeti... every one of them I've looked at just looks solid and well kept.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Check out the Skoda Scout estate, might only have an extra two inches extra ground clearance but its a cracking car and it has intelligent 4 x 4

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
IME of running an old defender, they don't break down a lot.

What they do is rust. The windows fall down because the window mechanism is rusted. The locks fall in because the door is rusted. The bulkhead between engine and body just about evaporates. When it rains, you put on a raincoat. Initially you'll spend a lot of time going around seams with a sealant gun, trying to stop the leaks. Eventually you learn to embrace the (damp) tao of landy-driving, stick your elbow out the window and enjoy the fresh air.

The engine runs without care for decades. Chewing an awful lot of fuel in the process.

How much ground clearance do you want? Subaru Forester is good for long runs and handles a bit of mud.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Had a look at everything suggested... including the Unimog (which would be amazing... if I owned my own petrol station :p ) and the Subaru Forester looks to fit the bill the best... found one locally, so going for a look. Seems to be good mpg, decent sized engine and bags of room, 4wd and all the bells and whistles of an exec car.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Fitted with a set of the new BFG A/T's you will not be disappointed:
Ranger2015-4.jpg

K

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
As I discovered in Yorkshire and Derbyshire, a higher than average ground clearance is preferable... but at the same time one of the reasons I bought the Mini was its good MPG and I really enjoyed the trip to Scotland last time round... would love to do that again and again... so the question is if you had the option of a Bushmobile... an all rounder that is good for traveling distance, reasonably good ground clearance and enough room for your kit... what would you be looking at?

Currently my vehicle shopping list contains two vehicles.

Ford Transit AWD, short wheel base 350 model. Can fit just shy of 2 tons in the back, or tow 3.5 tons whilst still fitting a ton in the back. Ideally would like the 6 seater version...

Or

Fiat Panda 4x4 version.

That said my current bushmobile is called Luna, and she looks like this:

touringbrompton01_sm.jpg

J

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Ford Transit AWD, short wheel base 350 model. Can fit just shy of 2 tons in the back, or tow 3.5 tons whilst still fitting a ton in the back. Ideally would like the 6 seater version......

I like your taste! Be careful though; if you combine the short wheel base with the crew cab (4 door, 6 passenger) you'll of necessity forfeit space in the cargo bed.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I like your taste! Be careful though; if you combine the short wheel base with the crew cab (4 door, 6 passenger) you'll of necessity forfeit space in the cargo bed.

You can remove the seats and then a 8'x4' sheet will fit in there. With the seats, a standard 3'x4' pallet should fit IIRC. By having the 6 seats it qualifies for lower rates on the dartford bridge...

J

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
For the amount of places where I am actually allowed to go properly offroad I'm not bothered about having 4WD and for me the most practical vehicle is a van.

Can carry all my tools about in it, move motorbikes when they don't move themselves and I can kip in the back.

Long wheelbase Toyota Hiace in my case.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Another vote for a Forester, other possibilities could be a Nissan X-trail, Honda CRV?

barclay03

Jul 14, 2014
Glasgow
I was so tempted to buy a Ranger wildtrak in that colour! lol

I may be biased, but cant go wrong with a decent disco 2. Although im currently looking at getting a defender aswell.

sIMAG0369_zpsffraxyia.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE