Bushcrafting stereotype

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Now I know we all cherish the idea that we are all different, and many of us like the idea of being seen as 'not quite the norm', but I was thinking about stereotypes the other day, and got to wondering whether there is such a thing as a stereotypical bushcrafter.

Is there a 'uniform' that we wear? How do you spot a bushcrafter?

So, lets invent a bushcrafting stereotype. We can call him Bushcrafting Bob. He might be Betty's cousin or something. I'm a ssuming he's male. That seems to be the majority vote on here.

So what does Bob wear? What does he look like? What kit does he carry?

I'll start off by saying that he probably has a beard, carries an unecessarily sharp knife, and a axe just because he owns one.

Or is that just me?

Contributions please :D

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Is a bit of a loner, but enjoys the company of like minded folk. Enjoys wildlife and prefers the look of handmade to "off the shelf" mass produced items. Loves BBQs. Wears earthy colours rather than just green I would reckon. Doesn't care so much about his appearance and wears clothing that is more functional than fashionable. Has an addiction to drinking alchohol around fires LOL

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh gawd...so far this is me to a "T"
I have just returned from 2 nights out in the pouring rain, where I whittled the start of a spoon (when not sipping Sloe Gin with my few friends around the fire...after the bbq) while wearing my green Ventile, Swanni (and blanket made pullover) over my large paunch - my clothing has more pockets than I have things to lose in them....
I had left my SFA at home though!
The name is "John" not "Bob" and Betty is the woman I love not my cousin!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Oh gawd...so far this is me to a "T"
I have just returned from 2 nights out in the pouring rain, where I whittled the start of a spoon (when not sipping Sloe Gin with my few friends around the fire...after the bbq) while wearing my green Ventile, Swanni (and blanket made pullover) over my large paunch - my clothing has more pockets than I have things to lose in them....
I had left my SFA at home though!
The name is "John" not "Bob" and Betty is the woman I love not my cousin!

I very nearly said - meet John Fenna, and my God that was a soggy one.

For those of you who watched 'Come fly with me' we may not look like it, but we do have wives and girlfriends too.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Has a large preference for natural materials over artificially produced ones, is patient (or could be if he wanted too) and would take a slower pace of life anytime over the ratrace we got caught up in.....

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Now I know we all cherish the idea that we are all different, and many of us like the idea of being seen as 'not quite the norm', but I was thinking about stereotypes the other day, and got to wondering whether there is such a thing as a stereotypical bushcrafter.

Is there a 'uniform' that we wear? How do you spot a bushcrafter?

So, lets invent a bushcrafting stereotype. We can call him Bushcrafting Bob. He might be Betty's cousin or something. I'm a ssuming he's male. That seems to be the majority vote on here.

So what does Bob wear? What does he look like? What kit does he carry?

I'll start off by saying that he probably has a beard, carries an unecessarily sharp knife, and a axe just because he owns one.

Or is that just me?

Contributions please :D

Insists on carrying more methods to start a fire than neccesary. Who on earth needs multiple lighters, firesteels and dozens of matches, especially when everyone in the group carries them? :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE