Bushcrafty films!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Watched the first two episodes last night, not much in the way of bushcraft, however I liked the way they portrayed people dealing with having been thrown into an utterly alien situation.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Nope. Not much bushcraft techniques.. but the character Locke will start forming a more bushcrafty attitude. And.. well.. 2 episodes in this series are no episodes :) There is a LOT happening in the next 21 episodes :)

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
have to admit i am hooked on Lost too :-/

is anyone more of a geek than me i thought i recognised 3 of lockes knives. though i guess the BB peeps are having a ball :)

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
A good wilderness living film is Jeremiah Johnson. Good examples of skills. In outline a guy decides to live in the wilderness. He has no idea. He is taught by a back woodsman, marrys a native American, upsets a tribe and lives alone hunted by the young warriors. Powerfull stuff

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
innocent bystander said:
Well i dont know how it works and i dont know why it works. But works it does :D

Anyway, the film.
Dursu Uzala is what it is called, and living and travelling in some serious wilderness is what it's about. This is seriously one of the best films i have seen in ages (thumbs up to Clem for the recomendation ). The scenery is something to behold, and the story, when you get to the second half becomes very poignant indeed. If you get the chance i would strongly suggest that you watch it. I shall not say more than that because word's are not really enough to describe it. It's that good.
:) Iam glad and knew you would like it,as iam sure 9 out of 10 folks here would,it really is a cracking film no question about it.Its one of the best films ive ever seen,bushcrafty or not. :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Anyone know the title of this film?

Around the mid eighties I remember seeing a movie which I'm certain was Scandinavian, I'm fairly certain that it had won awards.

All the action takes place in the icy wastes of prehistoric Northern Scandinavia.

The gist was that a young boy was returning to his family's encampment, but is stopped short by the sight of some marauding tribesmen butchering his relatives and pushing the dead and wounded into a hole in the ice.

The remainder of the film has the marauders tracking the boy across wastes and through forests while he uses his skills to survive and eventually revenge himself on his persuers.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thats the Pathfinder,the other film i recomended besides besides Dursu Uzala,its newly available on dvd,but not with English sub titles sadly :(

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
You've got the devil's own job of finding pathfinder. I managed to get hold of an old copy on vhs, but it was a bit overpriced. On the plus side it is being remade - set in north america though, and should be out in 2007. :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
CLEM said:
Thats the Pathfinder,the other film i recomended besides besides Dursu Uzala,its newly available on dvd,but not with English sub titles sadly :(

Thanks Clem

Thats the one, from 1987 the IMDB names it 'Ofelas'...

Heres the link

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093668/

It is available on DVD from Amazon Deutschland, however even with English subtitles I'd still rather hear dialogue in saami.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
sandbender said:
Thanks Clem

Thats the one, from 1987 the IMDB names it 'Ofelas'...

Heres the link

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093668/

It is available on DVD from Amazon Deutschland, however even with English subtitles I'd still rather hear dialogue in saami.
No worries matey.Same here,one of my Norwegian mates is part Saami,part Kvaen tried to get me a copy for quite some time,he told me that Pathfinder had recently been remastered and transfered onto dvd but NOT with English subtitles,he couldent understand why either.I wanted to listen to it in Saami and read the subtitles in English,be a little bit more easy to understand and to enjoy the film to its fullest.It is a cracking film it has to be said.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Two of my favorite outdoor films are both based on the same true-life historical incident that took place in the Northwest Territories of Canada in 1932. One is called "Challenge to be Free," which is sort of a B-movie and more of a family film. The other is "Death Hunt," which has Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin (who was also in Hell in the Pacific). Basically the plot is the central character shoots a policeman and then evades a posse for a couple of months in January in Canada. Although not that much is made of his woods skills in either movie, in real life the man was a survival expert who evaded his pursuers for an unually long time.

The real problem with both movies is how much the story deviated from the historical facts, which isn't that unusual in the movies, but both movies contained many of the little details that really happened. For one thing, the police actually blew up his cabin with dynamite. There was an airplane that took part in the chase but it did not strafe the posse, than crash into a mountainside. In reality, it is hanging in some Canadian museum.

The main character, who was a trapper, was a mysterious person and there was little known about who he may have actually been. However, the posse finally caught up with him and shot holes in him, unlike the way it turned out in the movies. The whole incident was called "The mad trapper of Rat River."

Other inconvienient facts mostly ignored in the movies or otherwise misrepresented include the difficulty in keeping the posse supplies with food, the close calls experienced by those wounded by the trapper, whose name was believed to be Albert Johnson. The whole thing, by the way, started when the police called on Johnson to check on his trapper's license. He refused to talk with them and because of the weather, they had to return later, at which time the trapper shot one of the policemen. The other policeman had to get the wounded man to a hospital. He survived until just a few years ago. The police returned with a posse only to find him still at his cabin. There was a shootout. However, Johnson managed to escape after the cabin was dynamited. They later caught up with him, only to have Johnson kill a policeman, and he again escaped.

Some interesting points here is that when there was a gunfight and one of the posse was shot, it caused a great deal of confusion or trouble for the posse (to say the least). Basically the pursuit came to a halt until that was sorted out. Another is that they posse never gave up and that is one of the sources of the "They always get their man" legend. Another point is that although this all took place in a relatively unpopulated area, the law was still important and carefully upheld. The people around there were not really all that isolated and people were afraid of this man.

Finally, the posse started out with an Indian guide, who promptly got lost. But it was New Year's Day and he had just finished celebrating.

The author Dick North has written extensively on this subject. Some of the individuals who appeared in the movie "Challenge to be Free" had lived in the area where this all happened. The chief constable in the chase was named Edgar Millen and he was killed in one of the shootouts. The pilots name was W.R. May, who flew an enclosed monoplane, rather than an open cockpit biplane.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
For those of you interested in watching the Snow Walker, it is currently showing on Sky movies 1 and will be on this evening aswell.

It's been on quite a bit in the past few weeks, and I also contacted the producers. This is what they said when I asked if their would be a european release:

I really couldn’t say, since First Look doesn’t release films outside of the U.S. In foreign territories we act as sales agent, licensing various rights to other companies who are set up to distribute within said territory. Since we’re not privy to other companies’ release schedules, I have no info on even a speculative release date.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Best regards,

Vince Muscarella

Coordinator

First Look Home Entertainment

So there you have it. Check it on Sky Movies 1 now!!!

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Here is another addition to Bushcrafty films:

Ronja Rövardotter (1984)

High up on a rock, in the middle of a large forest, there is a stonghold. In that stonghold lives a band of robbers, who robs the innocent people who travels through the forest. Mattis is their leader. One night there is a terrible thunderstorm. A great lightning strucks the rock and makes a wide crack which divides the rock and the stronghold into two. The same, during the thunderstorm, two children are born. One is a girl - the daughter of Mattis and the other is a boy - the son of Borka. Borka now becomes the leader of the other part of the stronghold. From that day, there are two bands and they are the worst of enemies. It looks like nothing can bring them together again. But there are two things that can overcome all obstacles - love and friendship. The two children grow older, older each in thier part of the strong- hold, till one day, they are old enough to go out in the forest on thier own and take care of themselves, like the band's children have done in all times. And that will not be easy. There are many strange and dangerous creatures in the forest but also fantastic adventures...and friends...

This is a really good film based on the book written by Astrid Lindgren and directed by Tage Danielson. The atmosphere in the film reminds so much about home and the place where Astrid grew up in. It has a lot of Bushcraft in this one and a lot of laughs.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Alone in the Wilderness

the book and the DVD is cool
cheers
Abbe

Product Description:
"Alone in the Wilderness" is the story of Dick Proenneke. To live in a pristine land unchanged by man... to roam a wilderness through which few other humans have passed... to choose an idyllic site, cut trees and build a log cabin... to be a self-sufficient craftsman, making what is needed from materials available... to be not at odds with the world, but content with one's own thoughts and company... Thousands have had such dreams, but Dick Proenneke lived them. He found a place, built a cabin, and stayed to become part of the country. This video "Alone in the Wilderness" is a simple account of the day-to-day explorations and activities he carried out alone, and the constant chain of nature's events that kept him company.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE