Bushcrafting with dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I have a 4-year old border collie and I want to take it on some bushcrafting trips, to fight the loneliness on my bushtrips. (I'm the only one in my family whoes interested in it and do it)
But i'll ask you!: I presume that he can go with me, but for how many degrees (C) can it keep itself warm? Has a very thick fur! (up to 8-9 cm. hair) :icon_arro Not so experienced with dogs, again so i'll hope that some of you are!? :icon_ques :icon_excl

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
When going camping or doing bushcraft for pleasure I often take my dog with me - apart from being crap at bow drill he's a good companion.

I wouldnt worry about your dog getting to cool - if the temperature drops to much he will use you, or your fire for warmth.

Hardest thing to get used to is trusting your dog not to run off at night - it took me many nights before I could sleep soundly and not worry about waking up and finding the dog gone. Of course you can tie it up but I feel this is unfair - why should I be allowed to enjoy a moment of freedom when he can't.

Also remember to carry enough food for him, even if you dont worry about yourself you must carry food and water for your dog.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
My dog is a right woos. He has a thin coat and feels the cold, so insists on snuggling up against me. I carry a light blanket for him, and dry food. He has even slept in the hennessy with me. To begin with he was a pain in the neck, as he insisted on barking at passing snails all night, then next time he reserved his howls to join in with the dawn chorus. He is finally getting the hang of outdoor sleeping and allows me to get some sleep aswell now.
Still aint caught me a rabbit though :rant:
Rich

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Mine neither - in fact I have walked him past Rabbits, Squirrels and even a herd of Deer and he didn't bat an eye lid but show him a fly! :banghead:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Not so experienced with dogs, again so i'll hope that some of you are!?
Might be a good idea of getting some experience... at least be able to handle a dog and keep it under control before you take it out as a bushcrafting companion. ;-)
Maybe just start with long day walks in the country.....

:)
Ed

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Ed: I do dayhikes nearly every day with my dog... :icon_idea ;D
I have a 100% control over it and can command it to do a lot of things. :biggthump So on that side of the case, it's all okay, what i meant with experience with dogs is that i don't know that much about a dogs anatomy and ability to live in the woods... ;)

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Theres a saying which says - Modern man is only 48 hours away from the cave man.

Well if thats the case modern dog is only an afternoon away.

I wouldnt worry about your dog - he's better equipped to survive than you.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I use my pooch as a furry hot water bottle....Excellent
I think it would be interesting trying to get all 6 stone of him into a Hennessey :rolmao:

Your dog should stand all but the very harshest UK weather (be sure to check hime for ticks often though and keep his frontline up to date) :headbang:

S

slyfox

i would say it comes down to what your dog is used to, if your dog is used to a warm climate then it's not ready for the cold,as i have a Husky that shivers in the snow.
Sly. :shock:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I haven't been bushcrafting with my spaniel but he has no trouble keeping warm. Sometimes he is too enthusiastic and he's cold but doesn't realise. The most difficult is the warm weather at the moment, he still runs around like a mad thing and then nearly overheats. I have to keep him at heel for his own good.

As for catching rabbits given the chance he is an expert. I took him shooting when he was a bit too young and he caught a deer! A bit embarrassing and it took a lot of training to correct that.

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE