Bushcrafting with a pack animal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 8, 2010
new england
i used to be work as a mule packer in the selway bitterroot mountains located in montana and idaho . the outfit i worked for did back country camping trips and hunting trips in some very rugged terrain, the mules could go just about anywhere, they were amazing animals. horses were a different story. packing and leading a pack string is not something that can be learned from a book as there are so many 'tricks' that need to be learned to ensure a safe and trouble free trip. even leading a solo pack animal in gentle terrain could be a lot of work, to the point where the pack animal consumes almost all of your time and attention. that being said , a pack trip is a great experiance with any amount of opportunities to learn new skills and practice the the ones you have in a traditional working situation

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Calvin Rutstrum is your man. If I remember right The New Way of the Wilderness has a fairly comprehensive chapter on pack travel, amongst many other things, if this is an arm-chair adventure...but as with all things, first hand experience, and a competent guide wont be beaten...

You need a Caucasian mountain dog :) Never seen one carrying anything before but as big or bigger than a Newfoundland. Very popular breed in Transylvania and a good warning system and protector when laying in your tent with bears and wolves outside :) They are incredibly ferocious, but very loyal and protective of owner and family. However, never do what my neighbour did and fill the food bowl in the rain with her hood up. Her backside was not a pretty sight by the time she got back to the house! Incredibly, the dog was so upset when he realised his mistake that he went into a sad sulk for two weeks :(

holycrapdog2.jpg

By the way the above picture is not of my neighbour and her dog..... unfortunately! :)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2010
UK
I have used my Clydesdale horse as a pack animal... when I was breaking him in and he was too young to ride. It was brilliant, I went through the Yorkshire Dales on the old miners tracks and drovers roads.

Movement of animals with cloven hooves is restricted by the government. They need a movement order to leave their registerd holding, and then they have to be moved to another registerd holding. This is to prevent the spread of foot and mouth. Might be why goats aren't a frequent sight on the fells!

Even the smallest pony can be a world of expense and is a time consuming hobby in itself. Although some equines can live in a field 24/7 most can't because they become fat, cold or laminitic. Each pony/donkey requires 1/2-1 acre of land and access to shelter. Grass livery is about £15 per week, DIY stabled livery is about £25 plus depending upon what you get for your money. Add to this annual vaccination, farriery/barefoot trimming, hard feed, hay, worming and publilc liabiliy insurance and most equines and donkeys cost their owners 1k plus a year to keep.... not to mention hours of hard work! Ofcourse us horsey peeps think it is worth every penny and every hour!
Small ponies have been going through the auction ring for as little as £30 (meat money) and I have seen fully paperd horses 'free to take away'.... Well trained horses, ponies and donkeys can sell for thousands. The cheapest part about any horse, donkey or pony is buying it!

If you want to get in to horses the British Horse Society or British Driving Society will give you local contacts. Equines are not something to learn as you go along.... even the smallest pony can kill a human if they are not handled correctly.

that is one big beautiful dog !!

I was first introduced to this breed a few years ago when I heard something growling on the other side of a fence when I was standing in my friends vegetable garden. I had to look twice when I turned around as it appeared as big as lion! These dogs are used by transhumance shepherds to protect their flocks from wolves and bears and pose a formidable force in a pack.

I have heard of Newfoundland dogs being kitted out with saddle bags to carry supplies, but if an adult can only carry about 10kgs in weight, I am sure they would soon get through that allowance with their own food requirements :)

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
my Mother's side of the family have always been horsey people and I really want to try to travel Britain with a cowboy type set up(mabey a walking stick in the rifle sling). would be a great journey.

ah, check this dude's trips out.

http://www.spiveysabertoothknife.com/Product/product.htm

not entirely sure about his knife though....

dogs carrying about 10% of their weight eh? so my spaniador should be good for about three and a half pounds! :lmao:

cheers, and.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
And of course there is the classic "Travelling with a donkey in the Cevennes" by Robert Louis Stephenson.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE