Bushcrafting stereotype

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Can't walk more than two foot six off the A590 without saying they are "In the Bush"

Needs a bit of Reindeer pelt as a backdrop for any kit photo.

Has an unnatural obsession with wooden spoons.

Doesn't own or rent any woodland but has a felling axe.

Has a leather hat but occasionally wears a tinfoil hat instead.

Is the tin foil hat to stop 'the messages'?!

Hoggy

Jan 30, 2010
uk
SWMBO sees a cute bunny scampering across a field a bushcrafter sees lunch and a pair of gloves

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Too far down the page to find the quotes but the student bushcrafter seems to merge somewhat with the teenage bushcrafter, just with a slightly tighter budget.
Oh and I've long given up with the teenage prejudice because I know I'm not as knowledgeable as some of you lot but I feel I fit the spirit of bushcrafting. I have quite a lot of skills, I'm willing to learn and I'm willing to teach them to others. After the respect a lot of you guys have given me without knowing me from adam, I don't mind if the odd person now and then is a bit skeptical about a teenager with a knife (or 10)!

That was the whole point of the student bushcrafter :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I refer you to a picture of wayland sitting in the recent snow :)

Melting_Snow.jpg

Nah... Not wearing a leather hat...
nana.gif

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Can't walk more than two foot six off the A590 without saying they are "In the Bush"

Needs a bit of Reindeer pelt as a backdrop for any kit photo.

Has an unnatural obsession with wooden spoons.

Doesn't own or rent any woodland but has a felling axe.

Has a leather hat but occasionally wears a tinfoil hat instead.

That had me laughing out loud!

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
SWMBO sees a cute bunny scampering across a field a bushcrafter sees lunch and a pair of gloves

Love that. It's all part of looking at things differently from most folk. As for the olive/brown clothes, brimmed hats, sharps, too many rucksacks & stoves, well it#s all part of the process.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
now i know we all cherish the idea that we are all different, and many of us like the idea of being seen as 'not quite the norm', but i was thinking about stereotypes the other day, and got to wondering whether there is such a thing as a stereotypical bushcrafter.

Is there a 'uniform' that we wear? How do you spot a bushcrafter?

So, lets invent a bushcrafting stereotype. We can call him bushcrafting bob. He might be betty's cousin or something. I'm a ssuming he's male. That seems to be the majority vote on here.

So what does bob wear? What does he look like? What kit does he carry?

I'll start off by saying that he probably has a beard, carries an unecessarily sharp knife, and a axe just because he owns one.

Or is that just me?

Contributions please :d

q. How do you spot a bushcrafter?

A.you dont unless he/she wants to be seen.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
q. How do you spot a bushcrafter?

Follow the smoke trail!

I guess a stereotype is not what we think of ourselves, but what others think of us. So it would go like this :

Billy no mates, sat in a forest, eating raw meat outside his cave inventing a wheel with some stone and wood. He will survive no matter what, but will smell a bit, have bad teeth and ripped clothes.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Billy no mates, sat in a forest, eating raw meat outside his cave inventing a wheel with some stone and wood. He will survive no matter what, but will smell a bit, have bad teeth and ripped clothes.

I think i met this billy bloke that you are talking about , think he works for scottish wildlife trust .

Craig...................

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Wow, it's obvious from this thread that we are all completely different. Nothing in common at all. Definitely.

See, I told you I wasn't like other people... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE