BushcraftUk's own novel.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Here's a novella written around BushcraftUK and inspired by a thread here:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?p=119399#post119399

OUR GOOSE IS COOKED!
By Eric Methven
A Speculative Post Apocolyptic Novella dedicated to, and written exclusively for members of BushcraftUK.

Introduction

This novella was inspired by a thread on the BushcraftUK discussion forum. It deals with a scenario where the only people left alive on the planet are people from BushcraftUK and their families.

The year is 2006 and some forum members have recently attended a bushcraft get together at Loch Achray in Scotland. Some of the same members also attended a formal BushcraftUK Moot the following weekend in southern England.

While in Scotland, one of the members brought along some wild geese he'd shot flying over his property. Everyone had a go at dressing the birds out and plucking the feathers. What nobody knew was that the geese had a serious form of avian flu and this was transmitted to everyone at the Scottish meet.

Within a week everyone had a heavy dose of flu like symptoms. Those that went to the other moot passed on the infection to all there. The flu was particularly virulent and everyone got quite ill for a few days.

Nothing more was thought about it until six weeks later when ordinary people started dropping like flies all over the country. A pandemic had started and it spread like wildfire. Many panicked and tried to get away by flying out of the country before the authorities closed all the airports. Those who got away just spread the virus throughout the rest of the world.

There was no recovery from this flu. If you got it, you died. It was a strain of avian flu that had mutated so it killed people. People had no immunity to the virus.

As more and more people died, and there was less and less people left to look after the sick and dying, systems started to close down. Power stations stopped working because there was nobody left to operate them. Banks didn't open and there was nobody there to fill the cash machines. Sewage works stopped pumping for a lack of fit staff and raw sewage backed up. Water stopped running from the taps and most people's homes became inhabitable. Those that had quarantined themselves at home were forced through hunger and lack of water to leave their homes and try and find help elsewhere.

The people who were left were terrified. They fought, they panicked, they died at the hands of someone bigger than themselves or with a bigger pointy stick. There were no more police, they had all succumbed to the virus. There was nobody to drive ambulances, and even if there had been there was nobody left in the hospitals to render aid.
Within six weeks of the virus striking, society had disappeared and the towns and cities of this and most other countries had become ghost towns with rotting corpses everywhere.

There were survivors. The people who had attended the bushcraft meets had unknowingly developed sufficient antibodies from the infected geese to give them immunity from the virus. The infected ones had infected their families, friends and work colleagues in some cases. All who had become ill six weeks previously didn't become ill when everyone around them succumbed and died. Within a short time, the population of the United Kingdom had reduced to little over one thousand people and they were all spread throughout the country.

They were alive in a living nightmare with no way of contacting each other since the internet was now only a thing of the past. Most families didn't even realise that the others from the meets were alive. They just thought they'd been luck, or been spared for some reason. Medik knew why they had been spared. He'd realised early on that his exposure to the first flu had immunised him from the mutated deadly version. This dawned on him when he was treating his sick patients and everyone else got sick until he was left on his own. Medik was exhausted though and it took him weeks to recover enough to start looking for others from the group.

Chapter 1

Dragging himself out of his camp bed on the fourth week after seeing his last patient die before his eyes, Medik stumbled out of the tent he and his family had been living in.
"Ah! You're awake at last" his wife said. She had the camp fire going and a large pot was suspended above it steaming gently. "Fancy a brew?"
"Hmmm" Medik grunted. "Sounds good. I've got a throat like a badger's bum".
"Well, you've been asleep for days. I'm not in the least surprised you're throat is dry. Are you going to try the amateur bands again today?"
"Yes" he said, " There's a few of us are radio hams so maybe someone will have his rig switched on."
"What are we going to do if we don't hear from anyone else?"
"Well", Medik said, "I'll have to make contact with them somehow. I know all, or nearly all of us will have survived the bird flu. I just hope the ones in the towns are safe."
Medik drank his coffee and looked around him. They were on the shores of Loch Achray in the Trossachs. They had moved out to the campsite when their home became uninhabitable and there were still sufficient numbers left in Perth to riot and cause security problems for him and his family. The boys were at the Loch side fishing and had landed a couple of good size trout. His wife was rubbing some clothes through and was hanging them out on a line to dry in the warm summer air. His bow and arrows were under a tarp he's erected to keep the majority of their gear dry and would be put to use later in the day if a deer presented itself.

Wildlife was abundant. Deer roamed freely now that there wasn't human scent around. Rabbits soon re-colonised areas denied to them by man and his machines. Medik drank his coffee and thought. He thought a lot these days. He thought about friends and colleagues who were no longer there. He thought about the vaccine that didn't work. He thought about all of the bushcraft people who were probably still alive and he wondered how he was going to make contact with them.......

That's it for now. Feedback so far please?

Eric

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Well im gripped already, when is the next chapter due? :D It sounds very similar to 28days later, except more possible. :eek:

Thats an amazing start there Eric, what an imagination! :D Did you have the old moonshine out agian? :lmao:

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Is this your first attempt at writting semi seriously?, If so i would say that it's excellent! You have managed to convey a sense of hardiness and honest to goodness about your characters so far in a short time. More info on each can be added later as they come into play building them up a bit.
A good description of recent events leading up too. Although some mention of government, panick , violence and fear may give the flu deaths the grit they desrve. Maybe Medick could remark upon an inch long scar he recieved in the early hours of the flu riots.
Truely, i think you have just touched on a very plausable and fascinating senario here. How a group of people with a bond are scattered across the country because of a the same incident. How you gradually bring each small group into play as they get one step closer to each other. Learning more and more about them and the magnet that pulls them together. Their bond through like mindedness and the similar skills they posses. How they utilise their surroundings differently but with the same goal. Where will they end up? Will Medik be their leader or is he the strong magnet?

Very very good Eric! I can't wait to see some more.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
OK here's more.
Continued....
.....He thought about friends and colleagues who were no longer there. He thought about the vaccine that didn't work. He thought about all of the bushcraft people who were probably still alive and he wondered how he was going to make contact with them.

Melissa Patterson sat in her office chair alone once more. She sat there because she didn't know what else to do. It was a weekday so she should be at the office. She'd been doing the same routine for the last twenty years. Now in her early forties, Melissa couldn't imagine life without routine. She sat there and moved papers around. The computer didn't work, the phone didn't ring, the forklift truck in the warehouse was silent. She was alone. Melissa asked God once more why she'd been spared. Once more, she got no answer.

Melissa had been to the bushcraft moot and had picked up the flu first time round. She was quite ill and took a week off work at her doctor's insistance. The warehouse manager was annoyed by her absense and phoned her at home a few times asking questions about where certain papers were. Melissa didn't want to give the flu to any of her colleagues. She was new to the bushcraft hobby. She'd been watching Ray Mears on the telly for the past couple of years and found him and what he did interesting. She liked the idea of being able to live off the land but didn't quite see it as a way of life. She still liked her comforts. Melissa had learned how to make fire by friction at the moot and showed her new found skill off to the forklift driver who she knew was ex-military on her return from sick leave. She could also get a keen edge on her new scandi knife since being shown how to use a water stone by one of the older, more experienced members.

It had been over a week since the last of her colleagues had died. Melissa waited to get ill but she never did. She didn't know what else to do. Eventually she locked up the office and walked slowly across the massive warehouse floor. She looked around her and saw row upon row of boxes. Menu D, Menu C, Menu A, all ten man military compo rations, each box holding enough food for ten men for a day, or one man for ten days. There were thousands and thousands of boxes, all stacked row upon row.

At the other end of the warehouse were cases containing military kit. Melissa knew exactly what was in each case. Clothing in this one. Webbing in that. The big one over in the corner had four quad bikes, all four wheel drive and painted olive green. She left through the small door set into the massive metal sliding doors and locked up as usual. She got into her car and drove the five miles to her home. Melissa didn't know how much longer she could stay there. There was no power any longer, she'd been using a Tilly lamp at night for weeks now and didn't have much paraffin left. She'd also had to make use of a porta potty as the toilet didn't flush any more. She knew she couldn't stay there much longer but didn't really know where else to go. Melissa pondered on her predicament.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
More,more.

I hope that you have already written the complete story and are sending it out in bits.It would be too hard to wait until the weekend for the next installment. :eek:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
OK, so I am rocking with laughter over the name "Medik" since my name is Richard and I am a doctor. Nice one. Fab start.

You know how some novels start with a load of disconnected stories that eventually link up, and written from several different points of view. So there is plenty of room for the tale to be told from other points of view.

So...

13th June 2006

Hi to anyone reading this, but you're NOT SUPPOSED TO as this is PRIVATE. My name is Carelle and this is my diary. I bought it today and this is my first entry. So, what shall I write about... I am 15 (well I will be on 7th Septemb

15th June 2006
AAAGGHH... I hate my parents. When I was writing the other day I was going to go on to say that I promised promised promised to write every day. But I was called to dinner, chores like feed Minty, homework and then bed the other night. Then yesterday it was xxxxxxxxxxxx, then xxxxxxxx and I forgot. And it's all their fault.

Well. This diary does need some special rules that are just mine, so... I promise to never correct what I wrote the day before. I promise to write something that no one else knows every time. I have kept to that so far. I can't promise to write every day. So... I won't ever write about the missing days. To keep to that I have to cross out a bit about yesterday. That way I might be more keen to write every day.

Got to go and feed Minty.

16th June 2006

Lets start with the secret of the day. I know what dad keeps in his secret draw in the shed. Rocks!!!!!! O.K. thats got that done. More about me and my family. I like yellow, I like Mrs Burnett in music at school, I have dark brown eyes, a couple of spots on my forehead, and I am getting a tan. My mum..... Oh what can I say about mum? She just is. She works in the local library part time, I don't know what else she does. My dad. He is a bit odd. He is away on some "buscraft" weekend tonight. I think it is about buses, but I don't understand why he is taking a bundle of sticks. He works in the local hospital. When we go on family picnics he will spend a lot of time twisting grass into string, or make a fire after a lot of effort and just put it out again.

My best friend is Sarai. Her dad goes to football a lot and is even more useless.

18th June 2006

Lovely weekend. Dad was away so me and mum went up to town to Tate Modern. We had icecreams.

Dad came back again about an hour ago. He smells!!!! (That is the secret today because I am sure he doesn't know).

--------------
Enough for now.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Fixed a few date problems. Hope this is OK.

--------------------------------

Monday 19th June 2006

Michael at school is dishy. But then everyone else thinks so too.

Tuesday 20th June 2006

Brushed Michael's hand as I openned a door at school. I don't think he noticed. Dad was off work today and didn't even cook dinner. Must be ill.

Friday 23rd June 2006

That never happened before. Dad's in hospital now. He was so hot this morning. Panadol did nothing. 106 degrees the doctor said, and he really looked bad. His breathing is so fast. He didn't seem to recognise me or notice when I kissed him and mopped his forehead.

Monday 26th June 2006

Thank goodness. Dad is home again. Pneumonia mum said. Had loads of antibiotic in hospital and taken some home with him. I kissed Michael today after school. It's odd, it's summer but it is really cold tonight.

Tuesday 27th June 2006

Wow. We are all at home today. Mum and I seem to be getting the flu. Dad has a bad cough and is still weak. At least he is able to look after Minty. Minty is growing fast. Less of a young lamb and more like a small sheep now.

Monday 3rd July 2006

That was a stupid rule... not writing about what happened on another day. Can't say how ill I have felt and how mum's been in bed and dad's struggling to do everything. Hard work even lifting the pen to write this. Think I am getting better.

Wednesday 5th July 2006

Definitely getting stronger. Could actually walk down the garden and stroke Minty when mum and dad not looking.

Friday 7th July 2006

Managed a half day at school. Didn't see Michael though. Someone said he was off. Probably skipping lessons. Didn't like him anyway.

Wednesday 6th September 2006

Can't sleep. Forgot about the diary till now. It's my birthday tomorrow. Bother, I can't say about my summer hols when we went to xxxxxxxxxxx (I can't say 'cause of the rule) and I snogged Adrianne on the beach. Ooh I should not have written that. Never mind. It's my diary.

It's rotten when your birthday is in the week. The party's not till Saturday.

Thursday 14th September 2006

The News was a bit scary today. Something about an epidmicci or some such long word. Then they said it was flu. They might stop all flights to some countries. I know dad has been very busy at work. He is a manager. I secretly think he thinks he runs the hospital, when really it is run by the doctors. Init. Come to think of it a lot of people were off school this week.

Friday 15th September 2006

Oh my God.... I brought a letter home from school. It says that schools are to close for a while. To stop the epidemicci. That is so fab. Me and my mates can go out, or stay in and watch TV or DVDs.

Saturday 16th September 2006

I got it wrong. It's an epidemic. I'm already bord of DVDs. Why won't mum let me watch TV. I am 15!!!! They won't let me go out. Mum and dad are arguing a lot.

Sunday 17th September 2006

CAMPING? CAMPING?? Mum and dad want to go camping. We never go camping. What is the world coming to? What is going on? Won't anyone tell me anything? I like it here in London. And it has been cold and rainy already. It's nearly Christmas. Mum went shopping and came back with so much food. She said there were fights at the till and she got a black eye.

Wednesday 20th September 2006

I sneaked my diary into my bag. Dad said we should only take things that were on his list. Why are we here? In fact where are we? Still, it's a nice tent and there are a few other tents inthe field and I have seen a couple of girls my age in the distance. Dad brought a radio. We've all been listening to it all day. Mum and dad are just sitting for hours listening. What's a 100% mortality? What's "a long incubation period"? What is "highly infectious"? No vaccine?

Thursday 21st September 2006

I am shaking as I write this. Mum and dad slept late having told me not to talk to anyone elso on the campsite. But I sneaked out to find the other girls. I wish I wish I wish I wish I hadn't. The campsite was very quiet. As I approached their tent I heard ........

No. I can't write it down. I ran back to mum and dad and hurled myself into their arms. Boy were they cross with me for leaving the tent. But how I love them, love them for holding me tight. They knew I could be killing them.

We packed right up that very hour and drove off to find another place to camp.

Tuesday 26th September 2006

We found a foreign language station on the radio this morning. Big deal. Yes a big deal. There were no others. The music sounded like an army march music. I can't take it in. Let's go home. See friends, watch a comedy on telly, phone aunty Belinda. Get Minty back from Fred next door. But, there are two me's now. One is 15 and a child. The other is 51. I'm old and tired, and I know the world has changed for ever and within a few days me and mum and dad will also not be around any more.

Thursday 28th September 2006

I am fiercely alive now. Every second is precious. The grass is such a fantastic green. The air is so wonderfully life giving. Rabbit stew is wow. Will it last? Dad got me to use a bow drill this morning and I lit the fire. We have 1000s of matches but who needs them when you can light fire with your own effort. Will we last? The sun is flaming off the dew drops on the field. The trees are developing an orange tint. I run screaming across the field, shouting my head off. The rooks, the beautiful black rooks that dad pointed out to me the night before, take flght and I laugh out loud as they make their racket and flyabout the sky above the copse. I spin round and round and fall into the grass, drunk with life. We will last. We will live for ever.

Friday 29th September 2006

Black, black, dark, grey, death, loss, grief, anger, tears. Let it end. Let it all end. Don't get up, don't eat, scream at mother, scratch, bite, SPITTT.

Thursday 5th October 2006

We three, the animals, the plants and the trees, and the stars. A silent radio. No sounds of cars. No planes in the sky. We have all had see-sawing emotions. We have prayed each morning and night. We never did that before. We both thank God for life and we curse God for life. At night we howl at the moon. What brilliant stars. Never been like that before. Dad showed me the Milky Way, the Plough and the Pole Star. Waiting for life to end.

Saturday 7th October 2006

We have been discussing and debating. It's weird saying that. I seem to be an equal with my parents now. I put childhood aside in 2 short weeks, I am stronger than mother, faster than dad, more angry than either of them. I killed a rabbit yesterday with the gun dad found. We have been discussing and debating what to do. It is clear that we are all in excellent physical health. (That doesn't include some dozens of scratches and mum twisted her ankle two days ago.) Bad smells come from most farmhouses and cottages and we have kept clear of any towns. Black smoke hangs over the sky above London, on the distant horizon.

For some unknown reason flu came, took everyone it seems ... except us. Mum says that the news said it was a mutated bird flu. Came out of Malaysia first. Cases were infectious from 2 days after catching it and it gave nothing but a light cold for 3 weeks. Then just when you thought it should be getting better it got worse. And worse. And worse. It attacked lung tissue directly. Vaccine prepared before it jumped from birds turned out to be no use at all. Well, it did mean that you lived for a week longer. The mild cold stage was long enough for it to have affected most of the world before people started dying. Hospitals merely served as a focus of infection - passing it on to all who visited them for any reason.

Why us? Were there any others? What did we want to do now?

A flock of canada geese flew past at soup time. Dad looked up as we heard the whistling of their wings as they approached and reached out for his bow, took aim, then.. they were gone. Angrily I snatched the bow off dad, grabbed an arrow and loosed it. To no avail. I was a rotten shot and they were far too far away by then. "It's geese" he said. "No Dad, it WAS geese. Why did you freeze like that?" He told me and Mum about some geese that had been handled by everyone at his bushcraft meet back in the early summer and how first he and then both of us had become ill too. First we scoffed. Then we thought. What if we had cought a related bird flu virus off those birds?

-------------------
Enough. Fingers tired.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Brilliant! If we do a whole bunch of characters we can eventually have them tell their individual stories before bringing them all together. We can also include other non bushcrafty groups who have natural imunity for some reason. Perhaps heroin addicts would be imune due to the amount of drugs in their bodies. They would also be extremely dangerous and would need to be dealt with. Once everyone has met up we can describe the skills needed to run a community - shelter building, water procurement etc, and introduce bushcraft skills in use within the story line.

Let's open it up to everyone though. Anyone reading this should be able to contribute their ideas. It doesn't matter if you can't write, just put down your basic ideas so we can incorporate them into the story. You can PM me the ideas or suggestions if you don't want to post here.

Eric

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
One thing about this story. Considerable amounts of it probably don't contain much direct link to bushcraft. We should weave into the story some long journeys made on foot or canoe, or sled. We might extend the time frame to several years. A journey through familier geography when returned to nature.

With my London family there is a number of threads of the tale to tell. There is the father, the mother. There is the tale of the fleeting boyfriend from another family who might have caught the protective virus from Carelle.

Then it might be relevant to tell the stories of some people who did not survive. A newspaper reporter or investigative journalist would have a tale to tell.

We might think through how to eradicate petrol supplies or access to them early in the crisis so that loss of powered transport comes early into the story.

No reason to write it in chronological order. Could pick a bit from a later time in the story and write it in.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
That's ace Eric, and Rich - the diary is a good idea too.

Eric_Methven said:
Perhaps heroin addicts would be imune due to the amount of drugs in their bodies. They would also be extremely dangerous and would need to be dealt with.

Eric

That's a bit unfair Eric. Really, Heroin addicts may have survived but I don't think they'd be any danger unless you happened to have heroin and weren't giving it to them!
Perhaps it could be hoardes of Daily Mail readers who survived because of a special solvent in the ink..? :yikes:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Eric if you are looking for a group to play a "dangerous" part, how about one of the original group passing on the virus to a prison population?
Or even the only people who were innoculated in time were prisoners? :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE