Bushcrafting with a pack animal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Anyone do this? I was chatting to SWMBO this morning whilst raiding the kitchen to add things to my camp stores kit, and she said "Why don't you just get a donkey?"

It was meant as a joke, but it got me thinking. Hardy pack animal to do the carrying = no need to wear more than a tiny amount of kit yourself. Lots of advantages, and it only needs grazing/browse plus water. Could be kept in a relatively small space (we actually decided a goat would be the perfect solution!), and so long as there are no dogs roaming about there are no predators to worry about.

In a true emergency, you have a handy supply of meat.

Only downsides I can see are the inability to go seriously off-road i.e. climbing, and your profile isn't quite so low. Plus transporting it if you live somewhere where you can't just walk out of the door and go camping. And you need somewhere to keep it.

I haven't got the latter, so it isn't a practical idea for me, just was wondering, does anyone on here do this, or have you done it in the past?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have done so, but never in the UK.

For an entertaining read about how difficult the use and management of a donkey can be, find a copy of Tim Moore's 'Spanish Steps: Travels With My Donkey'.

The works of Horace Kephart are probably worth a browse.

Additionally I think the now missing 'downloads' section of this site may have provided an ebook on the use of pack animals, maybe someone can post a link to it.

Finally, something to keep your gear in while it is strapped to your animal, the wannigan.

:)

Last edited:

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Its certainly something I would love to do. Somewhere like Yellow Stone Park or South American, or Eurasia. A month long trek on a horse would be a fantastic experience.

I cant see it working in the UK though, because of a lack of space. Perhaps the New Forest or equivalent, but even then....I wonder if its possible to rent an animal or two in the UK for an extended period of time? I suppose that would mean an organised trek with someone to manage the animals and set destinations. That or a serious level of pre-organisation, where the route and every stop with animal supplies would be prearranged. Might be viable if organised as some kind of charity bimble.

Unless you are out in some serious wilderness, I should imagine any animal would become a restriction on your freedom and a pain in the backside.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
the other alternative is a large breed dog, such as the newfoundland, they have been used as load bearing beasts for a long time, either pulling trailers, even loaded with packs, not to same extent as donkeys or horses, but still a useable weight. don't think they are used today, but it could be a uk alternative.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Some time ago i recal some enterprising folks in Ireland were offering something along these lines, using i think llama's.

Rob

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Yep that's my suggestion - a llama!

Could definitely cope with steep climbs, they have special toes for it what with larking about in the Andes, as is their wont.

Could you get one in the back of your car though? :D

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Yep that's my suggestion - a llama!

Could definitely cope with steep climbs, they have special toes for it what with larking about in the Andes, as is their wont.

Could you get one in the back of your car though? :D

Well i could, i drive a toyota van.

Rob

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
there are a few places in the uk that do so called llama trekking and stuff, mostly they turn out to be a short hike followed by a picnic.

i have recently bought a pair of sadle bags for my dog, but someone suggested that it'd be illegal to get the mutt to cary anything, 'cause you can't use a dog as a beast of burden in the uk. who knew? :confused:

cheers, and.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Try reading this: Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes by R. L. Stevenson. I read it years ago and loved it. Stevenson's relationship with his stroppy donkey (Modestine) may put you off the idea!

S

SDJC

One of the best holidays I've had in recent years was where a group of five of us travelled with a Donkey in the French Alps. We went on a six day trek into the complete wilderness - some days we didn't see anyone else. Having the donkey meant we could travel in relative comfort whilst still backpacking - the donkey carried our food and tents and we filled up water bottles from glacier streams and used puritabs.

I was suprised at how good at offroading the donkey was! True, it couldn't come with us when we climbed up to a mountain top at 3,000 metres (it's hooves wouldn't have had any grip on the glacier!), but we just tied it up and collected it at the end of the day. Not only was the holiday great fun but we got some amazing photos too!!

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Most of my time out in the forest is spent with my daughter and her pony, he is a 12 hand welsh mountain pony. He comes in very handy for helping carry kit, and loves being out in any weather.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
the other alternative is a large breed dog, such as the newfoundland, they have been used as load bearing beasts for a long time, either pulling trailers, even loaded with packs, not to same extent as donkeys or horses, but still a useable weight. don't think they are used today, but it could be a uk alternative.

Like this
DSC00180a-1.jpg

They can comfortably carry approx 10% of their body weight, about 8-10kg in his case. With a cart he could carry considerably more, the terrain would dictate which was more appropriate.

Last edited:

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I met a woman on horseback in The Lammermuirs in the 80's when I was exploring the old pack and drove roads up there. It turned out she lived not far from me in Edinburgh and we met on a couple of occasions. She showed great interest when I related a couple of trips I'd made into the Border Hills, one from Teviotdale to Carlisle in the tracks of Buccleuch's raid to free Kinmont Wullie, apparently sworn enemies?????? Maybe Buccleuch wanted to do him at a later date!

She suggested a similar journey on horseback. I am no horseman, though, and it's great pity it never came to pass, as following the footsteps of The Border Reivers using the same mode of transport would certainly put an entirely different perspective on such a journey.

I'm sure I remember Nicholas Crane crossing the Solway on horseback on one of the Coast progs, so perhaps there are companies doing such trips.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
my Mother's side of the family have always been horsey people and I really want to try to travel Britain with a cowboy type set up(mabey a walking stick in the rifle sling). would be a great journey.

Last edited:

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Ha, ha, Southey, I've no idea how popular it is, but there are people who dress as Cowboys and shoot balloons in one of the local village pubs.

There's also an old Farmer around here who is out on his horse on a regular basis. I've spoken to him a few times and he's a quietly self confident soul, the picture of contentment. You can just tell that the horse adores him and vice-versa.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hehe, although i like the idea of routin toutin through quiet wiltshir villages, i only mean the saddle and tack. they look a lot more comfy for long distance travel.I wonder if by sticking as close to the coast as possible, weather you can get most of the way round, only cutting inland to avoid industry and citys, are you allowed to take a horse onto any beach or are there bylaws regarding this? can you graze a horse on any, common land for a night? hmm plans.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The US Army makes use of pack animals and of course they have a field manual covering pack animal use, 'FM 31-27 Pack Animals in Support of Special Operations Forces'. You can download a .pdf copy from here.

Dingus Magee

Loitering within tent
Nov 22, 2008
Darkest Aberdeenshire
I've done a bit of this in the Cairngorms...I used to work on an estate there and used the stalking ponies You can ride one and lead t'other, or just walk and lead a pony laden with all your gear in two wickerwork panniers. You walk at a far slower speed though and you have to think about what you do at night, as regards keeping your horses near you. You can hobble them, if they're used to that or else you need to build some kind of a corral; shouldn't be a problem for 'bushcraft types' though. I used to plan the expeditions beforehand to take advantage of sheepfolds, friendly crofters with a spare paddock etc. Great days :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE