BushcraftUk's own novel.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Wow, I've just sat here and read the whole lot (a lot more interesting than doing my books thats for sure!)

PLEASE pick up your threads again guys, I need to know that kid & Buck are cool, that poor Jimmy finds freedom and that the wolves become the master race - they've all been stranded!!

It might be an idea to collate all the different threads so far, minus the members inputs, into a more readable form and continue from there?? Be happy to help if I can...

j

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I stumbled across this thread today - I don't know how I hadn't seen it before - what a fantastic read! If this was a book, i'd be out buying hardback first editions now... :You_Rock_

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'd love to pick it up again. The last bit - 70 years on - is basically the same as the last chapter from Earth Abides which I have just re-read. It seemed fitting so I used the same scenario for Medik.

There are some excellent characters within the story as a whole and what an opportunity to showcase bushcraft and survival skills in the format of fiction for those who wouldn't normally be exposed to these skill areas.

Any ideas how we could collate all the parts of the story so far? I think a major rewrite may be needed in one specific writing style to keep it consistant, but all the scenarios need to be kept in and expanded upon. Any volunteers?

Eric

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
I'd be happy to get involved with it Eric, but I think editing it at this stage would be a little pointless.

If previous writers wish to continue with their characters and work towards a common 'goal' or event then it could work. At the moment there is some great writing but its still very much at the embryonic stage.

So, COME ON AUTHORS - get back to work! (and if you don't then I'm going to 'borrow' :D the theme and write my own bestseller and I'll invite you all the booklaunch!!)

Seriously tho, theres a talented bunch on here it seems and its such a pity that the idea didn't get any further

OK, At Ease, rant over ;)

j

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Think most of us are hooked so some more please and to help you, if you had to take and carry 10 items from your own home what would they be.

maybe it will get people thinking and adding to this thread, so your answers on a post card!!!!!!!!!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
"when is it...when...this is stupid...for cryin' out loud when?"

"You alright, Kid?"

"What?...Oh! Yeah!...Fine!" there was a hint of sarcasm in the reply.

"Okay! I only asked". Buck stood up and slung his bergan onto his back. "You sure you won't come?"

Kid shook his head but said nothing in reply.

Buck offered a calloused hand in parting, and Kid took it, desperate to keep hold of something important for once. Buck's mighty hand swamped Kids...like an offer of protection...but as the grip loosened so the offer vanished...

"You understand, don't you?"

Kid made no reply. He'd been here before, so many times. Always the loss, and always at the same time of year. But when...when is it? It must be soon.

"Catch ya later, Kid. And don't forget, think of tomorrow."

"I've got all I need, thanks"...No sooner had he said those words then the pain of his yesterdays forced his dirty nails into his palms. "That's alright Mum, I've got all I need..."

When? When is it?

"Buck..." he began to ask what he already knew the answer to. "...You got any idea what the date is?" There was a profound sense of fear in Kid's eyes as he asked, and Buck noticed.

"Why do you ask? After all, it's kind of irrelevant".

"I've got my reasons"

"Well, from what i can reckon it's April 27th. Why?" Buck was intrigued, why after all these months did kid want to know the date now.

Kid nodded as the date was confirmed..."So it's today" he said quietly, and understood why Buck was leaving. "That's alright, Buck, I've got everything I need..."

"I'll be off then..." and with that Buck turned sharply and vanished among the fresh greenery with a lightness of step that belied his size.

Kid sat by the debris hut, and reached into his dad's old rucksack. His hand fell on a crumpled image...He bit his lip 'till it bled...Not daring to cry...too often he had said those words...too often the excuses from his parents...too often the debts...too often the drunken fights...too often the empty promises...and all too often the dread of today...

And always the loss...

"I knew it was my birthday" he whispered.

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
stovie said:

And always the loss...

"I knew it was my birthday" he whispered.

Wow that gave me goose flesh. I don't post here mutch I mostly read and observe (actually I'm internet tracking all of you for e-food, internetcraft ?!) but I've just read the entirety of this thread and it's made wonderful reading. Congratulations all round guys, the pen is mightier than the sword (but arguably not a good knife !!)

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
He sat and watched as the last of the day’s light slip behind the distant rooftops, he’d always loved watching the sunset from up here, high above the streets below. The evenings they had spent on this very sofa talking about life and love. The arguments about his belief in modern life being out of balance, her abiding belief that it would all come right in the end. He laughed out loud, “Be careful what you wish for” she had said. Yeah, too right.

The place was dark and cold now, the sofa dank and stained. She hadn’t been here for months, the flat ruined and ransacked. It had taken him weeks to get here, travelling mainly at night and foraging where he could – no choice with the Remanant and their heavies roaming the streets. He shook his head and rolled his eyes, those Mad Max movies had a lot to answer for.

He had always known in his heart that she wouldn’t be here - either dead or, as he hoped, made it out to Ma’s place. Her car, or what was left of it, was on the street outside. That wasn’t a good sign.

He’d figured out how he’d survived and all his family hadn’t. He wasn’t bitter, it was a fact and that was that. The funeral pyre had been the hardest, but he wasn’t going to leave his kids to be picked over by the scavengers. He knew he should have headed straight for Merthyr Mawr, he was certain some of the others would have done, but he had to check to see if she was still here, still alive.

Merthyr, scene of the yearly moot and the very reason he was still here – yes they’d head there, only the other members would understand its significance and he longed to be back there. He’d try and find her mums place on the way. Pulling some dried meat from the Sabre, his whole life was contained in that olive green rucksack; he decided to bed there for the night and watch the sunrise flood her bedroom one last time.

He remembered the last time he’d seen her, the argument, her crying, him leaving. Maybe he should have left his wife and moved in with her, maybe things would have been different. Tomorrow he’d start walking again; maybe she’d be at Ma’s.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
As soon as he woke he knew today was going to be a Bad Day. As his eyes opened the enormity of it all hit him, the sky came down hard and the walls closed in. All gone, his children, his wife, his lover, the whole of society, gone. The guilt of surviving was like a hard and heavy stone in his gut – he’d been a liar and a betrayer, he didn’t deserve to live. His children had deserved to live and on days like this he wished he had died to and was with them. He wondered where they were, he was favouring Valhalla this week – his Son would have liked that, but it wouldn’t be pink enough for his daughter. He smiled as he thought about them. It had been weeks since he’d spoke a single word, he’d long since stopped talking to himself and he knew that the boundaries of his sanity were creaking.

The night had been full of noise, the Remnant partying in the bar down the road. He had been much closer to them then he would have liked. It seemed that even after the End of the World, they still felt the need to act like posh Fulham yobs. Maybe he wasn’t so different, they were trying to cling to the wreckage of their world and he trying to hold onto the wreckage of his sanity. He had always joked that he’s been born in the wrong age – well, here he was in the New Dark Age. Be careful what you wish for, she had said…

Quickly he gathered his pack and left the building, the very early hours were usually safe as the party boys and girls slept it off. Moving quietly through narrow streets, he headed towards the river. The wire squirrel snares he’d left in the local park supplied him with breakfast, as he deftly gutted and skinned the animal he felt a presence behind him. Turning away and right, his hand fell to his knife. “woah fella, woah” said the old tramp. “I ain’t looking for trouble…”. He stood slowly and moved his hand away from the sheath. The old boy looked relieved and eyeing the squirrel said “I was just wondering…”.

After splitting the roasted carcass with him and showing the old boy how to make and where to set the snares He set off again, but not before the tramp had warned him about the Remnant lookouts on all the remaining bridges. It was too risky to ford the Thames at night and He was forced to abandon any thoughts of venison from Richmond Park, which only left Royal Surrey Golf Club for foraging. Visions of plus fours and roasting golf balls on an open fire filled his mind. He giggled to himself, he really was losing it.

The days passed as he moved quietly through the outskirts of London, always careful not to be seen and to leave no trace. Wraysbury had been a laugh, he never thought he’d ever land that fat carp, constantly looking over his shoulder as he hauled it in, thrashing at the end of his night line. Only after he’d landed it did he realise that it had been the bailiffs and the EA He’d been looking out for, some habits die hard He thought. The large fish had made a welcome break from squirrel, rabbit and hedge greens and the couple of long, warm days that He spent in Windsor Great Park trapping and foraging had given him a good supply of dried meat and acorn flour to travel with. He was always amazed that the allotments He’d found along his journey hadn’t been plundered; He guessed that the owners must have long died, most were very overgrown, and that any local survivors didn’t know what they were looking at. He gathered root vegetables, herbs, apples, pears – Storing them in an old sack which he attached to his Sabre. He gorged on autumn berries and knew that he must think about the coming winter. The rabbit skin collection was coming on well, but he had no idea how to tan the stiff hides and they wouldn’t be much use as they were. His tarp and hammock would not keep the long dark night’s cold out, he would need to winter out somewhere.

Good Days and Bad Days had tumbled into each other and he hadn’t made more than a few miles a day. He figured that the further he moved from London the more survivors there would be, wouldn’t there? And the country folk would know more about crops and trapping than the Townies, so pickings could get slim. It was time to stop ambling and start moving. He knew he must get the Merthyr quickly, but would they accept him when he got there? If they were even there! Surely they would see how guilty he was, how unworthy of living. He’d spent so long alone, He had even begun to believe that the End must have been his fault - God paying him back for being bad. Maybe that was why he was travelling so slowly, maybe he’d be better off alone after all. Maybe they’d be safer without him…

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I have set this in the future when 'the people' are more established. I have borrowed from nordic saga and other oral traditions. As I write I am in a heat wave with a summer 'flu...ugh

I have made the assumption that they will be smi-tribal and that othe comunities will exist as well, some good, some bad.

Joshua’s tale

Joshua was still standing by the remains of the fire and stared into the hole. It was as Jae had wanted, built as a Roman funeral pyre the layers of wood had burnt overnight and nothing was left except a few dry bones, possibly vertebrae, but Joshua was not inclined to look. There was just one last task to do, fill in the hole and plant the mulberry tree. The tree would grow and this would be an extension to laughing meadow. They it called laughing meadow because this was where the dead were buried and the children play in summer. They climbed the trees and remember the dead by talking to the trees. It’s as good an ending you could wish for and a good beginning.

Justine came up behind Joshua, silent as ever, with a crystal wine glasses filled with red wine. The glasses had been one of Jae’s prize possessions. They had a large store of red wine that Jae had found in a Tesco’s nearly quarter of a century before. They raised a glass in salute and drank. Justine’s youngest grandchild was hanging on to the hem of her tasselled jacket, which was covered in the family bead work pattern, pink triangles, purple stars on a winding serpent. It had been Jae’s joke a reference to a prejudice from the past and a hope of the future. The little one tugged at Justine’s hem. ‘Grandpa, grandpa, want grandpajae’. Justine took the little one in her arms and gave her to Joshua. ‘Grandpa Jae’s gone to sleep youngling, let him rest awhile, a few summers from now he will send you a present’. ‘Oh, grandpajae sleepy head!’ ‘Yes my little one, grandpa Jae sleepy head’.

Justine put her arms around Joshua, it surprised him, she was a tall as him now. Had so much time passed that she had grown and he had shrunk? Or was it that he was .. then he heard the laughter in his head and Justine, their beloved daughter and mother of five and grandmother to nine said it out loud. ‘Old and bent dad?! You got to admit dad, that dad always had a sense of humour, I heard him say it just now as well. Will you tell me about yours and his life dad, please’. Joshua replied ‘I know that whine child, it got you honey cakes and green apples and mammoth case of the farts when you were little. Yes I will tell the tale to all of you tonight and then that’s it, you have to remember it and pass it on. It will be my time soon enough and you know what to do girl? ‘Ah dad don’t say that you got years left in you yet’. ‘You say that, but they go by fast at my age Justine, that they do. So tonight by the fire bring everyone and I will tell all and then no more’.

Silently, by common accord, they picked up the two shovels and began to fill the hole. The little one was happy playing with grass stems, the future was oblivious to the past. As last benediction they whispered their love and loss, Josh poured the last of the wine around the roots of the now planted mulberry tree on the bare patch of a grave. ‘I got a need on me Justine’. ‘I know that dad, I can tell since dad’s passing’. ‘I got a need to collect Emma’s bones and bring them here, she was family and it would sit well on my heart to know she was safe at last’. ‘As you wish father, but will you take one of the lads with you?’ ‘I’ll think about it, but I would rather it was young Emma herself who came, she looks just like your aunt at that age’. ‘Dad you know that’s just dreaming, I am not actually the fruit of your loins’. ‘Ha!, child, sometimes its not about what you are, its about who you are’.

The traditional words were spoken that night by the fire, all who could attended became still and let the images fill their minds. Josh could spin a yarn, not as well as Jae his life partner, but still a fine tale. There were fewer of the old ones left to tell of the end and beginning. So to hear an old one in good voice was a fine treat.

That evening the speaker of the hearth came forward and related the family line and gave mood to the setting in the flickering shadows. He was dressed in a long cloak and hood covered in small black beads that caught the glitter of the fire light.
‘This is the telling of Joshua and Jae man and man, who became man and wife. They walked the dark time to the moot and brought with them skills and tales. Joshua the leather worker and Jae the clothes cutter, fine hunters both and good friends to all. Both father to Justine the Raven hair. Jae challenged all for the rite to be this Raven hair’s father and mother, challenged all to the death. Joshua gave notice of blood feud should brave Jae fail and be lost to him. Let all men harken and fear for this challenge still stands! Yet it was not fulfilled, for the oldest and wisest placed his hand upon these two brothers and stood beside them. Thus none stood against them for the hand of the oldest is still with them as is that of his children and his children’s children. The line of Joshua and Jae still stands with its bold family emblem of pink triangle and purple star on a winding serpent. Know of this line if you see these symbols then shelter, food and friendship will be yours’ With a dramatic swirl the speaker pointed a finger at all ‘Their blood is your blood, your blood is our blood’. The speaker stalked off like an executioner with drama fit for a theatre.

Joshua knowing that this would be a show was wearing the white leather jacket and trousers that had been made for him by Jae. Embroidered in black, pink and purple, the black and pink were sea shells the purple were small plastic clippings from soft drinks bottles. His hair was held in a silver clasp beaten from 50p coins. In the top of his left boot he had his ‘bushie’ or bush knife on his right hip he wore a totally useless stainless steel ‘Rambo survival knife’, the dam thing did not hold an edge but looked very impressive as it glittered in the leather sheath covered in small bits of steel mirror. Jae had called it his ‘Glam Rock Glitter Get Up’. The comment would be wasted on the moot, only a handful of people understood the joke now. It suddenly occurred to him that this must have been how the last dinosaur felt, he and the other surviving oldsters were aliens to this place and culture. We had played at bushcraft and survived, but the young were bushcraft born.

He began

My life in the dark time was not happy. It was a world of small rooms with no sky, sometimes you could pass a season without the feel of the wind in your face and the smell of soft earth. Such was my unhappiness that I resolved to take my own life. I had visited many doctors and wise men who listened to my heart and soul, but the things they gave and offered made me sadder and emptied my heart of what little happiness that remained. At night the cars and people never stopped and lights burned in the streets taking away the glory of the stars. It was said that some children born in the great cities never ever saw true darkness or the stars at night.

My resolve and the need in my heart took me. With my silver and paper coins I rode on a great steel car to one of the remaining forests. The resolve in my heart was strong, I would walk the paths and find a place and enter the last dream, I would stay as many have done before and let the earth take me. For three days I stayed in the forest at first it was a place of fear, then I realised the strangeness I felt, it was quiet. The quietness entered my head and I became restful, for the first time in many years I slept with a deepness known only to those who have worked and toiled hard. The quietness entered my head and I resolved that this would be my new life.

I returned to my home in the great city of London and looked for the silence in my head. Using something called the ‘internet’ I found people who had the same desires and needs. Then I went and met ‘The First’. Tall he was, with red hair, broad of shoulder and easy to smile, slow to anger quick to laugh. He had a full calm face and a steady eye, Such was his way in the wilds that the animals would not flee. Broad was his knowledge of all things, true was his heart. Of his eyes I would say there were as a wolf, deep all seeing and knowing. He had known loss in his life yet bore it with dignity and pride, strong were his children with straight backs and true eyes. I hope his offspring still walk the land and tell of his line. It is said he still walks the paths and that sometimes when the path is not true and the darkness falls you will come across a quiet man with an easy smile, he will make you welcome and place a brew in your hand. He will listen to your story and know the truth of you, in the morning he will place you on the true path. Yet when you look behind you to thank him, he is gone.

You have heard of the dark time when the sickness came and bodies were left to rot where they fell. But the sickness did not strike all, some it passed and others it affected just a little. I had been at a gathering of ‘the people’ and though many of us had the sickness many of us survived. I lay in my bed for ten days my body filled with pain and my chest as though a great weight had been placed upon it. Living on water and soup when I could. By the end of the ten days the fever was in London and it ravaged all. It took another ten days before i could walk as a man again , by this time the city was a sea of dead and dying and smelt of rotting flesh.

You could hear the crying and moans of the dieing as you passed houses, you could smell death in the air. Some people formed small tribes, killing all that came near them for fear of the disease, others opened storage houses and took to drugs and alcohol, they tried to die in ecstasy of indulgence. Some raped and others murdered, this was the dark time. I knew I needed food and water and a place free of the plague rats. At night the rats roamed the streets looking like the ripples on the surface of a grey lake. So strong and bold were the rats that once, by the moonlight, I saw them trap and devour alive a full grown tom cat. I took my rucksack and bushcraft gear and went to a manmade river called the Grand Union Canal. I broke into a boat called ‘Merry Jane’ and set it adrift to the middle of the canal where I moored using stones and wire so the rats could not climb onboard. Here I lived for many weeks catching fish and eating it raw for fear of a fire bringing the Remnants to me. But alas, the level of water in this man made river began to fall and I needed to move again. Moving by night along the canal I came to a great building that was armoured and clad in steel, this was a super market called Sainsbury. The Remnants had tried to enter but steel shutters had kept them out and they had passed the store by. I returned to the canal and gathered as many ropes as I could find. I fitted a thin line to an arrow and shot the arrow across the corner of the roof. Five times I tried this before I managed to haul the rope up to the roof so that I could climb to the top. By the time I had finished nightfall came, so did the dogs and I was tired beyond imagining. Dogs of all sizes they were, hungry and lost, angry from hunger and willing to eat any living thing, rats, cats and people. In the morning I set up my basha and made camp on the steel roof. Working with the few tools I had I dug away the cement from the bricks and made a small entrance into the vast store. That was how I grew strong again, for three months I lived on the roof as the season changed, I dried smoked fish from plastic packets in the sun and wind. Made clothes and read many books. It was for me a time of fear and happiness. I lived on the best that the ‘old time’ could provide and planned what I should do next. Once I awoke in the cold and my bivvi, basha and belongings were knee deep in snow, often jack frost would pinch my nose at night. The spring came and it was time to move, I decided to walk to the moot with a deep hope that others has survived and were there as well. But first I had to find my sister to see if she still lived.

Fair was my sister Emma, of copper hair and pale honey skin. Lean and man tall with a grace of limb. She was learned and worked with books, vast was her knowledge of the old world and old time. She was quick to laugh and had kindness in her heart for all. Swift she was and could run like the wind for an hour and a day, never tiring, strong was her running as many a man found when they ran with her. Her copper hair blazed like fire in the sun as she ran, often people thought she had hair like a burning brand. Her eyes were as green as a cat yet held laughter and steel in them. Strong and fair was Emma and her loss is still felt in my heart.

I said goodbye to my home on the steel roof, cleaning all around me, leaving all as I found it. I replaced the bricks in the wall and sealed them with mud.
I set out and travelled by dusk and dawn, slow and sure avoiding the rampaging Remnants. It took me three days to travel that which now takes a day. Still there were survivors who would rather dwell in damnation and self pity rather than be one with the land. I saw many sadnesses on my journey, the remains of families huddled in corners with dead children and loved ones clutched in the arms of the dead. I travelled little during the day, for I had to be wary of dogs, people and all manner of things. Once I came across a woman who had been tied to a tree and left to die, there was little I could do as her wounds were grievous and beyond help. I gave her the edge of my great knife and she thanked me as she died. I left her where she still stood by the tree and moved on for fear of those who did such things finding me.

It took me a month to reach Emma’s home. Sometimes staying in the abandoned gardens of the dead, other times in the homes themselves. You could tell if the houses had dead in them, the windows would be covered with flies on the inside. When you walked through the house you would walk on a crust of dead flies which made a crunching noise like the sound of dry bracken underfoot. I looked at the windows of her home, there was joy in my heart, they were free of flies! But alas, when I entered I found that she too had been taken by the darkness. But such was her nature that not even the creatures that crawl would sully her fairness, not even the dark one cared to mar her beauty. I found her in her bed as though asleep, with her faithful dog still at her feet. Her hound ever true in life had chosen death rather than leave his beloved mistress. In death he guarded her as in life. By her hand there was a written letter, a skill not followed by many now, but still insisted on by the masters of craft, in the final hours of clarity she had left a message for me. It went as this.

Dearest Joshie, for this for this was the name she used for me as a child, I hope beyond all hope that you will find this letter, my time is short and I have much to say. I fear that the great adventure is upon me and I know I shall not see you again. I have love in my heart for you and sadness for world as it is and will be. All that is mine is yours and to this I swear. If you read this I have left a few books for you on herbs, plants, herbal medicine and tools. I hope they are not to heavy to carry. If the world becomes as I suspect they will help you a great deal. I don’t think the library will worry much if they are not returned. If you can find others who survive and do not let the world sink into a barbarous place. Our world had much of value not all of it was bad. Teach the children to read and remember. Please take my dog Farscape with you, he is a good friend and can run like the wind. The letter said many other things but of them I cannot speak. I still carry the letter to this day and I shall take it with me on the final journey.

I stood in tears and wept by her bed for a day and a night. Finally I did as she instructed I collected her books and a few other family things and prepared to move on. By her hand I left a book to read on the great journey and a glass of the finest wine. For her faithful hound a pile of the best bones to gnaw on while he stood guard over her. Before I left I planted fire thorn around her house. I was sure in the knowledge that they would grow and allow none to sully or disturb her place of rest.

The books she left me were these and they are a joy for those who can still read: Food for free, Herbal healers, A Hedgerow cookbook, Home tanning leather and small fur skins, deer skins into buckskins, American Indian tools and ornaments, Building the Traditional Japanese house , The Dangerous book for boys. They taught us how to make tools from bone and to know the wild plants that grew around us and could be eaten. Many of the homes you live in which are warm and use no steel or iron come from her legacy. I hear murmurs of laughter from the young as to how we could not know this, but it is true, for we did not grow or pick in the old time rather we bartered with paper and silver coin with those who traded. This is why the name Emma is venerated in our clan, It was she, even though dying, understood the needs of the future. The People count her as a founder as her heart and foresight guided us in many ways.

For three days I rested and then I set off towards the moot. That night I saw two fire stars cross the night sky, one greater and one lesser. I knew this to be a sign of Emma’s passing and had joy in my heart for they crossed the sky like a red flaming brands, and I knew that Emma was running the great journey with her faithful hound Farscape by her side. I was heading towards Oxford by following the great trade road. The trade road was a dangerous place then. It had many small bands who preyed upon passing travellers. Soon I discovered that if I walked from high ground to high ground and kept the great road in sight I could follow a general path without seeing many people. I was careful always to approach the tops on my hands and knees. This proved to be a wise caution, as once I found a band of Remnants upon the other side feasting upon their spoils. The Remnants were as demons from a distant hell. They had painted their faces and rent their clothes, many had coloured hair and body paint with evil words painted on their body. I could hear from the sounds that they had unwilling people among them and were subjecting them to cruelties beyond words for amusement. They screamed and ranted calling upon the devil and creatures from hell. Never did their lusts become satisfied for the terrors they could inflict.

I had been travelling many days and was weary needing a place to rest for a while when I came across a small track unused for many weeks. I headed down this track and came to a small farm. The doors were open and it was clear that It had been untouched for a long time. There was food in tins, which was a thing that was done then, and many things that we would regard as treasures now, boots, clothes and warm blankets. By now adversity was moulding me into a man of The People and I chose to sleep outside rather than be constricted by its hard walls.

end of part 1 all done :naughty:

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
My sleep was disturbed by the sound of a group of remnants. I could tell by the sound of them there was many and their excitement was great. There was much shouting and screaming and after they had set a great fire in the garden, by burning much of what was in the house, they danced in ecstasy on alcohol and consumed plants that gave them dreams and living nightmares. I lay there in the darkness in fear thinking only to escape, then I heard the scream, then another and another still. And as I listened I wept, for the remnant had brought with them unwilling people and worked all manner of hurts and pains upon their bodies. For three days I lay in the bottom of the garden under my basha being quieter than a mouse, more a wake and a wolf and ready to flee as a small deer. Finally the noises and the drunken riot subsided into sleep, very slowly, taking each move as though I was walking on broken glass I packed up my goods and chattels. Just as I was about to take down my basha I heard a sound in the undergrowth. There was some great beast crawling towards me at first I thought it might be a dog, the thought of a wolf did not occur to me for there were a few wolves alive and free at that point. I took the great knife from my hip and remembering what I had been taught many years ago held it with the cutting edge upward and slowly I stood. Then I saw him, the one who would become the other half of my life and take the darkness in my head away with his presence, crawling through the grass still bound hand and foot, his clothes stripped from his body. He did not see me I came across him very quietly and I put my hand around his mouth and gripped it so he could not make a noise. In spite of the grievous wounds inflicted to him he began to struggle and I said ‘ be quiet if you wish to live, I am leaving this place of hell come with me?’ then taking my great knife I cut his bonds. As the blood began to flow back into his hands and his feet he had to stifle the screams of pain. I left him where he lay with a caution ‘ do not move I'll be back in less than two minutes’ and I was true to my word.

We set out that night walking across the abandoned fields in the darkness I soon became aware that my new travelling companion was in great pain. Examining his feet by the light of the moon I could see that his feet were deeply cut and burnt, the remnants games had been cruel indeed, taking my spare socks from my pack I placed one pair on his feet and filled the others with dry grass stems and placed them over the top. Hoping that they would act as some kind of soft slipper, this worked for a few hours but after what may have been two or three hours he is feet began to bleed even more. It was then that I did something I had never done before, I lifted him in the carrying motion and placed him on my shoulders on top of my pack and I began to walk. By dawn I calculated that we had walked at least 10 miles. I literally fell down under a tree and wept from pain and fatigue. I took my canteen and found a small stream, never has the gift of water felt so wonderful and pure. I drank my fill and took my canteen back to the stranger who I had rescued.

My new-found travelling companion thanked me and drank the water and told me that the remnant had found him and his group of friends two days before they reached the house with a sheltered garden and since then they had no food or water. His travelling companions had been all-female and the remnant had defiled them all and had made him watch while they did many cruel things before letting them die. He told me that the band consisted of eight or nine men but hunted in small groups of three or four I took my spare shirt and tore it into strips and bandaged his wounds as best I could and after sleeping for an hour I picked him up once again and began to walk. All the time Jae talked to me telling me of his life his family and his loss, we did this for three days hoping that we had travelled far enough to leave the remnant behind us. He talked to me to keep me awake and to keep my spirits up as I carried him, I learned to that he was a lover of men such as I. That in our families, and in the time and place where we lived this was looked upon darkly and was considered a great dishonour. Such was the family dishonour that it was a thing that could not be mentioned or even countenanced and it had both driven us to the point of blackness and despair. The time I was trying to leave as little tracks as I could remembering all that I had heard and been told by others, when I came across small streams I would walk down them so there would be no tracks, frequently I crossed fences and often, where I could, I walked on black roads to leave no tracks.

On the third day I came to a small wood on the hill amid a field of flowers. And that it was where we made our camp. Taking my bow I shot a sheep, somewhat messily for hit it in the rear and it took some time to die as it ran away from me. I took this sheep back to a small camp where my friend lay asleep under the basha on my bivvi bag. First of all I gutted the sheep and I made a soup of the vital organs of the animal, liver, kidneys, heart the majority of this I gave to my friend. And then I went in search of water having used the last of it to feed my friend. I found a small place in the corner of the field that was moist soil and had lush green plants, I dug down about an arm's length into the ground and found water. Three times this hole filled with water, and three times I emptied it and allowed it to refill before I judged it to be pure, taking my canteen I filled it and went back to my sleeping friend.

I found Jae sitting bolt upright and he had his fingers on his lips looking at me, there was deep fear in his face and eyes. And then I heard the noise to, in the distance I could hear people approaching the wood, we had been followed it was at that point that I thought I ought to abandoned this new-found friend and let the remnant take him. But as I looked in his eyes that same dark resolve that had taken me to the quiet of the forest for the first time filled my heart, as I looked down into those eyes are dark as night I knew that I would never allow another person ever to inflict pain upon this person again. I took the great knife in my hip and I gave it to him and then I strung my bow I walked to the edge of the wood and I could see for them coming towards us. They were walking without a care in the world and when they saw me, they laughed and taunted me telling me of the things that they would do to me and him. I placed an arrow in my bow, which is the type now called a Mere and was used by ‘The People’ over 6000 years ago, of White Oak is my bow and it hangs in my home is still. Great was its pull strength being a 50lb or more, bitter was the arrows that it could deliver. As I pulled the strings I could hear him who taught me whispering in my ear telling me to be calm and giving me good advice then I let fly with my first arrow. Nothing seemed to happen and the leaders in the group taunted me saying that the arrow had gone astray. But the arrow had not gone astray guided by the hand of he who has taught me it had flown straight through the heart of the last remnant. And my choice was deliberate for I could see that the last remnant carried a crossbow of great power. Then came the second arrow and they began to run towards me shedding their packs and dropping their gear producing great blades with wicked edges and screaming obscene war cries. My second arrow took the leader through the groin, and still they came. My third arrow missed its mark, but my forth was shot at such a close range that it went through the stomach of one and into the leg of another. Placing another arrow in my bow I walked to where they lay, but before I could dispatch them Jae came upon them with my great knife and looking them in the eyes he said to them ‘this is for those whose lives you have destroyed, and futures you have taken away from them’. With one great tearing motion of this great blade he ended the lives of those who still lived. And then I lay upon the ground and wept for the misery of all men and the sadness that I had to take the lives of others so that we might be free. For many hours I wept, we both wept, for the loss of our families our friends and all that we had ever known and all that we had ever hoped to be. And while I wept Jae had collected their packs and removed from them much what was good and useful. The next day I removed their clothes for my friend had nothing, we washed the clothes that we found and dried them in the purifying sun. That night Jae skinned the sheep and made soft pads for the insides of the boots that he had chosen. He dried to sheepskin over the fire using a mixture of urine and ash to harden the leather.

I dragged the bodies into a ditch and covered them with branches and all manner of things in a hope that the carrion crows would not give away their presence. From among their goods I took this bush knife which I still carry, which I believe they must have taken from one of The People, for it had a set of initials carved upon it. And still to this day I carry it to honour those who have died. We moved on as soon as we could away from that accursed place but it was a victory of sorts The People, or we who were to become The People, had overcome the worst of that which was the dark time. Each day my friend healed a little more and by the turn of the season we reached the moot. Many were our small adventures and much did we both learn from the books left for me by my sister Emma the Swift.

In this journey we had grown lean and forest weary, yet we had the look of The People in our eyes when we met the eldest and the wisest of us. And that night in the gathering I stood before all and told of my love and affection for Jae. For I would not be in the moot as a man who did not tell the truth or was not true to his own word or self. Medic the oldest and wisest of all of us welcomed us as brothers, kin and as part of The People.

For three years we worked tanning hides and cutting clothes for Jae had studied in a place of learning the history of such things, many of you who now stand in Cossack boots do so because Jae could remember how they were made. Many of you who wander in your buckskin jackets owe them to the memory of one who could work with fine leather and needles. For he taught the skills to all who would listen and all who would learn for he was a craftsman of The People. The three years we laboured in this manner making a home and being happy, yet still something was missing for all around us families were growing and women were with children. And then it was that the Buck the quiet one came across a man with a child. This man was a remnant and was ill at the point die and he scrambled into a camp half blind and unknowing pulling a child behind him on a rope. And Buck came across this man and was angry for he would countenance no anger or aggression towards children and mighty was his anger to this man. Buck did take this child who was treated so cruelly in the manner of a dog and brought this child to the moot. The child was sickly and looked as though she too may die and great was the debate concerning the future of this child. Then Jae did stand-up and say to all that he would take this child and be as its mother and father. Strong with the argument that it was not seemly that two men raise a single daughter. Stronger still were the arguments that the child should be taken to the woods and left for the forest hunters with its disease and illness. Then Jae walked into the middle of the gathering and took out his knife and stuck it in the ground and he said this ‘ many are the women amongst us who are with child, not one single family does not grow or prosper amongst woods except ours. Who shall learn the skills of the leather worker and clothes cutter? For these are things that take great knowledge and great time and are best known by children’. Jae then took off the shirt and many were the cries, for few had ever seen grievous wounds inflicted upon him by the remnant. And picking up his knife he held aloft and declare this ‘ the future of this child is uncertain with The People, therefore I challenge any and all to the blood and the death for the right to give this child hearth, home and parentage’. Then I walked into the light of the fire and stood with pride by my partner and declared blood feud to any least he should die and leave me.

Strong with the words said by the fire that night and many arguments held sway. And then Medic came upon us with his strong sons and daughters and declared this ‘ we are The People, the values that those had who went before us are not ours. We have all said that we would be prepared to die for our children, here before you are two men who are prepared now to die for a child that is not theirs’. ‘ Therefore I say this, let them be the parents this child, for they more than any others know the fear of isolation and the torment of difference’.

Then Buck picked up the child and handed the child to Jae, and Jae held her to his chest and wept and he declared her name to be Justine later known as Justine Raven hair. For four days Jae held the child next to his chest while her fever raged. Four days the wise ones made potions for the child in the hope that she would live. For the four days I kept the vigil, keeping the fire, holding the child whenever Jae needed to move. On the fifth day of fever broke and Justine Raven hair slept, as did Jae. I wrapped them in blankets and left them sleeping on our great bed. I went and sought Medic and found him with Buck the Quiet and gave them the news. Then Buck handed me a brew made of honey and said ‘ welcome to the madhouse, you're lucky you have only got one!’ and great was the laughter from Medic and the others.

I hear questions from the younger ones of how I could have cried over the death of the Remnant and I say to you this. The first life I ever took I took out a pity and yet still in trouble's my soul. The first animal I had need to kill was that of the sheep and still that troubles me. The first enemies, and for me the last, that I ever raised my hand against were the remnant and still that troubles me, memories of these things still wake my sleep. They trouble my sleep because I am of The People, we never take needlessly or hunt needlessly. And this was the difference and this still is the difference between us and those who would take from others. We live in harmony with this world and that is all we seek to do, we do not wish to tame it all, or bended it to our will.

Emma held the silence for a little while, sitting in the room with the children, wearing Joshes jacket now a soft brown with age, Josh had given it to her on his passing just as her mother had been gifted all of Jae's fine things. 'So that is the tale of your great, great, grandfathers Joshua and Jae and Justine Raven hair.
A little one spoke up ‘So its true that they faced everyone and challenged the oldest as well for the love of Raven Hair the brave’. ‘Yes youngling it’s true and the family challenge still stands as long as we can remember’. ‘But surely the challenge is over auntie Emma, the old ones are dead and our line still prospers’. ‘No child, the challenge stood for more than Raven hair. It stood for the freedom to love who you will and how you will. That challenge we still honour. Now off you go and say hello to the mulberry tree and thank them all for saving us’.

Turning to three children sitting in a corner who had obviously been in a scuffle Emma looked them up and down. ‘Well what have you three mischief makers got to say for your selves? For drama she took the great ‘Rambo’ from her hip, the knife that taken the lives of the raiding Remnants many years ago, that had been carried by Joshua and Justine Raven hair the brave. The knife that had been given to her by the family after she had followed those who stole children. For one hundred days she stalked them to bring back a lost one, and many others, to the people The three children gulped and their eyes grew wide, they had the good grace and good sense to look at their feet and say nothing. ‘Look you lot, your are a trio of devils!. Your father uses the stale urine to make leather, just like grandpa’s Jae and Joshua did. It is not for pouring over the heads of passing elders! Now I am not going to punish you, but from now on you have to pee in the urine tank every day and nowhere else, do I make myself understood?’ The children silently nodded their heads. ‘Just to make sure I am going to track you’ Fixing each one with a fierce stare she issued the final threat. ‘I know all of you by your smell, so don’t let me catch you peeing anywhere else, got it, good, now scat!’ The three replied with a weary ‘Yes Auntie Emma’. Young Joshua, Jae and Justine trooped out like world weary soldiers, shoulders stooped and miserable to have faced the wrath of the ‘mighty auntie Emma the Wolf’.

Emma sat for a while in the family meeting house. It was built on the lines of a Japanese mountain dwelling, a steep thatched roof and raised from the ground on mushroom like concrete pad stones which kept the rats and other vermin out. A wide veranda all around kept it dry and enabled people to take their shoes off and stop the spread of mud. Her son had read one of Jae’s books on design one summer while ill and had helped Joshua design and build it. He now did a good trade in building and barter for his skills, the old ‘mud and muck’ walls and buildings were all now disappearing, progress is an odd thing she thought. The meeting house was more of a small school house with slate and chalk and a massive box of instant prescription glasses. Emma spent more time here now just like Joshua had in his last years, surrounded by books that had been rescued by Jae and Joshua and a good deal that had been carried from aunt Emma’s home, and what a journey that had been. Still, it had one compensation Josh had introduced her to aunt Emma’s store of malt whiskey. There had been quite a party with the founders when she had got back, even Buck the Quiet, one of the greatest of our trackers had clapped her on the shoulder and called her ‘young Emma’ and called her friend. She had seen aunt Emma’s pictures and she looked like a tracker of the people lean, man tall and alive with laughter and love. Joshua’s mother too, tall hawk eyed and bearing like a queen even though old and frail, an elder not to be crossed. At that thought it made her laugh, all of the Joshuajae’s women were not to be messed with, it ran in the family’s blood. Ah the memories, Joshua, Jae, mum-Justine Raven Hair the Brave, Tom her first love, her children, the memories.

Something caught Emma’s eye, she looked over her shoulder and in her mind she could see them, the three of them in the corner. ‘Ah you lot, must be nearing my time for the tree’. Jae looked her in the eyes, ‘its getting time for your last walk Emmy, take them with you’. Raven hair added, ‘you have a long time to go yet Emmy, we just wanted to know what the young ones were up too, kin is important’. Jae smiled ‘that copper headed one is just like you were when you were young’. Joshua grinned and looked at Justine Raven hair and said ‘after all its not what you are, its who you are’.

Sandsnakes

Reactions: Eric_Methven

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE